Oscar Gill House in Anchorage

milolii

• 2 months later...

We stayed in room one. It had a small tv and the private bath with a whirlpool. That room was good. We just stayed one night twice, before and after the train. Susan (owner) was out of town one night and she had another lady who took care of us. The breakfast was a sit down affair and was OK. She was very nice. Bedding, linens were great.

The web site states the rooms have darkening shades, but it never got dark. This was July. The house is across the street from a large park. We walked about four blocks to get dinner. There are many books about AK in the living room. The train station is about a $5.00 cab ride. The price is also good.

We stayed in room one. It had a small tv and the private bath with a whirlpool. That room was good. quote]

Did the bathroom in room one have a shower? Reading inbetween the lines, I got the feeling you were not that impressed with the place. Is it a place you would recommend and stay at again if you returned to Anchorage?

It was a little too close for me, privacy wise. Other B&Bs I have stayed in were actually more like houses.

We have never stayed in a B&B before this trip. So far I have reserved B&Bs in Talkeetna and Healy. I have nothing to compare it to.

What do you mean by "It was a little too close for me, privacy wise?"

If this B&B was not like a house, what was it?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I do want to make a good choice. I have been pricing the hotels and they seem so expensive for what you get.

We stayed there in June. I've never stayed at a B&B before, we were in the room with shared bath and it was fine. Our flight was very late due to weather. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom had an area with sink and dressing area and then the toilet and bathtub(old castiron tub) with shower cutain around it, was in another area with a door. Since we weren't rushed, sharing a bathroom with others wasn't a problem, they left before we were up. Not sure what you meant by not like a house or close since it was basically like the old farmhouses I'm used? I was a little aprehensive about sharing the bath (and B&B's in general) but it worked out fine. We aren't real fond of Anchorage (too city like IMHO) but we liked the location just fine.

Breakfast was french toast with fruit before Susan left for work. We used the bikes (free!) they had and went on the Tony Knowles ride for a very pleasant morning in Anchorage before heading off to lunch at Humpy's (great halibut) then off to King Salmon and Brooks Falls camping.

We have never stayed in a B&B before this trip. So far I have reserved B&Bs in Talkeetna and Healy. I have nothing to compare it to.

What do you mean by "It was a little too close for me, privacy wise?"

If this B&B was not like a house, what was it?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I do want to make a good choice. I have been pricing the hotels and they seem so expensive for what you get.

It was a house, but I have stayed in B&Bs were the room was over a garage or barn. This is an old restored house, very nice, but someone else is across the hall. Visit the web site. OscarGillHouse.com

Archived