THE LABADEE ZIP LINE - Everything You Always Wanted To Know

Am I reading correctly that this is going to be $90 for ONE ride?? If so, not for me, thanks. If this is your only opportunity to try ziplining, I'd say go ahead, but after doing canopy tours in Puerto Vallarta and Costa Rica -- an entire jungle-full for LESS, I would never even consider this! ~ Peri

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Avidcruiser']I am planning on doing this in our visit to Labdee over the holidays. My only question is do you have to walk up to the top, or do you get driven. If you walk, how challenging of a walk is it?[/quote]

You drive to the top in an open Jeep.

• 3 weeks later...
On the RCCL website the description for this excursion lists the weight limit as 250 lbs.

People in this thread indicate it may be 220lbs. I can make 250lbs, but not 220lbs :)

Anyone who has gone recently know what the weight limit is?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Once you finish the zipline, can you just hang out on the beach, eat and drink for the remainder of the day? Are there buses that shuttle you to and from the ship to this zipline? or I think I read it's a 10 min walk. is this true? Thanks for your help!

[quote name='Schoochie3']Once you finish the zipline, can you just hang out on the beach, eat and drink for the remainder of the day? Are there buses that shuttle you to and from the ship to this zipline? or I think I read it's a 10 min walk. is this true? Thanks for your help![/quote]Yes, if your zip line time is early enough in the day, you have the rest of the day to relax on the island, shop, eat, enjoy the live performers, etc. There are not shuttles that take you from spot to spot around the island. You heard correctly, it's quite a walk from the tender dock to the zip line. We didn't walk it - we took the shuttle. It may even be more than 10 minutes.

Enjoy Labadee - it is beautiful and there is something for everyone there!

[quote name='swwake']Yes, if your zip line time is early enough in the day, you have the rest of the day to relax on the island, shop, eat, enjoy the live performers, etc. There are not shuttles that take you from spot to spot around the island. You heard correctly, it's quite a walk from the tender dock to the zip line. We didn't walk it - we took the shuttle. It may even be more than 10 minutes.

Enjoy Labadee - it is beautiful and there is something for everyone there![/quote]

Wait I'm confused so there are NOT shuttles???
also my sister think she will be too afriad to do the zipline, if there are shuttles can she come with us, and stay on the beach and take the pictures? how much are the shuttles?

[quote name='Schoochie3']Wait I'm confused so there are NOT shuttles???
also my sister think she will be too afriad to do the zipline, if there are shuttles can she come with us, and stay on the beach and take the pictures? how much are the shuttles?[/quote]
I am sorry. I meant there ARE shuttles. I was typing "there are not buses, but open air shuttles" but then I went back to edit and just say "there are shuttles". I forgot to take out the "not". So sorry to alarm you.

Shuttles are free, but the drivers happily accept tips. We arrived at a shuttle stop just after a driver left, and he either circled back or reversed a small distance to get us (I can't remember), so we gave him $1 per person when we got off. Just an example of someone going out of their way.

There is a really nice, really long beach beneath the zip line. Your sister can stay there (I think you can see it in some of the pictures). Dragon's Breath is right there also, but we got in trouble for trying to walk out to it - you can't get too close. There is also a (burger) buffet very close by.

[COLOR=navy]I too am wondering if anyone has done the zipline lately and if the weight limit is really 250 like it says on the RCCL website? [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000080][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000080]Also, do they check you at the bottom for weight? If they lower it and my husband can't go with our son, that means I have to take the plunge!![/COLOR]

They built a very similar zipline like this in Icy Strait Point, Alaska. I did it this summer, and it was a lot of fun. Not sure I'd do it again because of the price (I think it was $86 for a 2 minute excursion)

Not scary at all though!

[quote name='mkca'][COLOR=navy]I too am wondering if anyone has done the zipline lately and if the weight limit is really 250 like it says on the RCCL website? [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000080][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000080]Also, do they check you at the bottom for weight? If they lower it and my husband can't go with our son, that means I have to take the plunge!![/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Depending on the weather and humidity for that day when you go, they may drop the weight limit to 200 lbs. On our cruise they did weigh the guy, and he was 203 and couldn't go .

But he got his money back for the ticket at the shore excursion desk.

[quote name='Trainman-2']At my age and with a heart attack and back surgery 6 months ago, taking photos seems to be best for me.

I really enjoy cruising and meeting new people either in person or through these boards.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for wonderful pictures. We saw this in Dec 07 but we didn't do this activity. Wow...beautiful. thank you.

Thank you for showing these pictures! My family and I are planning a cruise and so far the one we like stops in Labadee. I was looking at this excursion and couldn't tell from the little picture if it would be worth it. After seeing those pictures, I think it just might be!

My tiny 14 year old daughter is a little under 5 feet. are they strict with the height requirement. Does anyone know if they turned down kids just under 5 feet???

She really wants to do it!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Trainman,

I just thought I would identify one of your pics. You have it listed as 'source unknown'. That would actually be my hubby's pic. He was THE first person to register for the first run the very first day they opened on May 8, 2007.

I think it was a good idea for them to put a platform for the zipline cruisers to use. Early on, they just had ladders for the folks to climb down on. I've heard they've raised the price and slowed the line down. As well as added weight limits. Is that true?

Erika

[quote name='Trainman-2']Our son Calvin told us that they told him the only control was body position. If you stay tucked in and minimize your wind drag you can get up to 60 mph.

I saw two people stop just short of the landing area because they waved their arms and legs the entire way down.

The seat/harness are nicely designed and supports the riders butt so that they can wave their arms and legs all they want to.[/quote]

Will they allow you to take pictures while riding down?

GREAT post by the way...pics are awesome!

[quote name='ontheopenseas']I weigh about 1/2 of the top weight requirement. I read that the more you weigh, the faster you go. Is this true? If so, does it take away from the ride at all if you weigh less?[/QUOTE]

Five people go at a time and they set you up according to size and weight.
They will tell different people to get into different positions depending on their size and the wind etc.

They are in constant touch with the people on the ground so if the wind changes they will get a call up at the top and make position changes as necessary.

Your position will help to stabilize your speed. They really do a good job.

Archived