Tauck River Cruises

Pareto

Can anyone tell me where to find a picture of a Cat. 3 bathroom on the Swiss Emerald? We want a real bathtub. Thanks, Jinn

Good luck with finding any picutres, lol. I got the 2007 catalog in the mail today and it has a little tiny picture of a bathroom but I'm not sure what catagory it is though, it may be a suite.

Jinn,

This is the ship owner´s website but it doesn´t show any bathrooms

http://www.scylla-tours.ch/dynasite.cfm?dssid=4396&dsmid=1536&schiffs_id=14

The website does not mention bathtubs but showers. Anyway bathtubs aren´t very common on river cruise ships due to the limited size. If you find one it´s in a suite. That´ll be Cat. 6. But I´m quite sure that there won´t be a bathtub in a Cat. 3 stateroom which is much smaller.

steamboats

Jinn,

This is the ship owner´s website but it doesn´t show any bathrooms

http://www.scylla-tours.ch/dynasite.cfm?dssid=4396&dsmid=1536&schiffs_id=14

The website does not mention bathtubs but showers. Anyway bathtubs aren´t very common on river cruise ships due to the limited size. If you find one it´s in a suite. That´ll be Cat. 6. But I´m quite sure that there won´t be a bathtub in a Cat. 3 stateroom which is much smaller.

steamboats

Thanks for posting the link. I was hoping I would get to see the inside of the boat.

I don't have a pic of the bathroom on the Swiss Emerald but did find a pic of our cabin 106 (least expensive category) in 2006.

Maybe you can e-mail Scylla Tours and ask them if any cabins have tubs?

Thanks for posting the picture of 106. DH and I will be in 107 on the Sapphire next August.

Was the cabin okay? Was the window tiny?

FYI - INTRAV is being shut down; their tours and expedition cruises will be parceled out to other divisions within the company that purchased them a few years back; they are not going to do any river cruises after 2007. Too bad, because I have heard that they had the best ship for the russian waterways cruise. So I think Tauck is probably the best out there.

That's interesting because I just contacted them about 2008 River Douro cruise and they have 9 trips listed and they gave me a $100 certificate towards a new tour. Also their price for the 2008 tours are $600/person MORE than last 2007's tours.

That's interesting because I just contacted them about 2008 River Douro cruise and they have 9 trips listed and they gave me a $100 certificate towards a new tour. Also their price for the 2008 tours are $600/person MORE than last 2007's tours.

Really? thanks, I will have to call them; when I read that they were re-distributing all of their trips I was looking specifically to find out about the river cruises, and I would swear that I read they weren't doing them anymore. Hope they are still doing Russia.

Are you mistaken, or just yanking my chain? I just called INTRAV and they confirmed that yes, the company is being dissolved and NO there will be no river cruises in 2008. The girl said they were referring people to Amadeus.

I am NOT yanking your chain.:eek: I have a brochure and a letter dated May 23 signed by Randy Durband, President of INTRAV, informing me how they have been in business since 1959. The supplement that they sent is for a cruise on the Douro Prince, a 48 passenger boat. It gives cruising dates, prices and a small map of where the stops are. Maybe something has happened between May and now, but I am not aware of it. Toll free number: 1-800-456-8100.

Well, it looks like it will be Uniworld for our next trip as there are very few river cruises in Portugal.

The window was as long as the cabin, but not very high - it ended right at the water line. At night when the boat moved, we could hear the water hitting the walls but it was not very loud. You may want to bring earplugs if noise bothers you.

Thanks,

Was the cabin okay for you? If you would book it again would you spend the extra money and book a cabin that had a bigger window or balcony? Do you book balconies?

Thanks,

Was the cabin okay for you? If you would book it again would you spend the extra money and book a cabin that had a bigger window or balcony? Do you book balconies?

Our cabin was small but it was not a problem as we did not spend much time in there. We had great weather so we spent all of our time on the upper deck (some days it was windy and cool). On the days when we had time to get ready for dinner, we took turns so we were not crowding each other in the cabin.

There are not many public spaces on the boat so if the weather is bad, a nice big window in the cabin would be nice (although there may be nothing to look at on a rainy day). Also if you like some privacy away from other passengers, you may consider a larger cabin that has a sitting area in addition to the beds.

I don't recall any real "balconies". The suites had sliding glass doors that opened but there was no balcony as the cabin extends all the way to edge of the boat. I am not sure if there was a screen to keep the mosquitos out (and they were biting some evenings when the boat was docked).

I don't think we would spend the extra money for a larger cabin and big window (we don't on ocean cruises). As long as I get natural light in the cabin and I can see what the weather is like, I am happy. I would rather go on more cruises. We are now considering Tauck's new Rhine and Moselle cruise for 2009.

Our cabin was small but it was not a problem as we did not spend much time in there. We had great weather so we spent all of our time on the upper deck (some days it was windy and cool). On the days when we had time to get ready for dinner, we took turns so we were not crowding each other in the cabin.

There are not many public spaces on the boat so if the weather is bad, a nice big window in the cabin would be nice (although there may be nothing to look at on a rainy day). Also if you like some privacy away from other passengers, you may consider a larger cabin that has a sitting area in addition to the beds.

I don't recall any real "balconies". The suites had sliding glass doors that opened but there was no balcony as the cabin extends all the way to edge of the boat. I am not sure if there was a screen to keep the mosquitos out (and they were biting some evenings when the boat was docked).

I don't think we would spend the extra money for a larger cabin and big window (we don't on ocean cruises). As long as I get natural light in the cabin and I can see what the weather is like, I am happy. I would rather go on more cruises. We are now considering Tauck's new Rhine and Moselle cruise for 2009.

Thanks for sharing your information with me. I think I'll keep our lower deck cabin. I too would rather go more than not go at all or not very often.:D

Did you get Tauck's catalog? I just got mine last week. I want to go Africa but it so darn pricey. I may have to wait. I think Amsterdam or the Nile may be the next one for us.

Let me know what you choose.

Archived