Authentic Enlish Pub in Bermuda NOT THE SWIZZLE INN

renata102

Help me find an authentic English Pub in Bermuda. I already posted in the Bermuda section but its not as busy as this thread.

Before anyone says the Swizzle INN... remember they now have two locations that equals commercialized business.

I am big on very authentic very local pubs. I live minutes from NYC and love exploring interesting restaurants and bars. no chains or the like. Since Bermuda was English ruled I wanted the flavor of it so to speak.

Anyone out there can tell me of an awesome pub with local english fare, dark wood and anything english..... Tell me your experience and where I should go. I always wanted to experience it first hand on English land (well not currently)... before I actually go to Englad (my next trip will be there)

love your mickey mouse!

I looked into that. It looks very MODERN. I wanted something more classic. But that is definatly on my list of possiblities (if I can't find anything else).

excuse my spelling!

keep them coming.

Have you ever been to the frog and onion? What was your experience?

If anyone has been in a great pub please share the name and your experience.

My husband thinks I am crazy asking these questions... but I have limited time to explore this island... so I want to make the best of it. I will be snorkleing in the Bermuda Triangle for the most part of the day.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Looking for local and authentic? Try the Country Squire in Sommerset. It's about a 10 minute drive from the Dockyard on the right side right next to the water. It's really nice to sit outside at night and listen to the frogs.

I agree with those that have recommended the Hog Penny. I went a while back (about 10+ years ago), but they had a local folk musician leading sing alongs. Very cool! Great atmosphere.

Looking for local and authentic? Try the Country Squire in Sommerset. It's about a 10 minute drive from the Dockyard on the right side right next to the water. It's really nice to sit outside at night and listen to the frogs.

Hi,

DH and I have been to both the Hog Penny and the Country Squire and you can't go wrong with either choice. We do have a soft spot for the Hog Penny as we first visited there on our honeymoon.

Have a great cruise.

We had lunch at the Frog&Onion last summer on our Crown cruise, and we all agreed we would definitely go back. It's really quite British, dark and cool with a lot of wood, and it features a lot of English specialties such as a variety of meat pies and English-style fish&chips. The Bermuda fish chowder was excellent , also. We have been to England and this was a good represnetation of an authentic pub. The best part, too, is that it is right there at the Dockyard -- we went to Horseshoe Bay for the day and then had lunch before returning to the ship.

Bloody French get everywhere, don't they.

The frog and onion pub is always a fun place to go and grab some food and drink...

http://www.frogandonion.bm

The Frog and Onion is a must for us everytime we are in Bermuda. They have very good food, some which I would expect to find in an English Pub. Their Cornish Pastie is excellant and one of my favorites.

It is also very convenient since you will be at the Dockyard.

sue

Even though it's been years since I've been to Bermuda, I'll always remember the pub Henry VIII in Southampton, Bermuda. It's a great place! We didn't eat there but we went there every night for drinks. The bartenders got to know me and my mom and had our drinks waiting for us as soon as we got there. The local people in Bermuda are so friendly and polite. I went back to Bermuda the following year and the bartenders still remembered us! We only had a couple of drinks each (don't want you to think we are lushes...) but it was a great place to hang out and they had a piano player playing music there too. The place is (was) immaculate.

Enjoy Bermuda!

-Deanna

We had lunch at the Frog&Onion last summer on our Crown cruise, and we all agreed we would definitely go back. It's really quite British, dark and cool with a lot of wood, and it features a lot of English specialties such as a variety of meat pies and English-style fish&chips. The Bermuda fish chowder was excellent , also. We have been to England and this was a good represnetation of an authentic pub. The best part, too, is that it is right there at the Dockyard -- we went to Horseshoe Bay for the day and then had lunch before returning to the ship.

I agree - we too went there while on the Crown last summer. It truly is quite British, as said, with lots of wood and English fare. The fish and chips are not to be missed, nor is the fish chowder. The beers are also wonderful! It's an easy walk from the dockyard - five to ten minutes depending on how fast/slow you walk and there are some shops nearby as well. Wherever you decide, enjoy!

Archived