HAL Captains, Hotel Managers and Cruise Directors - ship assignments

Copper10-8

Yes I will, S7S but it's getting harder and harder to get the right parts from the factory in Amsterdam;) (I'll update the list also!). Working with Walt to make it a permanent "sticky"

Ah...there's that John humor I haven't seen in awhile! :D Thanks for putting this together and I look forward to your updates. Very interesting to see. I've become addicted to Capt. Schoonderbeek's blog about all the ports his ship is visiting and I see he is leaving the Veendam soon....I'll miss his daily posts.

Hope all is well with you!

Meg

Ah...there's that John humor I haven't seen in awhile! :D Thanks for putting this together and I look forward to your updates. Very interesting to see. I've become addicted to Capt. Schoonderbeek's blog about all the ports his ship is visiting and I see he is leaving the Veendam soon....I'll miss his daily posts.

Meg

I love John's humor, as well. :D

I'm hoping Captain Schoonderbeek will be aboard Veendam when we sail her in November. Haven't sailed with him for a while...will make our cruise that much more special.

His book is fabulous and he very generously signed a copy for us. We treasure it.

It would be fun to see his Blog.....where is it?

John

both Capt. van der Waard and Douglas Hernandez appear to be aboard Oosterdam for only 2 months, is that common? I thought that Captains were aboard for 3-4 months and HM were usually aboard for 5?

Wow: Bert van Macklenberg is now HotMan aboard the Westerdam, that's great (he has always been "hot" in my book - but then you all know that I am a "dirty old lady" anyway:cool: ). I will miss seeing him aboard the Amsterdam - he always managed to make my day seem even better every time I saw him around the ship, now what am I going to do for excitement?

Valerie;)

p.s. I should mention that Bert was the Culinary Operations Manager aboard the ms Amsterdam so he has been promoted, as he should have been since he did a great job in that capacity.

both Capt. van der Waard and Douglas Hernandez appear to be aboard Oosterdam for only 2 months, is that common? I thought that Captains were aboard for 3-4 months and HM were usually aboard for 5?

Frank & Michelle

Douglas Hernandez is new to HAL and just boarded Maasdam several weeks ago. He will only be aboard about 5 or so weeks when he goes to Oosterdam. Maybe they want him to become familiar with different classes of ships? I don't know; just guessing.

Hotel Managers aren't usually on as long as five months. It happens but isn't the 'usual'.

At the risk of sounding like a total idiot, can anyone explain to me why it is so important to know who is on board?

Considering that the Captain, the M'D, Cruise Director, etc. etc. are meeting and greeting passengers more or less every 10 days or so over the course of their tour of duty, is it really expected that they will remember YOU from cruise to cruise?

We're by no means 'newbees' 'cheap cabin' cruisers, or regular suite occupants....we're more or less twice a year Cat. 'C' and + cruisers. We've done several B2B's and usually say 'here we are again' at the Welcome Aboard bash. We mix and mingle and several times have been invited to a Captains Table for dinner.

The importance of this information completely escapes me - I honestly would like to understand.

Douglas Hernandez is new to HAL and just boarded Maasdam several weeks ago. He will only be aboard about 5 or so weeks when he goes to Oosterdam. Maybe they want him to become familiar with different classes of ships? I don't know; just guessing.

Hotel Managers aren't usually on as long as five months. It happens but isn't the 'usual'.

Anyone have any idea who will be replacing Douglas Hernandez and Olav van der Waard on Oosterdam? I am starting to wonder who will be aboard for our 9/1 sailing....:confused:

looks like John changed the dates, Mr. Hernandez will be aboard until 9/15 now still no idea who will be captain

I love John's humor, as well. :D

I'm hoping Captain Schoonderbeek will be aboard Veendam when we sail her in November. Haven't sailed with him for a while...will make our cruise that much more special.

His book is fabulous and he very generously signed a copy for us. We treasure it.

It would be fun to see his Blog.....where is it?

I'm not sure I can post the direct site on here, but try www dot avidcruiser dot com/albert/ (replacing the dots with...well, dots :D )

If that doesn't work, do a google search for "captain albert blog" and it should be the first link that comes up.

I would love to read his book...I have to see if I can find a copy. He seems like he would be a lot of fun to sail with and interesting to pick his brain about ship history. After reading through his blog I'm even more excitied for my European cruise (even though it is a long way off) as I'm looking forward to getting to see some of those older ships in those ports, not to mention the beautiful ports themselves.

Sail,

It should be in your inbox now. Sorry, I did read the address wrong!

Thank you SO much for your efforts, Sungoddess, but unfortunately it isn't in my yahoo. Can't figure out why but I certainly don't want to put you to any more trouble.

Thank you for trying.

Thank YOU, also, mjs.

I'll enjoy looking at his blog.

The Title of Captain's book is 125 Years of Holland America Line by H.A. Dalkmann & A.J.Schoonderbeek. It's a wonderful book for avid HAL'ers like us. :) We were thrilled to receive it.

Thank YOU, also, mjs.

I'll enjoy looking at his blog.

The Title of Captain's book is 125 Years of Holland America Line by H.A. Dalkmann & A.J.Schoonderbeek. It's a wonderful book for avid HAL'ers like us. :) We were thrilled to receive it.

No problem Sail! I hope you enjoy his blog as much as I have. Thanks for passing on the title....I'm definitely going to have to hunt down the book!

Thanks!!

At the risk of sounding like a total idiot, can anyone explain to me why it is so important to know who is on board?

Considering that the Captain, the M'D, Cruise Director, etc. etc. are meeting and greeting passengers more or less every 10 days or so over the course of their tour of duty, is it really expected that they will remember YOU from cruise to cruise?

We're by no means 'newbees' 'cheap cabin' cruisers, or regular suite occupants....we're more or less twice a year Cat. 'C' and + cruisers. We've done several B2B's and usually say 'here we are again' at the Welcome Aboard bash. We mix and mingle and several times have been invited to a Captains Table for dinner.

The importance of this information completely escapes me - I honestly would like to understand.

WillieF, you are not alone in your curiosity. I've had a great deal more interaction with CDs and their staff than with the captain and hotel manager. The CD expertise or lack thereof has a much greater effect on my day to day enjoyment of a cruise, but I still wouldn't choose a cruise based on who the CD might be.

I just assume the captains and hotel managers have the expertise to do their job well, so which one is assigned to my ship really doesn't matter to me. While it might be interesting to get to know the captain and hotel manager better and to enjoy their stories of shipboard life, I have never had the opportunity to say more than "Hello" in the various receiving lines. Maybe after I get my next medal......?

No problem Sail! I hope you enjoy his blog as much as I have. Thanks for passing on the title....I'm definitely going to have to hunt down the book!

Thanks!!

Hey Meg, thanks for posting Capt Schoonderbeek's blog - good stuff!

S7S, thanks for the title of his book! Just checked it out on Amazon.com and unfortunately, it's not available as of right now

I don't see Hans Mateboor listed, is he still with HAL?

GN

GN, Hans Mateboer, the other author of a book, is still assigned to Noordam with John Scott. Capt Mateboer will take command of her in ten days (6/24/07) and will leave on 9/9/07

the2of us and WillieF,

Knowing where the Captains and Hotel Managers, as well as Cruise Directors are, is an item of personal interest for many HAL cruisers. Maybe we have had personal interactions with them; maybe not. Maybe we associate them with a particularly enjoyable cruise; maybe we remember them for another reason.

For me, the interaction between Captain Peter Harris and CD Gary Walker helped to make the 2002 Asia Pacific Cruise an even better cruise than it was. The friendliness of Hotel Manager Hans Dernison and his wife on that cruise also made it special. And, I will never, ever forget the Master of Rotterdam V, the vessel for my very first two cruises--Captain A. H. Laagay. Why do I remember him? Well, he was the first Captain I ever met; he was most personable when one saw him during the day; he looked the part of a Dutch mariner(please forgive my stereotyping).

In short, its a personal thing.

Hey Meg, thanks for posting Capt Schoonderbeek's blog - good stuff!

S7S, thanks for the title of his book! Just checked it out on Amazon.com and unfortunately, it's not available as of right now

No problem John! I think the blog is pretty interesting...enjoy the reading!

Please let me know if you are able to find his book...I would really like to get a copy.

Thanks!

Meg

Archived