Any issues with bringing a laptop out of the country?

aloanldy

Does anyone know if there are any hassles with bring your laptop out of the country? We're flying to Barcelona in October to sail Millie and I want to bring my laptop so I can download my photos.

Thanks,

Charlie

You will have no problem traveling internationally with a Laptop. A laptop is as common as carrying a Purse.

You may experience a small delay in some security screening - You will almost always be asked to take it out of your computer bag and put it in a tub by itself. Some places will then scan it for nitrate residue with a wand and run it through a spectrum analyzer. Takes about 1 minute. You may have expereienced these same screening devices at U.S. airports.

If you are staying in Spain pre-or-post and want to recharge, you'll need a plug adaptor. The laptop's power supply will handle the different electrical system in the hotel, so long as you have the right plug shape.

No security issues but do be mindful that for air travel to/from Europe and within Europe itself, carry-on allowances (number of pieces allowed, as well as weight and size of each piece) may differ from that permitted within the US.

No security issues but do be mindful that for air travel to/from Europe and within Europe itself, carry-on allowances (number of pieces allowed, as well as weight and size of each piece) may differ from that permitted within the US.

If you are travelling via the UK you are only allowed ONE piece of handbaggage on your onward flight from the UK - so make sure everything fits into your ONE bag.

Although unlikely, if you're ever stopped for a detailed examination by US Customs on return, they could assess duty if you can't prove it or other valuable electronics were with you when you left the USA.

You can go to your local customs office with your items (computer, camera, camcorder) and fill out customs form 4457. Carry this form with you overseas.

Roger

Archived