Emergency Numbers?

Anjanu

Hopefully, this is the right place for me to ask this question. As awesome as these boards are, they are also very overwhelming, I'm not sure where I should place my question.

I'm going on my first cruise this Thursday on the Carnival Celebration to the Bahamas. Since I've read that it is not financially wise to use cell phones, how do family go about contacting you in case of emergency?

Thank you.

Since I've read that it is not financially wise to use cell phones, how do family go about contacting you in case of emergency?

In case of an emergency, the cost of using a cell phone should not be a consideration. What's more important?

It is quite possible though that the cell phone would be out of range anyway.

If this is an urgent matter, if the phone is in range of service, just keep it on.

Otherwise, your cruise documents will have all the contact information necessary for anyone to reach you in case of an emergency. If you can't find the information, call Carnival customer service and ask. I'm sure it is a common question they get.

There's also email. I will usually check emails either in port (libraries, internet cafe's, etc.) or on the ship once or twice to check in. Just let those concerned know you'll be doing this and to email you. Obviously in case of emergency they can call the ship.

Hope this helps!

Happy Sailing!

Thanks! I also didn't think I would be able to receive cell phone calls. I was planning to put my phone away in the safe until my return. Unfortunately, my mom doesn't have a computer so she would not be able to e-mail me. It's not about the cost of the calls actually, I wanted to know how family would contact you, in case of emergency, if you did not have phone reception.

Thanks for all of the valuable replies!

This is from the Carnival FAQ here:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Sho...unication.aspx

"Can I receive phone calls onboard? spacer.gifFriends and family may call guests onboard via Maritime Telecommunications Network (MTN) Shore-to-Ship telephone service. The rate is $9.50 per minute from the United States; additional long distance charges may apply from outside the United States.

The caller needs to have available the ship name and the guest's name. The charges will be applied to the caller's credit card: MasterCard - Visa - American Express - The Discover Card - Diner's Club. 1-877 CCLSHIP (1-877-225-7447) from the U.S. 1-732-335-3284 from Canada and outside the U.S."

Hope your family doesn't need to use it!

In a real family emergency, cost is not an issue.

Options:

1. Go to the cruise line website (or read your pre-cruise paperwork) to find emergency telephone, fax, and email numbers for your ship.

2. Go to the cruise line website (or read your pre-cruise paperwork) to find the regular telephone and fax numbers for your ship.

3. Call the marine operator from home to get the ship's telephone or fax numbers, and give them to your family.

4. Go to the cruise line website (or read your pre-cruise paperwork) to get the emergency number for the cruise line head office. Once somebody calls them, they can pass messages to the ship.

5. Check with your cellular provider to see if your mobile telephone will be able to operate in the area you are cruising. Check your voice mail once or twice a day.

6. Tell your family to emial you with any issues. Check your email onboard - or in port - every day.

I suggest you check with your cellphone company BEFORE you sail. Check to see if you have an international plan (or can sign up for one for the duration of the cruise). I have read that sometimes when you're docked, even if you're on the ship, if the call goes through a land-cell you'll get charged as if you're calling from that country. Also if you generally get a lot of cell calls and/or text messages/voicemails, and you keep your phone on...you'll get charged for every single one of them.

Just check with your cell company as well as your cruiseline first to be aware of what you're in for.

It wasn't an emergency exactly, but while we were in Alaska in 8/03 our daughter went into labor almost a month early. (due date was 9/3 and we left on 8/3) Our SIL phoned us at our hotel in Fairbanks the night before we boarded the Summit in Seward and left a message. I called them later at the hospital and talked to our daughter, who was doing fine. No call overnight and we were on pins and needles, but waited till 9:30 AM to call. It was a BOY--two minutes out of the womb! Good thing I waited to call, lol. No time to talk, the name hadn't been decided yet and the measurements hadn't been made, either.

The next day on the ship we got a message through the Summit switchboard operator from our SIL with the baby's name and weight/length. Also the good news that mom and baby were doing fine. That has been the only one of our 7 cruises that I was ready to leave when the time came.

SIL, instead of our son, picked us and our friends up at the airport and took us directly to his house to see the baby. Can't believe he's almost 4 and a big brother!

Thanks, everyone for the information! It most definitely wasn't about the cost of the calls. You're absolutely right. In case of an emergency, I most certainly wouldn't care about cost at all. I was most concerned about finding an alternative in case of the possibility of family NOT being able to get through to me on my cell phone.

I appreciate very much all of your responses.

I leave on the Celebration in the morning!!! Yippee!!!

If this is an urgent matter, if the phone is in range of service, just keep it on.

Actually that can be a very expensive mistake. If your cell phone is on, you are charged for the call, whether you answer it or not. If your friends call you, you notice the number and say "oh, I'll call them when I get home" you're out of luck....and quite a few $$ as well.

Only turn the phone on if you are willing to accept the call, and the charges. Otherwise, turned off and in the safe is the best bet, and use the emergency contact numbers in your cruise docs.

Archived