Which is smoother back of mid ship near AFT or front of Mid Ship Near Forward

You will find either location about the same. I would take 8145 if it was my choice. 8145 is closer to the elevator going down to the dinning room as well as getting up to the Waterfall Cafe. We have had 9141 on a past cruise and was never bothered by the motion of the sea.

I've found that many modern cruise ships tend to "porpoise" at full steam (bow goes up and down while the stern stays relatively flat) rather than rock bow to stern like the older liners. Therefore I think the old adage that amidships is smoothest isn't always true anymore. We were in a RS near the stern on the Summit last fall and felt very little movement in high seas (nearly nothing in calm water). Meanwhile, we could look forward toward the bow and see that those folks were getting the full Disneyland treatment.

I thought the Summit was, overall, one of the smoothest ships we've been on but would still recommend being more aft than forward. Enjoy.

Have to agree, for the most part, with MaxWebster's post, above.

Most of the heavy machinery on modern ships, down on Deck 1 & 2, is aft of midships, making the fulcrum point aft of midships, so in pitching seas, the bow tends to slap down on waves, rather than cutting through them.

Much of the ride of modern ships is highly dependent on hull form and ratio (length to beam). Many of the larger ships have a relatively flat bottom, and do not draw as much water as a ship with a true liner hull.

with a balcony, aft is always preferred because much less wind when outside. If you have a balcony up forward, when the ship is going at full speed, there will be times when the wind could almost blow you over - the combined speed of the wind coming towards you and the forward speed of the ship can sometimes be as much as 50mph:) :) :)

Aft/Forward is one consideration, but higher decks vs. lower decks is another. The odd thing about cruise ships is that some of the least expensive grade of cabin have the smoothest ride....those midship inside cabins on deck 2!

On "M" class ships, we like deck six slightly aft for that reason...good 'ride', good location, and quiet.

Andrew

Archived