Tauck River Cruises

Pareto

Tauck has two river cruise ships, the Swiss Diamond and the Swiss Emerald. In April of 2008 they plan to launch the Swiss Saphhire.

My wife and I are planning to cruise Amsterdam to Budapest (direction undecided) in fall of 2008.

Are there any Cruise Critic members who can give us feedback on Tauck's River Cruises? We are particularly interested in aspects of the rooms: bed comfort, storage, amenities, etc.

Also, if you have cruised with Tauck and other river cruise lines (e.g. Viking River Cruises) we would be interested in hearing any comparative comments regarding services, land/shipboard experiences, etc.

I started a new thread regarding Tauck River Cruises. Somehow it got posted to the Forum called "Need Help Using the Boards? Ask Here".

I wanted it to be in the forum on the "Cruise Lines P-Z".

How does it get moved? By me? By Administrator?

How does one reach an "Administrator"?

Howdy Pareto! 50.gif

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

During our last update around the first part of this year, one of the changes allows the red triangle icon for the Report Post feature to appear on all posts. Previously, a member could not see it or use it on one of their own posts, only posts by other members.

You activate the Report Post feature on the post you want to report by clicking the red triangle icon. Only a host/moderator or administrator can edit after the 20 minute editing time limit expires and move or remove any post or thread. You can use the feature to report spam, advertising message and problematic (harassment, fighting or rude) posts of others too.

In the future, go to the post and click the icon so the Report Post screen will open. Type your request message in the text box, then click the Send Report button. The resulting e-mail will go to all hosts/moderators assigned to the forum for review, or all administrators if there are no hosts/moderators assigned. Also, the e-mail will automatically show the forum name, your user name & e-mail address, post title & link, thread title & link as well as your request message. If OK, one of the hosts/moderators assigned to the forum or administrators will try to follow through with your request.

Please remember, an e-mail to management is the correct way for everyone to get their questions, comments & concerns about Cruise Critic policies, technical matters or site feedback to a more beneficial place. Posting them on the boards does no good and clogs up the system with posts that have nothing to do with cruising. Questions, comments & concerns regarding the management of our message boards should be directed to: community@cruisecritic.com. Posts regarding these issues will be removed. The Contact Us feature in the light yellow bar below has instructions and e-mail addresses for various situations.

To help you out, I have merged your two posts on the Need Help Using The Boards? Ask Here! into one thread. Per our Community Guidelines, I also moved it to the River Cruises Forum at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=191 for a more correct location where it will be on topic. You might want to read the Getting Started section in FAQ where you will see how a topic should be consistent with the specific forum you choose. It also gives a brief summary of the topics covered in some of the forum sections.

082502btw_prv.gif, if you have any other questions about using the Cruise Critic software, please feel free to use the Search this Forum feature with your key word or words on the Need Help Using The Boards? Ask Here! Forum to see if your inquiry topic has already been asked and answered before. And it probably has... many, many times! 05.gif If not, please feel free to post your new thread inquiry about the software here and we will be happy to try to help you with a solution. Also, the Search this Forum feature is on all other Cruise Critic forums too. It will help narrow down the threads you will want to read during any of your research. If you want to search more than one forum at a time, use our Advanced Search feature.

I sincerely hope this will be satisfactory and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Kat110105_emYA42_prv.gif

We were on the Swiss Emerald in June 2006 when it was brand new. We cruised from Amsterdam to Budapest. The boat was very beautifully appointed with wood paneling and crystal chandelliers in the dining room. All the excursions, tips, wine and beer with meals were included in the price. Food and service was excellent. Cabins were adequate, clean with plenty of storage (we had the lowest category on the bottom deck). We were lucky that we had great weather so we spent most of our time on the deck watching the scenery.

I think when the weather is bad the boat gets very small very fast as there are not many public spaces other than the main lounge and the Lido bar on the back of the boat. There is a very small "library" area and 1 computer with Internet access (expensive).

I am attaching a picture of the main lounge area.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Lounge2.jpg.8a26220ecd2ccd5a189b458bdc2f6cd5.jpg

Hi,

Right now, Tauck and Intrav seem to be getting the best feedback and reviews for river cruises. The Tauck river cruises are as good (if not better) than their land tours. Right now, there are some serious concerns about service issues with travel agents and passengers for many of the major river cruise lines. Tauck and Intrav have heard these concerns and complaints, addressed them and built up excellent river cruise products. They've filled a gap in river cruise experiences and are flourishing in the market because of their attention to detail and outstanding service.

Book with confidence.

Best Regards,

Julia

Blog: spasandadventures.wordpress.com

We were on the Swiss Emerald in June 2006 when it was brand new. We cruised from Amsterdam to Budapest. The boat was very beautifully appointed with wood paneling and crystal chandelliers in the dining room. All the excursions, tips, wine and beer with meals were included in the price. Food and service was excellent. Cabins were adequate, clean with plenty of storage (we had the lowest category on the bottom deck). We were lucky that we had great weather so we spent most of our time on the deck watching the scenery.

I think when the weather is bad the boat gets very small very fast as there are not many public spaces other than the main lounge and the Lido bar on the back of the boat. There is a very small "library" area and 1 computer with Internet access (expensive).

Thank you for your reply. This posting stuff is all new to me so I hope you get this. Have you taken other River Cruises from other companies? Any comparisons you have to offer?

Hi,

Right now, Tauck and Intrav seem to be getting the best feedback and reviews for river cruises. The Tauck river cruises are as good (if not better) than their land tours. Right now, there are some serious concerns about service issues with travel agents and passengers for many of the major river cruise lines. Tauck and Intrav have heard these concerns and complaints, addressed them and built up excellent river cruise products. They've filled a gap in river cruise experiences and are flourishing in the market because of their attention to detail and outstanding service.

Book with confidence.

Best Regards,

Julia

Thanks for your reply. I will continue to concentrate on Taulk and look into Intrav (which I have not heard of previously)

I just received the 2008 River Cruising brochure from Tauck in yesterdays' mail. It looks great and as someone who has enjoyed 8 land tours with Tauck I will definately consider them for next year. We leave Thursday, 6/28, To board the "Sound of Music" in Amsterdam and sail to Budapest on her. This cruise is being operated by INTRAV who we also have used previously with great satisfaction....:cool:

To Pareto,

I have been on this cruise critic board for several years now and love all the info I obtain. Just wanted you to know that Tauck has an "Ask and Share" board on their website. If you hit on "Europe" and then "Central and Eastern Europe", you will find many posts about the Swiss Emerald. We, also , just received Tauck's new European River Cruising brochure and are interested in info on the ships.

We have taken over 12 Tauck tours and they are wonderful. We just returned from the LeLevant yacht doing the Dalmation Coast. We are still on a high from that one.

Sheila

You can't go wrong with Tauck. We just came back from our rivercruise from Amsterday to Budapest yesterday. A couple times we were docked with Tauck's ship (?Switzerland). While she may look old on the outside, she is absoutely beautiful on the inside. We needed to go through their lobby a couple times to get to shore. Very old world, elegant looking.

I have been on previous Tauck Tours to Italy and you simply cannot go wrong with them. They offer the very best with great style.

I too just received their new brochure for river crusing for next year and see the new ships. I will be posting a reveiw on our ship, Amadeus Amadagio once I can get on our time zone!

Chesie

To Pareto,

This was our 1st and only (so far) river cruise. We just returned from Tauck's trip to Scandinavia so I was not able to reply sooner.

By the way, I am attaching a picture of QE2 in Geiranger Fjord in Norway as our ferry was waiting to depart.

Eva

P6260262.jpg.7752b45b08c582e6e5a5718b6b6e9481.jpg

I was on a Viking Cruise, Budapest to Amsterdam, in September 2006. During that cruise the Swiss Emerald was moored along side our boat. Esthetically, the Swiss Emerald left the Viking Spirit in the dust. I cannot comment on the food, tours, or staff on the Swiss Emerald but there was absolutely no comparison between these boats.

This does not mean that I was unhappy with Viking. In fact, Viking lived up to expectations and we had a most enjoyable venture.

I will say that Tauck has an exceptionally good reputation and I would consider price and itinerary between Viking and Tauck.

Hi,

Book with confidence.

Best Regards,

Julia

Julia, have you heard anything pro or con about an Australian Company getting started called Scenic Tours? You seem to be in this industry so I thought I would ask. Thank You, Tony

I just received the 2008 River Cruising brochure from Tauck in yesterdays' mail. It looks great and as someone who has enjoyed 8 land tours with Tauck I will definately consider them for next year. We leave Thursday, 6/28, To board the "Sound of Music" in Amsterdam and sail to Budapest on her. This cruise is being operated by INTRAV who we also have used previously with great satisfaction....:cool:

I would be most interested in your experience because we are considering Intrav and Taulk as the two companies that interst us the most

Hi there,

We just booked our first riverboat cruise with Tauck for August of next year. I would greatly appreciate if you could post any information you can about them and your cruise on the Emerald. We are booked on the Sapphire, which is the same ship.

How was the tours in Budapest? We are doing the Black Sea to Budapest cruise.

Any info would be wonderful!

Thanks so much!!

Peggy

Peggy,

Please post after your Black Sea to Budapest river boat cruise. I would be most interested in your thoughts.

Sheila

Hi Sheila,

I will be happy to post a review. Are you planning a river cruise?

Peggy

Hi Peggy,

We just returned from the Tauck's Le Levant (Dalmation Coast) and loved it! We have never taken a river cruise and the Black Sea to Bucharest sounded interesting. My husband's family was originally from Romania.

Sheila

Hi Peggy,

We just returned from the Tauck's Le Levant (Dalmation Coast) and loved it! We have never taken a river cruise and the Black Sea to Bucharest sounded interesting. My husband's family was originally from Romania.

Sheila

Hi there Sheila,

Oh my what a great cruise that must have been, have you posted a review? What can you tell about Tauck? Any info you can share would be appreciated.

I thought a river cruise from Bucharest to Budapest would be interesting too. I really wanted to go to both, that's why I chose this cruise. My family is from Hungary, your husband's and my families are "neighbors". :)

Peggy

• 3 weeks later...
To Pareto,

I have been on this cruise critic board for several years now and love all the info I obtain. Just wanted you to know that Tauck has an "Ask and Share" board on their website. If you hit on "Europe" and then "Central and Eastern Europe", you will find many posts about the Swiss Emerald. We, also , just received Tauck's new European River Cruising brochure and are interested in info on the ships.

We have taken over 12 Tauck tours and they are wonderful. We just returned from the LeLevant yacht doing the Dalmation Coast. We are still on a high from that one.

Sheila

Hi there,

I keep checking everyday and there is very little activity on Tauck's Ask and Share forum. I posted several questions a while ago and have no response. I'll keep checking.

I can't see to find anyone who has cruised the lower Danube with Tauck.:(

Archived