Orion Expedition Cruises

Has anyone sailed with this line?

Considering a cruise to Paua New Guinea, terminating in Cairns. I love Australia so getting back to cairns would be great. But what reputation does this line have down under?

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

I don't have personal experience with Orion, so I am also keen for feedback on them.

I have had a look at a North Star cruises itinerary for a similar cruise. The boat is even smaller (36 passengers) and has it's own helicopter on board. Prices are slightly more expensive than Orion.

I haven't had any info on North Star's reputation yet either. Am not looking to do a cruise like this for 2 or 3 years, so I only have looked at the info from the website and their brochures so far.

Cheers,

Timing wise I am looking at 2009 as my scheduled trips for the balance of this year and 2008 are all set. Because of the early booking doscounts and the fact that I am a single passenger I want to get my reservations as early as possible. So getting inofrmation now is a must. The sailing dates so far cover up to Feb 2009...so I have asked my TA to contact the North American represenattive to find out how early I could reserve a category B and get the max early booking rate possible. I'm figuring the people in OZ have a better chance in early bookings than me...so I have to plan ahead.

My big question is how good are they when off the ship. There are alot of tour operators that do just the land tours...some very good by reputation. But I like being on a ship rather than a hotel, so this company may be the right thing for me. Lets hope someone can give us more info.

In the meantime I am looking into the land of Kiwis...to experience their extreme sport activities and scare the .......out of me.

have a great day....love you Aussies.....the greatest people to meet while on holiday. Ah, to be in Port Douglas and dine on some Baramundi (excuse the spelling).

Tom

Hi RMS Olympic.

I hear second hand that Orion is quite good. The ship is very small and would suite someone who likes an intimate setting. My friend loved the crew and chance to see some very unique locations in the north of Australia. You get a lot and pay quite a lot also.

The top of Australia is tropical. November to April can be very hot and humid with wet season rains and even cyclones. May to October is warm to hot (lets say 26 to 30 deg C) but is dry. Box jelly fish (marine stingers) may be in ocean waters between November and April.

You are correct about Barrumundi. Great fish to catch and eat. Try a coral trout if you get a chance.

Cheers

Karlm

Sydney.

I am bewildered by your profile...your occupation.

Is this a term that is used down under that has no translation here in the states?

Ok, it is a bit tongue in cheek, at least I know people actually read these now!

"Industrial Training & Development".

Some of the roles I train process operators for can be physically demanding, so am regarded by my boss as the trainer of the slaves. ( I don't own a whip) :D

Cheers,

I have family members booked on Orion next month - I have only heard good things about them.

We cruised on the Oceanic Discoverer (was formally the Oceanic Princess) and did a fantastic cruise from Darwin to Broome last year. It was sensational. We went in May - the weather was perfect, right after the wet season so all of the waterfalls were full and spectacular.

I met people on our cruise who had ventured up to PNG and said it was a great experience.

I can highly recomend the Kimberley region though - you will have never seen anything like it.

These cruises tends to attract the older crowd. I was the youngest person on board by at least 25 years.

Jane;)

Now to figure out how to pay for all this. At the moment I am researching a trip to New Zealand to see the sights, and experience some of the extreme sports (as long as they are not cold weather sports). I was going to take a cruise and try to do things when in port, but I dont think I can arrange everything to fit during the hours while in port. After that its Papua New Guinea. The Kimberly route I will have to look into. In the future I would also like to take the Ghan , and also hit the city or Perth. Australia is such an wonderful place.....I want to see it all. I am expecting New Zealand to have the same wonderful impression.

arxcard....thanks for the explanation......my first reaction was thinking something much more...how should I say "colorful". And yes, people do read what is posted...I always read the profiles to get an idea of who the poster is and where there opinion may be coming from.

Thanks to all for the information.......my TA called and the North American representative for Orion is going to advise as soon as I can book for 2009...at this point I think the fall October, November time frame will be best. This will be something to really look forward to.

Thanks for the information and advice.

Tom

Archived