Gift ideas for steward

I read somewhere here on this thread that the staff does not receive their tips for a few weeks after the cruise? Then how do these poor souls know that we did not stiff them, unless you leave more? Any ideas?

I have prepaid my tips, and of course, we always give another tip to the steward at the end, but - a few weeks after they get the money I paid over 6 months ago??

Can someone set the record straight? Is this correct?

If you prepay your tips or add them to your seapass, then you get the voucher that you no doubt have given to your waiters/cabin steward. They use those to check against what the ship gives them. I don't know if they get a separate printout or anything besides the slip of paper, though. Cruiser 182, do you know? If you tip in cash, they will have it in hand, but unless they open the envelope in front of you or you leave a note inside with your cabin number, they won't know whether you tipped them and how much.

And yes, if you paid that amount at final payment or earlier, RCI was earning the interest while you waited impatiently for your cruise!

Sorry if I offended. I was just relaying what I have been told. The crew prefers cold cash over anything. I own my own business. I prefer my customers pay me in dollars, not gifts. I have several customers who do in fact give me gifts on different occasions. As a good business person will do, I always thanked and acted enthused over their gifts. I appreciate the thought and would not insult the giver, but really they are only adding to my junk drawer, Salvation Army donation box and even the trash.

I am not saying that the crew you have given food did not appreciate it, just stating that I wouldn't want it and either does my friend.

Then I won't bring you any.;)

I'm not offended, I believe that the food is appreciated as a change of pace in addition to, not in lieu of, a full cash tip. As I said, I tip plenty of cash. I just like to do something extra when I can. After a day or two, I have had my cabin steward (or a favorite bartender) place an order with me before I say anything, so I have to think that those individuals are just fine with it.

Bring him or her some food from the Windjammer or order up a nice meal from room service. The usual fare in the crew mess is chicken and rice, and we've always found that our cabin steward enjoys a change of pace.

Good tip. I'm always interested in giving the steward something that shows how much I value him, but the downside is that the gesture usually ends up costing me something monetary-like. I'm good at making phone calls and so the idea of just calling room service and handing him my free meal is the sort of personal touch that I was looking for. I once considered giving the steward my empty bottle of Cakebread Cellers Cabernet but I found out that it had a return value of $0.10 and so I left the cork instead. :D

I take $2 bills and leave them daily, along with a piece of wrapped chocolate like Russell Stovers or a snack size bar, and a note thanking him for some service--like keeping my six-pack cooler full of ice, getting me wine glasses, a cork screw--whatever.

Please be careful with the $2 bills. They really are only used in the US. In other places internationally, there are many people who think they are faked and don't believe that they are real US money. I would stick to the more common bills to prevent some less experiences crew member from thinking you are leaving play money.

[quote name=cruise182;

I was just relaying what I have been told. The crew prefers cold cash over anything. I own my own business. I prefer my customers pay me in dollars' date=' not gifts. I have several customers who do in fact give me gifts on different occasions. As a good business person will do, I always thanked and acted enthused over their gifts. I appreciate the thought and would not insult the giver, but really they are only adding to my junk drawer, Salvation Army donation box and even the trash.

I am not saying that the crew you have given food did not appreciate it, just stating that I wouldn't want it and either does my friend.[/quote]

Hello cruise 182,

you are so right and the information you have been providing (in this post and some others) is so correct ( I know that you have a GF who worked on a ship) ....... but 'we are' who 'we are' and 'we do things' that might not make any sense to others but 'only to us'. Most of 'us' have really good intentions to 'treat' the stewards, waiters (or who ever) with something special but often 'we' do not even know that we might be doing something wrong.

I am sure that you will agree with my opinion that: The stewards are on the ship only for one reason - to make money / make a better living. Many are educated people and they have chosen the job on the ship because it pays a lot better than jobs at 'home'. They have access to all the stores, bars, restaurants in every port - the same ports and the same places that 'we' go to. They can, and do buy what they want, they know better than 'we' do, what is a bargain and what is not, often they wear better clothes and have better 'things' than 'we' do - they are in the same ports often and even that they might not be 'free' to go on shore every time...but there will be some of their friends who will be going on shore and they can bring them all 'the chocolates' that they want......as long as they have the money to pay for it.

So, I can only offer to them: respect - treat them the same as I would treat any of my equals, tip/payment for services rendered and possibly good comments on the "comment / evaluation card" or even a "thank you letter' send to HQ....if something was done by them for me, that I consider extraordinary.

They are people just like 'us' - no lesser and no better. Most of them have seen more of the world than most of the passengers, that they are 'serving' have.

They are smart and have been 'trained' to show 'happiness' and say "thank you' if they receive any thing from 'us'...regardless if it is 'junk' to them or not.

The cruise lines are not 'slave drivers' and perhaps they do not treat the 'crew' the same as 'us' /passengers/guests......but they do not harm them either......and many of the stewards / waiters have signed and worked on the ship for many years.

It is so unfortunate that so many of 'us' think of the steward...as our 'personal steward' that 'we' want to take home with us......not neccessarly to marry him/her.....although that happens once in a while too.

So , IMO - money and respect......and some smiles and 'thank yous' - is what I want to give to 'my' steward.

Wes

I take $2 bills and leave them daily, ...(thinking maybe the new $1 coins might be worth a try)

Not a good idea. The $2 bills and dollar coins are not widely recognized around the world and I have read here that some of the foreign banks will not accept them as real currency. Seems clever and cute I know, but stick with standard bills that we KNOW will be accepted.

When we went on our cruise we went with friends of ours. Our friend grew up in the Phillipines - our room stewardess was from the Phillipines so naturally they became fast "friends" so in the evening when we would leave for dinner my friend (who is "crafty") would make a towel animal for our room stewardess - she would leave them on the bed, on the couch, or in the bathroom - it became a fun surprise for our room stewardess....then of course extra cash at the end of the cruise. :D

That is a good idea but I would never leave the info with Guest Relations. I wait until I arrive back home and send an email through Crown and Anchor. I do this every cruise and give them the names of each crew members name. I always get a response back thanking me. I do know that RCI follows up as I have had one of the crew members thank me on the next cruise. The notes of praise gets the crew members more time off. Sometimes even an extra day off.

You should leave your messages of thanks at Guest Relations, that way the person's manager knows straight away that crew member has given you good service and can praise the crew member accordingly that week.

Still contact head office when you get home, then that way all parties get the info about your excellent crew members.

We will be going on a 15 night cruise in Oct. Because of airline restrictions and space problems we have decided to purchase all of our toiletries and sundries in San Diego before we leave on the ship. At the end of the cruise there will most likely be left-overs of shampo/conditioner, sunscreen,lotion,etc. If I leave this in my room at the end of my stay will they get used or just tossed out? I can understand a no on things like deordorant and toothpaste which I will toss myself but what about the other stuff? Chris

If you prepay your tips or add them to your seapass, then you get the voucher that you no doubt have given to your waiters/cabin steward. They use those to check against what the ship gives them. I don't know if they get a separate printout or anything besides the slip of paper, though. Cruiser 182, do you know?

I just asked for us! She said that they know BEFORE the end of the cruise who prepaid and how much you prepaid. They get that money by the end of the following cruise. According to this information, I suspect that you may, repeat MAY, get better service if you do not pre-tip. I know that I would be more inclined to go out of my way to please a guest if my tip was not already predetermined. Not saying I, or they, would provide unacceptable service, just that I wouldn’t be as motivated to go above and beyond if the tip was already given prior to me serving you.

I'm not offended, I believe that the food is appreciated as a change of pace in addition to, not in lieu of, a full cash tip. As I said, I tip plenty of cash. I just like to do something extra when I can. After a day or two, I have had my cabin steward (or a favorite bartender) place an order with me before I say anything, so I have to think that those individuals are just fine with it.

Last night my GF and I were talking about this topic. (she is probably so sick of me picking her brain) She did say that the stewards may in fact like getting the food. They do not work in the galley and dining areas. As a result they do not have access to the guest food like the servers. Even though it is against the company policy for the servers to snack/eat out of the galley, it is done quiet often. Also, she said that servers hang with servers and chefs and the stewards hang more with their fellow coworkers. So the servers do get to eat our food since they do sneak it and have their chef friends bring stuff down to them. So it certainly could be appreciated by the stewards more then the servers. Again, we are all different. The most important thing is if you are comfortable doing it and I am sure they appreciate the gesture regardless of whether they want the food or not. And thanks for not sending me any food. Trying to loose weight as it is!!

WES, great post. So many true statements. And yes, they can and some do dress better then us. Name brand clothes and all. They are educated, and are they are there to make money and provide a service. The ones that I have met off the ship certainly take great pride in what they do for a living. You should see all the pictures my friend has from Alaska, Caribbean, Panama canal, Hawaii.

cricky

Not sure the answer as EVERYONE is different. Perhaps some would use these leftover products. I know that the few crew members that I have gotten to know personally (through my GF) that they probably wouldn’t think of it. They are as, if not more, germ conscious then I am. For what they do the money is ok. But when they take that money to their countries they are considered well off. And so they are accustomed to living a higher life style then most of their countryman. True story. One of my GF crew members grew up with my GF in Trinidad. They both signed up for the ship at the same time. She now is planning to do one more contract and then she will have enough money to buy a house and land with her cash. She will have no mortgage or rent. And she will be able to work at the Marriott in Trinidad (for far less then she made on the ship) but still live well as she will not have rent to pay. How many of us can work for 5 years and pay for our houses in cash? The point is they are just like us. So, I suggest you ask yourself if you would use a half empty bottle of shampoo from a stranger?

Just wanted to be clear.

I know I have probably sound like I am trying to get people to over tip or tip according to what they make. that is not the case. I was just giving some insight on the crew. Tipping is a very personal transaction. I think tipping should be according to the service and your personal feeling. I just wanted to let the NON-tippers understand that they do work entirely on tips (plus a meager wage of $50.00) Just don't want to come across as someone telling you what to do. Just stating what I have been told and hopefully this information will help guests better determine what they want to leave for a tip. If everyone tipped the minimum suggested (which I do not suggest for poor service) the crew would make good money.

Wes, I share your philosophy. It's interesting to speak with some of the servers or attendants at times and find out that many of them are very well educated, but can make more money working on a cruise ship than at home.

Our last dining room waiter was a professional photographer, wanting to set up his own shop in his home country. He told us it would take many years to scrimp and save, all the while living with his parents to realize his dream at home. He was saving as much money as he could working on the ship and intended to leave after the current contract had expired, he had been a waiter only 4 years.

We have almost always gladly left an additional amount for our servers and attendants, we feel they are worth it. I've never noticed a change of service no matter how the tips are paid; in cash at the end, pre-paid on our sea pass, even a daily service charge such as they apply on NCL.

I am amused by the people who think they are getting "extra" service by pre-tipping, what they list is standard for all attendants, waiters, bartenders. But, they are more than happy to relieve you of your cash ;) .

We were on the Century last year sailing from Barcelona, and you will always find large bars of chocolate on buy one get on free at most UK airports, so we purchased two of the 1kg bars, and one went to the room steward, he seemed really happy for this.

We will do this seem this year on the Navigator sailing from Southampton.

Steven

I take my own Thank You cards which I get at the dollar store for .50 and put their regular tip plus extra if the service has been great, which so far it has. We always have a good relationship if possible with our room stewart.

He is thanked when we see him and I think anyone likes to know they are doing an excellent job.

Anyway it has worked wonderful for us

Write a letter to the president of RCCI, with a copy to the Ship's Captain, commending good service. That pays off in spades for staff. They get recognized in their division and it helps them when they do their next contract.

We were on the Century last year sailing from Barcelona, and you will always find large bars of chocolate on buy one get on free at most UK airports, so we purchased two of the 1kg bars, and one went to the room steward, he seemed really happy for this.

We will do this seem this year on the Navigator sailing from Southampton.

Steven

Sort of sounds like the Allied troops handing out chocolate bars to the poor starving children after WWII. I would love to read the room steward's mind as you hand him the chocolate bar and he smiles back to you.

As has been mentioned many times, the people who work cruises are not doing it because they love you (although they are trained to act as if they do) but for the money - more than they can make with the same skill set at home.

Treat them with respect, don't look down on them, and give them money.

DON

Hubby used to work on the Majesty of the Seas and the cabins are not big and they have to share them. If you don't want to give them the extra cash they like the phone cards. I try to get a at least 4 phone cards prior to leaving for the cruise. Also giving them excellent at the end of the cruise will help too. If they get a good instead of excellent they get a smaller station meaning less money.

Lexi

Archived