Things to look out for when RV'ing in Alaska?

The Postman

In about 3 weeks our family will be renting an RV for a week of exploring more of Alaska post-cruise. However, I've recently read some things that have raised some concern. Is the extra insurance really needed? Do the rental companies try to "stick you" for everything? How careful do we need to be when we inspect the RV at the outset?

Is there anything else about an RV in Alaska we should be aware of?

Thanks!

As a fulltime RVer, I'd recommend you visit rv.net and ask your questions there. We won't take our RV to Alaska for many reasons, but there are definitely things you need to be aware of before you take your 3-week trip. It all depends on the route you plan to take, the type of RV you are renting, the company you are renting from, etc. The members of the forum can better advise you since many of them have been to Alaska more than once and are in a position of advising you.

Have a great trip...we stick to the cruises and hoteling it there.

Jan

I absolutely recommend you purchase the insurance waiver that gives you $0 deductable, UNLESS, you can afford to forfit the $1000 deductable, if necessary. Yes they do go over the RV with a fine tooth comb upon return. All the prior damages are specifically listed. It is EASY to get a windshield chip and yes they look for them. The other "damage" spot is the roof, from trees. Easy to scrape up the sides too with backing into camp spots.

Yes, most certainly closely inspect the RV before it leaves the lot. I went with Great Alaska Holiday, and they went over everything with me.

Depending on where you are staying, you may not have dumping or water. Anticipate this and be prepared. Get a Safeway card for gas discounts. Last grocery stop heading north from Anchorage is Wasilla, be certain to stock up by here, because there is then nothing until you get to Fairbanks. Same with gas, top off in Wasilla heading north. Have a full tank out of Fairbanks, heading south.

• 2 months later...

Moose, rocks, door dings, ripped out steps ( it does happen), busy highways... so many reasons to purchase insurance.

After seeing a photo of a moose through a car, then also seeing a moose nearly go through the car ahead of us while RVing... added insurance is a no-brainer.

It hurts to turn over that money knowing you 'probably' won't need it. But it would be even more painful to procure thousands of dollars in damages and not have the insurance to cover.:)

We purchased the RV rental company insurance, which our own insurance agent had recommended. No middleman to go back and forth with if the RV had been returned with damage.

Prior to driving off the lot, I recommend that you personally give the RV another good look inside and out. We found a decent sized ding in ours that was not listed in our contract. They added it, no problem, but I wouldn't have wanted to 'inherit' that ding.

Before you spend what they want for CDW insurance coverage (would have cost us an extra $200), check with your local insurance agent. Mine said we wouldn't be covered, but I heard on another forum that we would. I went back to him and asked him to call their customer service department and check on that - and they told him we WERE covered! We got a chip in our windshield south of Fairbanks on PAVED road(YES, it's almost a "given" if you're spending much time on Alaskan highways) Gave the bill to my insurance company and they've assured me the check is in the mail to reimburse our expense.

Main advice for RV in AK - LOTS of miles between gas stops in some places so don't let that tank get too low. Many gas stations have places for you to dump and get water (thankfully!). Lots of places to stop along the side of the road if you want to go at your own pace and not make reservations ahead of time (which is how we did our trip!) And as has already been mentioned, check out the RV carefully before leaving the site. Also check out the recommended dealers. Any more questions?

Gave the bill to my insurance company and they've assured me the check is in the mail to reimburse our expense.

I'm curious if making a claim on your own insurance will raise your policy rates? Perhaps that's why our company recommended we just purchase from the RV company... a large claim might, though I'm sure your claim wasn't much.

To the OP: If you haven't done so, I also advise you to pick up a copy of the MilePost. It became the most 'dog-eared' guide we had.

In three weeks??? Be prepared for light snow/sleet. Denali will essentially be shut down. It hovered right around freezing last week in Denali, but has warmed up this week.

Head to the Kenai peninsula-less chance of "winter weather".

And most of all-if you are NOT used to driving a large vehicle, PAY ATTENTION to height clearance, turning corners and backing up. Don't go through the drive up at Mickey D's.

Archived