TSA Has List Of Approved Luggage Locks

Host Walt

We use sturdy cable ties. If TSA needs to get in they can cut them open, but then they replace them with their own. Haven't had a problem in three years of travel including 3 trips overseas.

FLJudi

We bought them when for our Feb. 2004 cruise from Magellean. Magellean guarantees them, that if they're broken, they will replace them. Unfortunately, in the Atlanta airport they removed one (whether they unlocked it or broke it we don't know) and did not put it back on the suitcase. We now use cable ties.

Garry

Whenever I travel to the United States I use cable ties. Travelling from Australia the last thing I want to do is start looking for somewhere to repair my suitcase if damaged by the TSA or looking for replacement locks.

Even in Australia now I use the cable ties - very convenient.

Cheers

Merlin123

I do the same as FLJudi and pack nail clippers in an unlocked outside pocket of my suitcase. I use the big toe clippers rather than the dainty fingernail size ones. In Australia you can't carry any type of nail clipper (with or without file) on board.

Merlin123

If I’m not mistaken those TSA approved locks cost around $ 20 each.

We used cable ties and carry a nail clipper on our carry-on. Just remember to bring extra cable ties for the return trip. :D

We have been using colored cable ties for years. In the old days we used them in addition to locks. (too many master keys) If TSA cuts the cable they replace it with one of their own and slip a notice into your suitcase informing you your bag has been inspected. If you use colored cable ties you can tell immediately if someone other than TSA has been in your luggage. We don't secure the cable ties until we check the bags. I don't worry about having anything to cut them at the destination...hotel, family, ship, etc have cutting implements. Just returned from 3 weeks in Europe and had 4 international flights...nary a problem.

Archived