South Beach/Coconut Grove

evolutiondob

I decided to stay an additional day after my Thanksgiving cruise on Freedom of the Seas. So, my 17 year old son, 12 year old daughter and I would like to stay someplace where there will be plenty to do once we get there without having to rent a car. A short cab ride to and from various points of interest is fine. We will already been doing the downtown/port stay (InterContinental the day before the cruise) so I thought it would be fun to stay in either South Beach or Coconut Grove. Being that I know NOTHING about either location (I'm from Virginia), I wanted to solict your thoughts on what would be the best location to stay. I'm not particularly interested in partying or anything like that since this is a family vacation, but some night life, nice shops, good restaurants and maybe a short taxi ride to the beach would be great. So, which location would you suggest? Also, could you recommend a hotel in whatever location you suggest? Thanks.

We live in Dade County and like the grove better than south beach. I think it is a better atmosphere and you get more for your $.

But the grove is not a short cab drive to the beach. The closest beach is Key Biscayne. You can see Biscayne Bay from various parts of the grove but no beach.

There are plenty of shops, night life and dining in the grove.

If you stay out on the south beach you walk to the beach and there are plenty of shops, restaurants, etc.

SoBe just kind of hits me as way to touristy, but everybody else loves it.

Hello neighbor! We also live in Manassas! :) We live near the hospital in the city of Manassas. We are staying at the Sonesta in Coconut Grove for a couple of days pre-cruise in July. They have a free shuttle that goes to South Beach (drops you off in the am and picks you up on the afternoon), as well as other areas of interest. They do not offer shuttle service from the airport or to the cruise terminal however. In looking over so many hotels, I found this to be the best choice for our family. It is rught across the street from CoCo Walk, numerous places toeat, for all budgets and they have kitchenetts also. The rooms and suites look quite nice on their web site, but don't they all? :) I also read some very good reviews of it. Good luck!

Seems like Coconut Grove is winning out. I'll start looking at hotels in that area.

NoVAMimi, hey neighbor - you are in my neck of the woods!! I have a Manassas address but I live on the 95 side off of 234 - very close to Montclair. I know exactly where the hospital is - I look a friend there years ago when she fractured her leg playing softball.

I like the idea of Sonesta having a free shuttle that goes to South Beach. I'm going to look and see how much their rates are. Got a steal on InterContinental on Priceline, and I believe Sonesta is also one of the participating hotels for that area.

We stayed at the Marriott South Beach several years ago. We were three families and everyone loved it. The teenage boys loved watching the activities on the beach and so did the dads. Restaurants were good and the pool area at the Marriott was really nice. Very small hotel.

Coral Gables is adjacent to Coconut grove.

If you leave the airport on Le Juene Rd (SW 42 Ave) going south, you will pass thru the Gables, you will cross Miracle Mile, pass close to the University of Miami, cross US#1 then enter the Grove.

Look at mapquest.com for exact directions to any of your intended destinations.

The Gables used to be the old $ place and the grove was more hip (hippies). That is changed now but they are both very nice places for locals and visitors alike.

Coral Gables is adjacent to Coconut grove.

If you leave the airport on Le Juene Rd (SW 42 Ave) going south, you will pass thru the Gables, you will cross Miracle Mile, pass close to the University of Miami, cross US#1 then enter the Grove.

Look at mapquest.com for exact directions to any of your intended destinations.

The Gables used to be the old $ place and the grove was more hip (hippies). That is changed now but they are both very nice places for locals and visitors alike.

Thanks for the input. I tried my hand on Priceline and ended up winning a night at the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables. The reviews have been mixed on Tripadvisor for this hotel. Honestly, I was hoping to win the Sonesta and stay in Coconut Grove, but that's the risk you taken when bidding on Priceline but I can't complain since I got the Hyatt for $95.

I was considering renting a car so that I can get around right after I disembark on Sunday, November 25, especially since I'm sure my room won't be ready. Are you familiar with any car rental agencies close to the port?

Hertz has a location in your hotel.

Maybe they will come to the port to pick you up( they claim that they will).

Or maybe the hotel has a shuttle they will send for you.

This came from the hertz.com web site.

Hyatt Regency Coral Gables

50 Alhambra Plaza txt_bullet.gif Coral Gables , Florida US Phone: 305-444-3099 txt_bullet.gif Fax: 305-444-7492 Hours of Operation: Mo-Fr 0830-1730, Sa 0930-1330, Su ClosedRental Services Provided By:

Coral Gables South Miami HLE, 370 South Dixie Highway

Please call the servicing location upon arrival to arrange for pickup or delivery service - 305-444-3099.

pixel.gif

Special Services at this Location:

pixel.gif

• Child Seats
  • Hand Controls

I decided to stay an additional day after my Thanksgiving cruise on Freedom of the Seas. So, my 17 year old son, 12 year old daughter and I would like to stay someplace where there will be plenty to do once we get there without having to rent a car. A short cab ride to and from various points of interest is fine. We will already been doing the downtown/port stay (InterContinental the day before the cruise) so I thought it would be fun to stay in either South Beach or Coconut Grove. Being that I know NOTHING about either location (I'm from Virginia), I wanted to solict your thoughts on what would be the best location to stay. I'm not particularly interested in partying or anything like that since this is a family vacation, but some night life, nice shops, good restaurants and maybe a short taxi ride to the beach would be great. So, which location would you suggest? Also, could you recommend a hotel in hatever location you suggest? Thanks.

There are a few areas you might be interested in:

Coral Gables is a great area. More lowkey with a lot of dining and shopping options. Walking around Miracle Mile is nice. YOu can wander into the stores up and down this street as well as take a short cab ride over to Village of MErrick Park for a really nice outdoor mall with restaurant options. Close by in the Gables is the Venetian Pool which I'm sure your kids would enjoy although being that it is slightly cooler around the time that you are coming you might not want to go. Its just depends on the day, but its a beuaitufl pool made from limestone and natural spring water.

http://www.venetianpool.com/

Coconot Grove is a great area becuase it caters to all types of people and ages. There are many shops to meander in and out of as well as restaurants. Everything is within walking distance and there is a trolley you can take that I believe is free and you can hop on and off. You can also take a nice stroll over to the park that sits right on the bay and enjoy the views of Miami Beach and the bay. You can visit Viscaya and the musuem of Science which are both a short cab ride away from the Grove.

http://www.coconutgrove.com/

Miami Beach has many places that could interest you and doesn't necesarily mean that you will be in the middle of the craziness of the clubbing. Lincoln Road Mall caters to families as it is an outdoor mall with plenty of shops, restaurants and you can spend the day walking up and down. Then making your way to the end of Ocean Drive where you meet the beach and walk around the boardwalk area (although its not real wooded boardwalk, but its a nice cemented pathway). The new Courtyard by Marriot on Washington Ave is a nice choice for a hotel for you and your kids to stay and walking around Washington ave you can visit the Miami Ink tatoo shop as well as walk around Collins and Oean during the day. You will find that its actually quite pleasant.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&resnum=0&um=1&q=courtyard+by+marriott&near=Miami+Beach,+FL&fb=1&latlng=25788053,-80131842,4477443148391449315

This is great information. We will be staying one night (two partial days) in Miami post cruise, having a rental car. We planned on doing our own car tour of the city, with a few stops for shopping and restaurants. This is definitely going to help in the planning. There is another great thread about Miami restaurants. CC posters have the best help. Although not the OP, thanks for the help. Carole

There are a few areas you might be interested in:

Coral Gables is a great area. More lowkey with a lot of dining and shopping options. Walking around Miracle Mile is nice. YOu can wander into the stores up and down this street as well as take a short cab ride over to Village of MErrick Park for a really nice outdoor mall with restaurant options. Close by in the Gables is the Venetian Pool which I'm sure your kids would enjoy although being that it is slightly cooler around the time that you are coming you might not want to go. Its just depends on the day, but its a beuaitufl pool made from limestone and natural spring water.

http://www.venetianpool.com/

Coconot Grove is a great area becuase it caters to all types of people and ages. There are many shops to meander in and out of as well as restaurants. Everything is within walking distance and there is a trolley you can take that I believe is free and you can hop on and off. You can also take a nice stroll over to the park that sits right on the bay and enjoy the views of Miami Beach and the bay. You can visit Viscaya and the musuem of Science which are both a short cab ride away from the Grove.

http://www.coconutgrove.com/

Miami Beach has many places that could interest you and doesn't necesarily mean that you will be in the middle of the craziness of the clubbing. Lincoln Road Mall caters to families as it is an outdoor mall with plenty of shops, restaurants and you can spend the day walking up and down. Then making your way to the end of Ocean Drive where you meet the beach and walk around the boardwalk area (although its not real wooded boardwalk, but its a nice cemented pathway). The new Courtyard by Marriot on Washington Ave is a nice choice for a hotel for you and your kids to stay and walking around Washington ave you can visit the Miami Ink tatoo shop as well as walk around Collins and Oean during the day. You will find that its actually quite pleasant.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&resnum=0&um=1&q=courtyard+by+marriott&near=Miami+Beach,+FL&fb=1&latlng=25788053,-80131842,4477443148391449315

I was wondering if you think it's best to have a rental car or to just use a taxi to get around?

I love Coconut Grove :0 We've stayed at the Grand Bay ( used to be a Wyndham property ) pre and post cruise a number of times. We're staying there again in a few weeks. I love Cafe TuTu Tango in Cocowalk. I was just there this past April, and Cocowalk was having a Grand reopening celebration.

I was wondering if you think it's best to have a rental car or to just use a taxi to get around?

It really all depends on where you choose to stay and where you would like to go. If you choose to stay in the Grove area and walk around there then you really won't need a cab. Same thing goes for the beach area. The problem would be parking, especially on the beach. There is no parking available and you will have to valet so your car rental expense will begin to climb. I think for one day you are better off cabbing it around. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
It really all depends on where you choose to stay and where you would like to go. If you choose to stay in the Grove area and walk around there then you really won't need a cab. Same thing goes for the beach area. The problem would be parking, especially on the beach. There is no parking available and you will have to valet so your car rental expense will begin to climb. I think for one day you are better off cabbing it around. :cool:

I bid on Priceline hoping to get a hotel Coconut Grove and ended up with Hyatt Regency Coral Gables. So, from Coral Gables, is it better to get a rental car to get around or would using a cab suffice? My plan is to get to one of the closest beaches for most of the day.

I bid on Priceline hoping to get a hotel Coconut Grove and ended up with Hyatt Regency Coral Gables. So, from Coral Gables, is it better to get a rental car to get around or would using a cab suffice? My plan is to get to one of the closest beaches for most of the day.

Yes, if you are staying in Coral Gables and want to hit the beaches and sightsee, rent a car.

I'd try hotwire for a cheap car rental.

You'll love Coral Gables and Coconut Grove! Very lovely areas!

Yes, if you are staying in Coral Gables and want to hit the beaches and sightsee, rent a car.

I'd try hotwire for a cheap car rental.

You'll love Coral Gables and Coconut Grove! Very lovely areas!

Is Coconut Grove relatively easy to get to from Coral Gables? Also, what would be the closest beach to the Coral Gables area - I don't necessarily have to be South Beach.

Is Coconut Grove relatively easy to get to from Coral Gables? Also, what would be the closest beach to the Coral Gables area - I don't necessarily have to be South Beach.

Yes it is very simple, and close by. The closest beach would be on Key Biscayne, either Hobie Beach or Crandon Park.

As a supplement to what's already been posted....if you're looking for a calm, bayside beach, then Hobie Beach on the Biscayne Beach is just that. There are no big waves there, but plenty of shallow water. There are plenty of HobieCats, windsurfers, etc. to rent there - cross over the Rickenbacker Causeway to the continuation of the beach on the other side of the bridge to find some of those types of activities. If it's a day where rip currents are an issue, you shouldn't find that at Hobie Beach. I live right across the street from the beaches on the Biscayne Bay shores and notice that they are very crowded on the weekends, more so in the summer. It shouldn't be too bad in November.

If you are more for liking the waves, then the beaches of Crandon Park on the Atlantic Ocean side will be more desirable to you. Again, check for rip current status if you plan to wade out very far.

If you're into jet skiing or boating, there are rentals of both across the street from the beach on the bay side, at Rickenbacker Marina.

Archived