Restaurant Recommendation near Renaissance Chancery Court

I am taking some extended family members (all long-term or native Londoners) out to dinner and wanted to pick somewhere close to our hotel. I want something that isn't too loud, has comfortable service, and reasonably good food.

Thanks!

I am taking some extended family members (all long-term or native Londoners) out to dinner and wanted to pick somewhere close to our hotel. I want something that isn't too loud, has comfortable service, and reasonably good food.

Thanks!

Across the street, at 95-97 High Holborn street is "Café Pasta" - a good Italian restaurant - not too fancy, but quite good. Prices are reasonable, and good selection of wines.

Restaurants in the Chancery Court itself are quite "pricey"....:)

How close is "close"? Within 15 minutes walk, you have all of the restaurants of Covent Garden available to you - literally hundreds of them.

Hi Globaliser:

Unfortunately some of them are getting a bit elderly and the walk may be tough. I was planning on getting a taxi or two, but wanted to stay somewhat close. Covent Gardens would be fine as long as it isn't too loud and too rushed. I guess one could have a more relaxed dinner while the shows are going on.

I am curious to know the status of the area along the river past the tower bridge going towards the docklands? Anything of interest there?

Unfortunately some of them are getting a bit elderly and the walk may be tough. I was planning on getting a taxi or two, but wanted to stay somewhat close. Covent Gardens would be fine as long as it isn't too loud and too rushed. I guess one could have a more relaxed dinner while the shows are going on.
If you want really close by, then the Cafe Pasta and the Pizza Express next door (I think that both restaurants belong to the same company, actually) would be good bets as long as you didn't mind that sort of food.

Another good, but pricier place, is Asadal, a Korean restaurant in the basement of the building that houses Holborn Tube station - the entrance is on the Kingsway side of the corner pretty much right next to the Tube station.

But, as I say, in the Covent Garden area there are hundreds of restaurants of all different shapes, sizes and varieties. You just need to take your pick. On a map, I'm talking about the area bounded by Kingsway, Holborn, the Aldwych and the Strand, and going west from there. You'll see just how close all that is to your hotel.

I am curious to know the status of the area along the river past the tower bridge going towards the docklands? Anything of interest there?
As far as the river is concerned, the south side boasts a gold mine of dining opportunities. In the Butlers Wharf building, just downstream from Tower Bridge, there are the Butlers Wharf Chop House, the Pont de la Tour and the Cantina del Ponte. In the next building is an All Bar One and then a branch of ASK (pizza and pasta restaurant). The next building houses the Blueprint Cafe, and then the last one has a branch of Browns. All of these restaurants and bars have good river views. There are also some restaurants away from the actual river, but these are less noteworthy.

As far as the river is concerned, the south side boasts a gold mine of dining opportunities. In the Butlers Wharf building, just downstream from Tower Bridge, there are the Butlers Wharf Chop House, the Pont de la Tour and the Cantina del Ponte. In the next building is an All Bar One and then a branch of ASK (pizza and pasta restaurant). The next building houses the Blueprint Cafe, and then the last one has a branch of Browns. All of these restaurants and bars have good river views. There are also some restaurants away from the actual river, but these are less noteworthy.

I looked on line and there does seem to be quite a variety of restaurants on the south side. Brown's seems to be a better fit with kids than the Chop House. I have never had dinner right on the river so it is time for something new!

Thanks for the recommendations. SelectSys

If you are on a budget head for China Town (Gerrard, Lisle and Wardour Streets) for the best value in the area.

Generally speaking chain restaurants should be avoided as they do not reflect the food culture of the nation or the different peoples who live and thrive in our cosmpolitan capital.

If the budget allows, these establishments below, in this part of London, will return you a more memorable experience than just "food for fuel"

Rules - Henrietta Street - English - carte: allow £50 pp

Gay Hussar - Greek Street - Hungarian - carte: allow £40 pp

Ivy - West Street - Modern British "celebrity-gazing" - carte: allow £50 pp

J Sheekey - St.Martin's Court - Seafood - carte: allow £50 pp

Savoy Grill - The Strand - Modern French - Set Dinner £65 pp

If you are on a budget head for China Town (Gerrard, Lisle and Wardour Streets) for the best value in the area.

Generally speaking chain restaurants should be avoided as they do not reflect the food culture of the nation or the different peoples who live and thrive in our cosmpolitan capital.

If the budget allows, these establishments below, in this part of London, will return you a more memorable experience than just "food for fuel"

Rules - Henrietta Street - English - carte: allow £50 pp

Gay Hussar - Greek Street - Hungarian - carte: allow £40 pp

Ivy - West Street - Modern British "celebrity-gazing" - carte: allow £50 pp

J Sheekey - St.Martin's Court - Seafood - carte: allow £50 pp

Savoy Grill - The Strand - Modern French - Set Dinner £65 pp

Thanks for the advice. I generally agree with you regarding chains. The experience is not the highest available, but it can be OK. The focus of our evening is to meet with members of our extended family in a comfortable, relaxed manner.

Everyone in our party has been to Rules and the Savoy Grill (in addtion to Simpson's) in the past. As such, I really wanted to do something different that the kids would also enjoy rather than just enduring - especially my 12 year old son.

Globaliser's suggestion of river locations would be something new for my immediate family. I also thought a bit about Canary Warf, but that is probably more oriented towards business as well as being a bit further off.

Thanks again! SelectSys

• 2 months later...

Ricky88- just wanted to drop in here and say thank you for the suggestions of Cafe Pasta. We had dinner there on a couple of occasions and really enjoyed the food. It was so much more affordable than the Renaissance and we had a great time with our waiter. He was leaving for a three-week trip to the US and was staying four days in SF, so it was our turn to tell him about all the great restaurants there.

Globaliser, you're right, the same company owns both that and the pizza place - which also had fabulous pizza and affordable prices.

Anyhow, thanks for some good eats!

Charlie

Archived