LA Hotels

SAMMYR

I recommend the Hyatt Regency in Long Beach. There is a beautiful view from the hotel of the harbor, the Queen Mary hotel, and a marina with many restaurants to choose from. Great during the day and evening. There is also an aquarium and a Borders book store nearby. This area offers a free shuttle bus to the highlights that runs frequently.

• 3 weeks later...
I just bid on priceline for a 3 star hotel in San Pedro and my winning bid was $65 plus taxes totaling $81. This was at the Crown Plaza and I have heard people winning at the Doubletree also. They both offer free shuttle to the port.

This is for our upcoming DEC cruise on the Golden, There is lots of information on the west coast board also.

Can you give me the URL or street address to the Crown Plaza or Doubletree that offers free shuttle service to the port?

Do they also have a shuttle from the LAX to their hotel?

We are going on the Golden on Oct. 27th cruise and want to stay 1 night (Fri.) before the cruise, so all we need is a place that is nice to sleep at and has some type of food at it, or at least within a short walk.

Thanks!

Can you give me the URL or street address to the Crown Plaza or Doubletree that offers free shuttle service to the port?

Do they also have a shuttle from the LAX to their hotel?

We are going on the Golden on Oct. 27th cruise and want to stay 1 night (Fri.) before the cruise, so all we need is a place that is nice to sleep at and has some type of food at it, or at least within a short walk.

Thanks!

Its my understanding you you can't get a shuttle to both

here is the address

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/laxpv?rpb=hotel&crUrl=/h/d/cp/1/en/availsearch&ias=y

Can I expand the OP's original question a bit? (hopefully without threadjacking)

We are doing the same thing - flying in the day before our cruise.

Like the OP, I also wondered what the best area to stay, etc would be. And thank you to those who have posted such great ideas.

My DH has been to California many many times on business but rarely has taken time to do any sightseeing. I, on the other hand, I have never stepped foot in California before this trip.

So, for those of you very familiar with that area, knowing that you only have ONE day to see the local sights... what ONE thing would you recommend as a "must see" in the area?

Thought I would chip in, never been to LA before but our TA recommended Crowne Plaza, San Pedro for a pre cruise night..no hassle getting to pier, pretty close. So have booked that. I have checked with the hotel they have no shuttle from LAX to the hotel, but shuttle..(free) from hotel to pier, only a mnute or two. We will either 'supershuttle or cab it from LAX to Crown Plaza Hotel, San Pedro, precruise.

We are doing other things in the Americas pre cruise, e.g. Peru, but our first base in USA will be Crowne Plaza, Beverley Hills for 4 days..doing a few day tours from there.

So there are a couple of hopefully reasonable hotels for you, even if they are recommended by an Aussie who has never been on mainland USA before, only to Hawaiian Islands and Alaska. Life is an adventure.!

Cheers.:cool:

I see this got moved from the Princess board (was wondering how soon it would take before that happened).

As for the question of must does: there's so many things in Southern California, which is why tourism is big here. So let us know if you're into sightseeing, museum viewing, shopping, sunworshiping or just chilling. The best thing if your stay is very short is to limit yourself to one area as Los Angeles County alone is very widespread.

Thanks for the suggestions pointed out in the replies here. I'm totally clueless on this area and have not had an opportunity to do much research. I am considering booking a Carnival Mexican Rivera cruise from Long Beach in May of 2008. I need to consider the hotel and airfare options before booking. Since I have no knowledge of the area the suggestions already posted are somewhat confusing. What I'm looking for is a hotel to stay at pre & post cruise that will be close to the port. Something that either has a resturant in it or one located reasonably close. I don't plan on sight seeing so that won't affect my choice. If you can reccomend a place close to the port can you also give me an idea how far from LAX this hotel is (minutes wise) Thank you!!

I couldn't figure out how I missed this whole thread, but I guess it was on another board for a while.:confused:

To much info to get to each person on an individual basis, but please please please, do yourselves all a big favor and check out this thread first...:D

LOTS of various local hotel and sightseeing info, pros of each location...

This should help most of you out...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=10735290

Take advantage of a native's information!;)

CJW

Thanks for the suggestions pointed out in the replies here. I'm totally clueless on this area and have not had an opportunity to do much research. I am considering booking a Carnival Mexican Rivera cruise from Long Beach in May of 2008. I need to consider the hotel and airfare options before booking. Since I have no knowledge of the area the suggestions already posted are somewhat confusing. What I'm looking for is a hotel to stay at pre & post cruise that will be close to the port. Something that either has a resturant in it or one located reasonably close. I don't plan on sight seeing so that won't affect my choice. If you can reccomend a place close to the port can you also give me an idea how far from LAX this hotel is (minutes wise) Thank you!!

Definitely select a hotel in Long Beach. You can check out the various threads that discuss the hotels there. Don't expect a free shuttle from LAX to this area, but many of the LB hotels should have a shuttle to the Port of LB. I would also check out the Auto Club website. Whenever we decide to travel, I stop into our local AAA and get the tour book for the location as the hotel listings are pretty comprehensive and help me narrow down my research. Then I go on various hotel websites and see which ones have local transportation.

An alternative to LAX would be either Long Beach airport or Orange County airport, but there are less options for airlines and flights. But also a lot less hassle from what I heard.

Again thanks to all for your input. I also thought the thread disappeared. Have booked the downtown Marriott along with 2 other couples. Will have a car to get around. Using Marriott points so it turned out to be good deal. October is getting closer.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn at 2005 N. Highland Avenue in Hollywood for two nights in April prior to our Panama Canal Cruise. It was a great location with a shopping mall area with bars and restaurants leading onto the avenue of the stars within about 10 mintues walk in one direction and the Hollywood Bowl 10 minutes in the other. Lots of people around so did not feel at all vulnerable. Booked a trip through the hotel which went to Beverly Hill, Bel Air, Santa Monica, Venice Beach which was great. Hotel also arranged taxi to San Pedro for around $50.

Also visited a museum between the hotel and Hollywood Bowl which was situated in the barn which was used for the very first movie (now in a different location but same buidling) which was very interesting.

There were several hotels in the area to choose from but it is a great location for a couple of days sightseeing.

Archived