Birth Certificate - ADVICE PLEASE!

We will be on Enchantment for 5 day cruise this September and my DS is planning on bringing his 18 yr old girlfriend. Back in April we instructed her to apply for her passport immediately (to allow for the extended processing time). I had a long conversation with her and spoke to her mother and was assured they would send in the application immediately. To my horror, I found out yesterday (two months later, I might add) that she didn't do what she has been telling us she has done, and has not applied for her passport!

Putting my anger and frustration aside, I instructed her NOT to apply for her passport at this stage as it's only about 12 weeks until we sail, and decided we will take a chance and travel with her birth certificate. We will be visiting Key West, Cozumel and Belize. However on examining the birth certificate she intends to use, I see that it is a certified copy of a Certificate of Live Birth issues by New York State Department of Health.

Is this OK? It is not an "original" document, appears to be a photocopy of some sort and on the reverse side bears a certification stamp and the faintest of indentations of a raised seal - which is hard to see and is not visible on the face of the document.

Is this OK? Or should I resort to other means and demand she brings her original birth certificate? The girl doesn't have the best relationship with her DM and this may be difficult. Alternatively, I could march the girlfriend down to the town hall to get another copy.

What do you think? I know a passport is by far the preferable document, but I just don't want to risk it at this point, and dealing with this girl and her mother's lack of attention to this matter has already frustrated the heck outta me! One good thing, I do have the permission and medical release duly completed, signed, and notarized. Whew!

Thanks for any advice

Alma

I would get a new one to be on the safe side. I looked at my son's and it is not as you describe and it is from NY. Granted they may have issued different versions throughout the years but if you have any doubts I wouldn't screw around with it. I know for us it was $7 per copy to get certified copies with the raised seal. I went right to the town hall and was in and out in a few minutes.

Make sure she has a valid license for her ID and you are good to go. If I were you when you get the copies from the town hall I would suggest that you keep it in your possession until the cruise and return it to her when you get home.

I've sent away for several "replacement" birth certificates. It can't be a photocopy--if it has a raised seal, even tho it's not the "original", it will be fine. Passports aren't needed for the Caribbean until 2008. If in doubt, have her sent to her place of birth for another BC--there's plenty of time.

We will be on Enchantment for 5 day cruise this September and my DS is planning on bringing his 18 yr old girlfriend. Back in April we instructed her to apply for her passport immediately (to allow for the extended processing time). I had a long conversation with her and spoke to her mother and was assured they would send in the application immediately. To my horror, I found out yesterday (two months later, I might add) that she didn't do what she has been telling us she has done, and has not applied for her passport!

Putting my anger and frustration aside, I instructed her NOT to apply for her passport at this stage as it's only about 12 weeks until we sail, and decided we will take a chance and travel with her birth certificate. We will be visiting Key West, Cozumel and Belize. However on examining the birth certificate she intends to use, I see that it is a certified copy of a Certificate of Live Birth issues by New York State Department of Health.

Is this OK? It is not an "original" document, appears to be a photocopy of some sort and on the reverse side bears a certification stamp and the faintest of indentations of a raised seal - which is hard to see and is not visible on the face of the document.

Is this OK? Or should I resort to other means and demand she brings her original birth certificate? The girl doesn't have the best relationship with her DM and this may be difficult. Alternatively, I could march the girlfriend down to the town hall to get another copy.

What do you think? I know a passport is by far the preferable document, but I just don't want to risk it at this point, and dealing with this girl and her mother's lack of attention to this matter has already frustrated the heck outta me! One good thing, I do have the permission and medical release duly completed, signed, and notarized. Whew!

Thanks for any advice

Alma

We just went through something similar on our cruise June 2. We were on the phone with RC for two days. This is the RC "law...anyone over 16 years of age must have atleast a birth certificate and a photo id. The photo id must be issued by the government (license or id card), or it can be a school id with a picture on it. It is easier on you if all have passports, but it is not necessary. My older daughter lost her id two days before the cruise...I could have killed her. She ended up using a school id that was three years old, and they still accepted it.

We also took one of her school friends with us. I needed to have a notarized letter from her parent stating that she was placed in my care by them. It needed to have the sail dates and basic ship info. It also needed to have the absent parents contact info on it. The funny thing is that only one who ever asked for it was the guy at the rock wall, not even when we got on the ship.

I hope that this helps you. Have a great cruise!

Thanks for the responses. To be on the safe side, and to put my mind at ease, I think a trip to the Town Hall may be in order so that we have a copy with a more distinct raised seal.

BTW .. is Belize considered the Caribbean? The Birth Certificate ruling is for Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Maybe I'd better check w/ RC. I'm probably being too much of a worry wart, but after being lied to about the passport application, I'm paranoid now that something dreadful is going to happen to ruin this trip!

Thanks again ..

Alma

Thanks for the responses. To be on the safe side, and to put my mind at ease, I think a trip to the Town Hall may be in order so that we have a copy with a more distinct raised seal.

BTW .. is Belize considered the Caribbean? The Birth Certificate ruling is for Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Maybe I'd better check w/ RC. I'm probably being too much of a worry wart, but after being lied to about the passport application, I'm paranoid now that something dreadful is going to happen to ruin this trip!

Thanks again ..

Alma

The birth certificate is to get on the ship, after that you should keep it safe and sound in the safe in the cabin. You do NOT have to take it with you and would suggest you don't. The only thing you need to get off at the ports is your seapass card and your picture ID. Now deep breath and relax!!! This is supposed to be fun!!!:D

Thanks again ..

Alma

Just a little piece of advice...when you check the Belize info, ask to hear it directly from a supervisor. During our disaster and two days on the phone with RC, I had 5 staff members tell me that my 17 year old daughter didn't need a photo id at all. I'm glad I didn't take their word, they would not have let her on the ship!

Yes, Belize is considered the Caribbean for i.d. purposes for cruising.

I would also get that new copy of her birth certificate just in case...and hang on to it yourself! She will be fine with a birth cert. and a valid drivers license or state-issued i.d. card. Not to worry about the passport issue - they are not required for cruising until 2008 (as someone else mentioned above).

Have fun!

Thanks again ..

Alma

You're really better off asking here than calling RCI, believe me ;) They will give you 5 different answers if you call 5 times.

This year, a B/C- D/L combination will work fine. It is not up to RCI to make the rules, it is our own Federal Govt. The cruise lines do check that your paper work is in order for you to board the ship, they don't want to be stuck with you when the cruise is over. What really comes into play is returning to the US, she wants to make sure she is allowed to re-enter the country with no problems.

I might also add that you will never have your "original" birth certificate, it will always be a certified copy, the original is kept at the (usually) county health department. I think you are wise to order the new one, just to be sure, especially if the one she has now is a photo copy,

After your return, urge her to get her passport whether she plans to travel or not. They are good for 10 years and who knows how long they will take next year when they are required for all entry back to the US?

I don't know if you need parental permission for a person over the age of 18. I do know that someone has to be over a certain age to book the cabin, I think it is 21 on RCI. If she is still on her parents health insurance and still supported by them, it may not be a bad idea to have their written permission.

However on examining the birth certificate she intends to use, I see that it is a certified copy of a Certificate of Live Birth issues by New York State Department of Health.

That IS a certified copy of a birth certificate, which is EXACTLY what you need. NO ONE gets the ORIGINAL, it is filed with the county.

As others have suggested, I would get ANOTHER certified copy of her birth certificate just in case, and GO AHEAD with the passport application and expedite it. You still have plenty of time for an expedited application, and if worse came to worst, you could still use the OTHER certified copy of the birth certificate (one must go with the passport application) plus the photo I.D. to get on the cruise.

You really are not in a huge dilemma here, honestly, she has what she needs to board now. Enjoy your cruise. :)

If she applies and pays $30 for the expedited service, she should have the passport in about two weeks

Have you not kept up with the passport threads recently :confused: Even expedited passports are taking several weeks, then you have to call a special number within 2 weeks of travel. It's a mess right now and I don't think it will get any better for a while.

As of right now, everyone leaving the US will need a passport to return at the end of the year. The govt. keeps changing the dates, though, so keep your eye out for any changes :)

Thanks everyone! I feel much better now.

My family all have passports, so we've never had a question about documents before.

I'm definitely going to get another copy from the Town Hall which I hope will have a more clearly visible raised seal. You can hardly see the one on the existing copy. And I will keep the new copy in my safe until we travel!

I have the notarized permission letter, with health insurance and contact info.

And we've told her, that if she ever wants to travel with us again, she must get a passport!

Stresses .... whew!

Thanks again ... I can't tell you what a relief it was to read your posts!

- Alma

If you really want to have all of your i’s dotted and t’s crossed have her apply for the passport so that you can print the “in-process” receipt from the State Department. That way, Heaven forbid, she needs to fly home there will be no problem.

This way she won’t have the extra expense to expedite it and she’ll have a passport for her next trip with you! :D

I generally put all my documents in the safe and leave them there,but on this cruise (Freedom) it states clearly on the front of the Cruise Compass-

Seapass and Proof of Citizenship- Don't forget to bring your SeaPass card,picture ID and proof of citizenship (Passport) today when you leave for port. You will not be allowed off the ship without them. A security checkpoint will be set up at the gangway for your safety.

This advice was repeated on each day that we were in port.

This is the first time I have ever seen this.

. However on examining the birth certificate she intends to use, I see that it is a certified copy of a Certificate of Live Birth issues by New York State Department of Health.

Alma

Both my DH and I have Birth certificates that say what hers does (but for different states) and both of us used these to apply for our passports... Different states issue different -looking kinds of birth certificates and these have changed over the years as well...

I think it's too late to apply for a passport and expect to see it on time but I agree that you should tell her to apply, obtain an extra copy of the BC also and then all bases are covered...

Archived