Sunny Liston's Tours

cot427

We used Sunny last year and it was just OK. He was a lot of fun, but the tour to me wasn't a tour like we have done on other islands. Also, we wanted to shop for only one hour but he never took us downtown until it was time for the tour to stop.

We were really unhappy about that part. The tour as mentioned is really a couple of stops. He talked at one and then we went to MountainTop. The view is really marvelous from there.

We then went to Coki to stop people off, then to Sapphire to drop people off, and those of us who didn't get to shop in the morning went downtown to shop. We then had to pay cab fare back to the ship which we wouldn't have had to do had he done what he had agreed to initially.

Because we got downtown so late, we couldn't order liquor and have it sent to the ship. We would have to carry it back ourselves, so we didn't buy any.

There were also people at Sapphire Beach that came up to him and were very upset that they paid him and he didn't pick them up downtown to go on the tour. They got a ride to the beach with another tour company.

I think he is a fun person but not the most responsible individual. I think if we were to do this again, I'd book Godfrey. He might not play music like Sunny, but at least he makes sure his people do what he has agreed to. JMO.

I swear, everywhere I go for info on our ports, Sonny comes up as a good choice....how far in advance do you need to book a tour?

We booked last Nov for our trip last month. I think the earlier you book, the better. You won't be sorry with Sunny. Just try and make sure you actually get Sunny. He is great. :D

I swear, everywhere I go for info on our ports, Sonny comes up as a good choice....how far in advance do you need to book a tour?

I booked with Sunny two months out and had no problem and he must have change the order of his tour because the shopping is first then the tour then the beach ( he will take you back to the ship if you do not want to go to the beach)

We used Sunny last year and it was just OK. He was a lot of fun, but the tour to me wasn't a tour like we have done on other islands. Also, we wanted to shop for only one hour but he never took us downtown until it was time for the tour to stop.

We were really unhappy about that part. The tour as mentioned is really a couple of stops. He talked at one and then we went to MountainTop. The view is really marvelous from there.

We then went to Coki to stop people off, then to Sapphire to drop people off, and those of us who didn't get to shop in the morning went downtown to shop. We then had to pay cab fare back to the ship which we wouldn't have had to do had he done what he had agreed to initially.

Because we got downtown so late, we couldn't order liquor and have it sent to the ship. We would have to carry it back ourselves, so we didn't buy any.

There were also people at Sapphire Beach that came up to him and were very upset that they paid him and he didn't pick them up downtown to go on the tour. They got a ride to the beach with another tour company.

I think he is a fun person but not the most responsible individual. I think if we were to do this again, I'd book Godfrey. He might not play music like Sunny, but at least he makes sure his people do what he has agreed to. JMO.

I am not sure why you did not pick the 1/2/3 hours of shopping prior to the tour.

I booked with Sunny for Sept and he will pick us up at 9am and meet again at 12 for the tour.

Hopefully your next tour will be all that you want.

Linda

We are planning to use Sunny for our next cruise in April 2008.

Reading other postings about either Coki or Sapphire, there seems to be some division of what is the best beach.

We want to parasail which I believe can be done at both. BUT for those in our group who do not, which beach is best for other things to do, ie, jetski, swim, snorkle, etc. Also we are always HUNGRY. Which beach has the best to order burgers, sandwiches, libation etc.:D Would be looking for shady areas and beach chairs and psssibly umbrellas too.

Any advice would be welcome.:)

Hi there -

I haven't been to Coki, but Sapphire was great for us....

Sapphire has a small reef that you can wade out to...good for people who don't like to snorkel in deep water. the reef is to the right as you are facing the water. We were told by Sunny that there were a couple restuarants...the one we found was actually on the grounds of the Sapphire Beach Resort. It was more of a grill and "stand" that had burgers, grilled chicken and I think hot dogs. They also had snacks like chips, etc. and soft drinks. There were a couple tables to eat at, but we brought the containers back to the beach with us.

Sapphire Beach has natural shade - there are large trees close to the water, so you could put your lounge chair under a tree. Very relaxing! Just watch out when the iguana scoots up the tree.:eek:

If you look at my pictures below, you can see the reef (it's the dark area, where people are looking down into the water), as well as the trees that provide shade.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2979137510085546686zsgxey

There are also pics of Sunny's tour and the sights we toured with him, parasailing pics, and the ducks and an iguana on Sapphire Beach. We threw that iguana some lettuce and watched him fetch it....chomp, chomp, chomp! If you have kids in your group, they will like the wild ducks, friendly beggars they were. Hope this all helps.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/559526614VbrAFL?start=0

Hi All!

I've never been to the island so please forgive me just trying to understand.

I assume that there are many different cruise ships that he is picking up people from? All about the same time? Does he have multiple "runners" then helping to meet at various docks?

I will certainly get off the Caribbean Princess as quickly as possible but don't want to miss him or have him waiting for me.

Also, how far is the shopping area from the ship? So if I pick 3 hours to shop, he will meet me at the ship, drive me to whereever to shop and then have a designated spot to pick me up to take the rest of the tour?

And same with at the beach, do we all just meet up at a designated spot?

Can you tell I'm OCD?

From what I hear, he is very organized and experienced.....We come in on the Carnival Valor on 8/1/07. It says the ship is there from 9am to 8pm....we opted for the earliest pick up we could get...more shopping...lol

I have heard nothing but good things about him, and since this is only our second cruise, I feel like I am risking it by opting for a tour not through the cruise-line...

Cruisin2Sun - your pics are very nice ...... Thanks for sharing...

My pleasure!

Kraz_Eric----the Valor docked at 9:00 a.m., but by the time every passenger goes through the immigration line, it's closer to 10:00. Sunny told us we probably could not get going with shopping until around 10:00. So we picked shopping 10-12, sightseeing 12-2, and beach 2-4 p.m.

JC Butterfly - Sunny's wife helps pick up people I believe, if there is a conflict. There may be people from other ships on the tour too. When you get off the ship, he (or a helper) will be holding a sign "Sunny Liston tour" and he has a list of names of those who reserved. You could ask Sunny what happens if people want to go to different beaches (he might drop off at all, I'm not sure). And yes, he tells you when he drops you off for shopping where and what time to meet him back at his bus.

Hope that helps.

yeah...he confirmed us for the 10am as well....considering doing the same thing in St. Maarten through his friend....not sure....also considering somesomething else...lol

Thanks so much for the help folks!

Is there a website for godfrey?

I booked with Sunny for October and now I've received a paypal link to pre-pay for October. I'm going on a 10 day cruise and have booked tours in every port and this is the only tour where I was asked for $$$ upfront. Did you all pre-pay this?

From what I hear, he is very organized and experienced.....We come in on the Carnival Valor on 8/1/07. It says the ship is there from 9am to 8pm....we opted for the earliest pick up we could get...more shopping...lol

I have heard nothing but good things about him, and since this is only our second cruise, I feel like I am risking it by opting for a tour not through the cruise-line...

If it makes you feel better, I e mailed Sonny's group and was told if there was a problem like bad weather or something you get a full refund.

Linda

I have no doubt that Sunny is an honest man. But, the same Private Tour through another company and a tad cheaper, no money up front. That made the difference for us. I would have to pay in advance, then collect from everyone (certainly not worried about that) but if bad weather or no port stop, then I have to start giving it back:eek: Now it becomes a PITA.

That was the only reason we did not go with Sunny. His cancellation policy was you could cancel 2 days ahead of time (we would be in the middle of the Carib) or no stopping in Port. I had not problem with that.

He did not say anything about the weather to me at the time.

I have no doubt that Sunny is an honest man. But, the same Private Tour through another company and a tad cheaper, no money up front. That made the difference for us. I would have to pay in advance, then collect from everyone (certainly not worried about that) but if bad weather or no port stop, then I have to start giving it back:eek: Now it becomes a PITA.

That was the only reason we did not go with Sunny. His cancellation policy was you could cancel 2 days ahead of time (we would be in the middle of the Carib) or no stopping in Port. I had not problem with that.

He did not say anything about the weather to me at the time.

You are right though there are many tour operators in St Thomas that offer the same tour for the same price or less. I don't want to pay upfront just to have a tour guide that sings to us. LOL

As a matter of fact I just found the email and I asked him what happens if we hit bad weather and miss the port.....he said we would get a full refund.

Sandi, I separate the two, bad weather AND miss the port. Now I don't mean a few rain showers, but sometimes, depending on the time of year, it can get pretty nasty in the VIs. That is what I was worried about.

Our main reason for the Private Tour was to do what we wanted, mostly activities at Sapphire:) If weather is really bad, no beach, no activities.

If you pay up front, that could be a problem. (At least that is my thinking):)

Sandi, I separate the two, bad weather AND miss the port. Now I don't mean a few rain showers, but sometimes, depending on the time of year, it can get pretty nasty in the VIs. That is what I was worried about.

Our main reason for the Private Tour was to do what we wanted, mostly activities at Sapphire:) If weather is really bad, no beach, no activities.

If you pay up front, that could be a problem. (At least that is my thinking):)

Actually it's funny you should mention rain. When we were on the tour part with Sunny the skies opened up. I surely thought that our whole day was going to be a washout. He still gave us the tour and by the time we got to the beach the rain had stopped. We had a blast anyway even with the rain.

Whichever tour guide you decide to go with, you will have a great time. St. Thomas is a beautiful island and I would go back there today, if I could. :D

Archived