laptop stolen from stateroom?

detroitcruiser

We've taken a laptop on all our recent cruises and just kept it in a briefcase style satchel. I never took great pains to hide it...I guess I never really thought about it. Unless I heard otherwise based on a specific incident, I would think it would be a difficult item for someone ( I guess the person in question would be a cabin attendant??) to steal. From my experience on board small ships (large ones might be different) the crew would have a very difficult time concealing a stolen item , esp a large or distinctive one (unlike cash) and would from my experience have no expectation of privacy should their quarters need to be searched. If a cabin steward were dishonest, I would think it would be a one shot deal, and only for something really tempting, such as a large sum of cash (still not so sure even a less than honest cabin steward would risk it, too easy to find the $$ in their quarters) or something small and valuable (diamond ring, earrings??) Unlike a hotel on land, there arent many places to conceal stolen goods or people to pass it off too. A cabin steward wouldnt last long with more than one accusation of something missing.

This is just my opinion, I am curious if others have heard differently or experienced something else.

Cheers

Lisa

Take my laptop on every cruise and never had a problem. When we are at sea, I just leave it out on the desktop in full view. But on days when the ship is in port and you don't know who is aboard other than passengers, I either slip it in a drawer or in a suitcase, or even in its carrying case. I always make sure I have an identifying label attached with my name and cabin number, just in case I am careless enough to leave it somewhere I may have been like the library or the cafe. So far I haven't done that!:)

I have never had anything pilfered on a cruise. The fact is that where is the theif going to hide this? It would be really hard. Who do you think it going to be the most likely suspect- the room steward. Just isn't going to happen. I feel 100% safe and free of crime when I cruise.

Believe me, even if they didn't find the missing item- heads would roll. They can fire an employee if they suspect this and would obviously search his belongings prior to his forced dismissal.

I have heard about a theft on Princess-so I am sure it happens but it is rare.

Now cash is a different matter. I don't go to great pains to hide my cash but don't leave it lying around. Plus, I only travel with a couple hundred in cash. You can always get cash on your credit card.

I have had my laptop with me on all 9 cruises I have taken on Celebrity. I always leave it out and usually keep a GPS running even in port. It usually stays plugged in on the desk. I have never had a problem now do I think I would worry about it. If you are the nervous type you might buy one of those laptop cable locks for about $12. http://www.wesecure.com/laptop-lock.htm

I've taken my laptop on all our recent cruises and never have had a problem. I would be more concerned about strangers taking it than the Room Steward. The Steward would not jeopardize his job and career with a stolen computer. Keep it stored away when you are not using it.

I am considering taking my laptop on my upcoming cruise on Summit. Never done this before and was wondering what kind of experience other people have had. Is the laptop safe to leave in the room? Do you hide it? Do you lock it down?

Never had a problem. I would worry more about it getting stolen at the airport than from my cabin. I have an inexpensive "traveler" laptop I take on cruises.... and leave my "main" laptop at home. :eek: I worry more about someone breaking in my house and stealing that one than the one I am carrying on the trip. :D

We have taken our laptop with us on all the cruises we've been and we never had a problem. Actually, we never really had to hide the computer. Sometimes we put it in the laptop bag, sometimes we leave it out. I believe that it is extremely safe to take it with you. As mentioned by a previous person, I would be more worried that my house would be broken into while away, than something being stolen from the stateroom!

Never had a problem. I would worry more about it getting stolen at the airport than from my cabin. I have an inexpensive "traveler" laptop I take on cruises.... and leave my "main" laptop at home. :eek: I worry more about someone breaking in my house and stealing that one than the one I am carrying on the trip. :D

We do the same thing - take an inexpensive lap top & leave the other at home. We also do have a cable lock when we leave the room. We do hide it because I just don't want to "tempt" anyone by leaving it in plain sight. Are they goiing to search the entire ship and everyone on board for my laptop? I think not. So why take a chance.

Faith

Same for us - have always taken a laptop with us and have never had a problem, in fact have never even thought about it! Our view is that the risky time is the security check at airports en route, particularly those that insist that laptops are put through separately.

Archived