Longbeach Airport

mandrews2u

Can anyone giove me driving directions ( the fastest route) from Lgb airport to Moneterey? lso how long will it take us on a saturday last weekend in Sept? We will take the coastal drive back down. Any hlep will be aprrecitaed. We no longer have Triple A or know anyone in California.

Can anyone giove me driving directions ( the fastest route) from Lgb airport to Moneterey? lso how long will it take us on a saturday last weekend in Sept? We will take the coastal drive back down. Any hlep will be aprrecitaed. We no longer have Triple A or know anyone in California.

Go to http://maps.google.com/ type lgb to monterey, CA and it gives you directions to get you there via I5 which is the fastest way. It says 5 hours and 50 minutes, but you never know.

enjoy

ron

How long are you planning for this trip? You need at least 3 days. I note you are flying in on Saturday and leaving on your cruise on Sunday. If you stay with this plan, you do NOT have time to go to Monterey. You should plan to fly into Long Beach no later than Wednesday (and then will need to add at least another hour going north due to weekday traffic through LA).

It is a full day (minimum 6 hours of driving) to get to Monterey using this route (the fastest, not the most scenic):

405 (San Diego freeway) north to Hwy 5 north. Go over the Grapevine (steep grades). Be sure to stay on 5 and don't get diverted onto Hwy 99.

West on Hwy 46 to Paso Robles.

North there on Hwy 101 to Salinas.

Exit on Hwy 68 south to Monterey.

Once you get to Monterey, you need at least a full day...better two, to minimally do the following:

Monterey Bay Aquarium

Cannery Row

Old Monterey (walking trip)

Point Lobos

17 Mile Drive

Carmel

Coming south on the coast (through Big Sur), plan on at least 8-10 hours if you are going to stop and see any views, etc. I usually do it in two days for this reason.

Go south on Hwy 1 through Big Sur, past Cambria and through Morro Bay to San Luis Obispo, where you get on Hwy 101. Take this south through Santa Maria, Buelton, Santa Barbara, Ventura and then get onto Hwy 405 in the San Fernando Valley south to return to Long Beach.

Have you considered flying into San Jose instead and driving a one-way car rental from there? It would save you about 7-8 hours of driving. If you did that on Thursday, you could spend Friday and part of Saturday in Monterey, then drive down Saturday as far as Santa Barbara, spend the night there, and still get to the port in time on Sunday to catch your cruise.

Mandrews2u,

Splinter pretty much nails it (is there a pun soemwhere?). Trying to do Monterey in about 36 hours is a real stretch, although working as a car photographer I have done it in a lo-oong day. I'm assuming you want to leave from LGB because that's where the rental cars are. Anyway, on a saturday, getting out of LA could be a bit easier because there are no commuters, but ya never know. Bottom line, using mostly I-5, 46 at Lost Hills, then 101 to 68, it will take you about six hours--unless you hook up with a bunch of (ahem) speed-limit scofflaws and do about 80 or 90. But you really gotta watch for bears, especially on 68 (the road near where James Dean died in his Porsche Spyder). It's mostly two-lane, very heavy with traffic and has a lot of radar! As for 101, it's spotty (no radar, but sometimes, a lot of enforcement. By the time you get to Monterey, you will have earned that drink/dinner.

On your return, to get to LAX for a noonish flight you would have to leave Monterey about 3 or 4 Monday morning and probably head back down I-5 again, instead of taking 101 to 405. That said, a few months ago, my pal and I drove back to Long Beach taking 101 to 405 and actually made pretty good time.

I differ with Splinter on only one point: getting from LGB to I-5. The quickest way is 710 to the 5 because the 405 takes you past LAX and over the hump into The Valley, which is always slow 'cause people don't have the common sense to press down on the gas when going uphill.

The 710, which has a lot of truck traffic (although maybe not on Saturday) can be dangerous. We've had two fatal shootings on it in the last few days.

All ofwhich brings us back to the point that you really need more time than a day and a half.

Enjoy your cruise.

And don't forget that if you're travelling on the 101 (thru The Valley) or on the 5...lots of traffic on Monday morning. If you continue on the 101 to the 405, you'll get bumper to bumper until at least you pass LAX. The 5 has lots of people heading to Downtown LA...that'll be heavy down and past there to LB.

thanks so much everyone for all the help, I was blind to what to do. I do have a tendency to cram evry last minute into things, however I love to drive, and can make time when others do however not being familiar with your roads, terrain etc, I will probably air on the side of caution or else the hubby will not enjoy this little venture.I will use Sunday just driving down the coast from Monetery so Actually on Monday I will ONLY be driving into LAX from Oxnard or Camarillo ( we can use our Marriot rewards for Hotel there as

This is still going to be a marathon trip. I didn't take them on the 5 through downtown as in my experience is it ALWAYS a mess (even on weekends), and while 405 is a little longer, traffic is better.

If you get off the ship and into your car by noon on Saturday (you will be very lucky if that is the case) you could expect to be in Monterey around 7-8PM Saturday, if you don't stop to eat. This gives you no time in Monterey, as you would need to start driving down Big Sur no later than noon Sunday to be in Camarillo or Oxnard to stay the night, then plan on at least 3-4 hours from there to LAX on a Monday morning with the traffic.

Can't you change your flight and stay over until Tuesday or Wednesday? Seems a shame to just drive and not be able to visit any of the things that people go to Monterey to see. Or plan to fly out of San Jose on Monday, which would be do-able (the reverse of what I suggested above).

Why would it take to noon on Saturday to get into my car and start driving? The ship docks at 7am, I figured we'd be off by 9am especially if I put down that we are catching a 10am flight, be at car rental place in Longbeach by 9:45, on the road by 10,, dod I miscalculate you think? I am going to call dfelta and see if they fly out of San Jose. Also I did not realize it was 3-4 hrs to Lax from Oxnard, thought it was like 2 hrs, someone on another board how quoted me that time, from either camariilo or Oxnard, not sure which one. Well. I will do more next time I come back, I just want to do somehting with my 2 1/2 days instead of hang around LA, I never had any desire to see LA, Thanks for all you help.

Hello....

Have you considered Santa Barbara as an option instead of all the way to Monterey? It's an easy drive to a beautiful coastal city with a lot to do and see AND you would have time to actually enjoy where you're going.

Just a thought....

murphysmum;)

I did not realize it was 3-4 hrs to Lax from Oxnard, thought it was like 2 hrs, someone on another board how quoted me that time, from either camariilo or Oxnard, not sure which one.

I'll assume you are talking about the Marriott Courtyard Hotel at Pleasant Valley Road/Santa Rosa Road and the 101 in Camarillo...According to MapQuest, it's about 52 miles from there to LAX...and, WITHOUT TRAFFIC, should take only 56 minutes...

The problem is that, on Monday Morning, there will be traffic...an ungodly amount of traffic...Remember, Ventura County and the Las Virgenes are largely residential "bedroom" communities...People who live in Camarillo, Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village, Oak Park, Agoura Hills, and Calabasas almost all work somewhere to to the East...and all get on that 101 Freeway every Monday Morning...Trust me, I know, I'm there with them...In Thousand Oaks, many more pour down from Moorpark and Simi Valley on the 23...When you get to the 405, EVERYBODY from the San Fernando Valley and points north (more bedroom communities in the Santa Clarita Valley) all join you (the 101 actually clears out as it becomes the 134--too late for you...Most of the traffic heads over the hill through the Sepulveda Pass (405) to jobs in the business centers of the West Side: Century City, Westwood, Beverly Hills...

Now, remember, Los Angeles is built in a series of Valleys, Canyons and Mountain Ranges...There are alternatives to the 101 and 405, but they are few and far between...For the 101, the only alternatives are the 118 (way far to the north and out of your way) and Pacific Coast Highway (which is also a traffic nightmare on weekday mornings)...There are no other highways or even surface streets which go through, east to west...

The only alternatives to the 405 through the Pass are Sepulveda Boulevard--which will be just as jammed...or your choice of canyon roads--Malibu, Topanga, Beverly Glen, Laurel and Coldwater...none of which I'd recommend to the casual visitor......

Basically, ALL traffic funnels through the 101 to the 405 with little in the way of alternatives...

Normally, just the stretch from Camarillo to Calabasas would take a good half hour without traffic...but, on a Monday Morning, it will take at least 45 minutes...but one little accident somewhere will pull that up to over an hour...

At about Topanga Canyon, traffic will grind to a halt...It will take you about a half an hour to go those next 10 miles to the 405...and then the fun starts...It's maybe only another 15 miles to LAX, but it will take you an hour...Even with the Carpool Lane (which tends to go slower than the regular lanes at times)...

So, barring accidents, you're looking at 2 hours 15 minutes or so of actual driving time...

BUT, figure YOU don't really know your way around...You could get lost...You'll need to return a rental car...wait for a shuttle bus back to the terminal...Check your bags...wait in line for security, etc.

So, I'd be leaving Camarillo no later than 7:00 am for a noon flight...

If you were staying in Oxnard, add 30 to 45 minutes to that...

Good luck...

What about if I stayed in Venture instead and then caught the 126 to 118 and down into Lax that way, would it be less conjested? You really educated me about this area of California, I really had no idea, so most people live out in the suberds, do people commute 2 to 3 hrs to work everyday? Is it the same going home after work on Friday? Man I bet on 3 day weekends people flock to the coast ha? Checked on flights out of SanJose, only red eyes available. I guess I kinda just see this end of the cruise as a way of just getting to view the coast not really do much as we will have to come for a week to do that, but atleast this way I get to do the pretty drive, I love to drive ( from New England, so really just enjoy scenery more than the touristy thing)

What about if I stayed in Venture instead and then caught the 126 to 118 and down into Lax that way, would it be less conjested? You really educated me about this area of California, I really had no idea, so most people live out in the suberds, do people commute 2 to 3 hrs to work everyday? Is it the same going home after work on Friday? Man I bet on 3 day weekends people flock to the coast ha? Checked on flights out of SanJose, only red eyes available. I guess I kinda just see this end of the cruise as a way of just getting to view the coast not really do much as we will have to come for a week to do that, but atleast this way I get to do the pretty drive, I love to drive ( from New England, so really just enjoy scenery more than the touristy thing)

That wouldn't save you any time at all...You'd be farther away, going a longer route...and catching traffic from Valencia on down...

No, most of us don't commute 2 to 3 hours each way, but we do commute farther than folks in most other cities...I, for one, drive 34 miles each way from Calabasas to Pasadena...But I know enough to leave home no later than 6:30 to 6:45 each morning and beat the rush...takes me 40-45 minutes...Going home there's no relief, I count on it being at least an hour...There also is not the highly developed mass transit system you find in a lot of cities...We are all wed to our cars...

You might also want to look into flying home out of Monterey or Santa Barbara...

Of course, if it has to be LAX, I'd just get to Camarillo that night before and just make sure to leave early...

In my experience cruising in and out of San Pedro, it is RARE to be off the ship and through Customs and luggage claim sooner than 11AM. Our trip before last it was closer to noon (those with local private transportation get off AFTER those with plane reservations and ship's transfers generally).

I would also recommend changing your plans. Go to Monterey on another trip. For this one, do one of the following ocean-related trips:

Drive to Santa Barbara. You can see some pretty beach areas between Ventura and Santa Barbara, and once you are there you can drive on up to Gaviota and see more pretty coastline. Stay at a nice bed and breakfast in Santa Barbara (I like the Old Yacht Club Inn), eat some good food, stroll on the beach. There is a large craft fair every Sunday AM along the Strand in Santa Barbara that makes a great pre-brunch walk to work up an appitite. Visit the Santa Barbara Mission (the Queen of the Missions)...Sunday service there is lovely even if you are not Catholic. Walk along State Street and take in some shopping (lots of shopping!). If you are into wine, drive up San Marcos Pass and go to Los Olivios (as seen in "Sideways"). You can do all of that late Saturday and Sunday, then get up very early (be on the road no later than 5AM) to fight the traffic to LA, or consider driving down late Sunday evening and staying overnight near the airport.

Alterantively, go south. You could easily drive an hour south of the port to spend the night in Laguna Beach. This is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. The town is full of galleries, shops, and nice restaurants. Again, there are several nice bed and breakfasts places to stay, as well as hotels right on the beach. You could take the scenic route to get there (add about an hour) by going from Seal Beach or Huntington Beach all the way down Pacific Coast Hwy, through Newport and past Crystal Cove State Park (or even consider staying at Crystal Cove if you can get reservations). On Sunday you could drive down to Dana Point, or even to San Diego and back. Consider again driving on north on Sunday evening to stay closer to the airport (perhaps in Redondo or Manhattan or Hermosa Beach) so you don't have to fight that awful Monday AM traffic (most of which is going north from this area) to get to the airport.

I think Splinters idea is what we will do, I had bid on a hotel for Monterey months back on Priceline and got it, not to get excited baout so maybe we will just forfeit that money and just do as Far as Santa barbara this time, it's not like I don't ever plan on coming back, we just usually use vacation time to visit my aging Mom so we can only go to other states every other year, I guess the coast of california will still be there when I have more time to just do a coastal vacation. Actually prior to booking the this cruise on the Goldern I was going to just plan a week on your coast but then figured the expense of 7 days eating, hotels, etc would cost a fortune so then I booked this reasonable price cruise and then tried to cram in sometime driving at the end of it, ha,ha, Anyone want to do a house swap in a year or two? We have a 4 bedroom in Palm Bch County, 15 minutes from Beach, 2 1/2 hrs all the Orlando stuff. Let go print all these suggestions ans see if the hubby comes to the same conclusion. Thanks Everyone.

Archived