Mad at Seabourn Itinerary Changes

avalon1025

Hi all,

I have to vent, booked on the Dec 15th Pride sailing form Barbados, the itinerary is being changed from St Thomas to Grand Turk, having just been to the created Carnival port in Grand Turk its a dissapointment vs St Thomas, its a Margaritaville and a pool. Also we are in port with two large Carnival ships and Seabourn is trying to pass it off as a better Seabourn experience than St Thomas. I called reservations and no one even had the correct itinerary insisting that San Juan was on the cruise. Very fustrating.

I guess I'll treat it as another sea day.

Avalon,

Sorry to hear that you're disappointed. I too would have liked to visit St. Thomas, but definitely NOT on the day originally scheduled! Check out www.cruisecal.com for a list of the five (5) behemoths scheduled to be in port with the Pride in St. Thomas on the 19th (~20,000 passengers)! Yikes! I can't imagine getting any real feel for the island when the majority of the population that day is from a mass-market cruise ship.

We are also booked for this sailing and I've actually been hoping that Seabourn would scrap St. Thomas, but was ultimately hoping for a day in St. Croix instead. I guess I'll have to give up on that idea and start reading up on Grand Turk now. I really hope it's not as bad as you say though!

Look forward to meeting you on board,

Bechi

Hello!

We visited Grand Turk in Dec on the Prinsendam and we were in with 1 other ship and it was not bad (Carnival Elation), but there is nothing to do other than a strip of beach and heavy selling and loud noise from the large Margarittaville bar and pool (this is one of those created ports like Costa Maya). We will be in with the Carinval Conquest and Costa Atlantica so the beach will be packed. Even the Sebaourn supoervisor said it would be far form a Seabourn experience. Though, we might be out of there by the time the larger ships arrive (we depart I think around 1:00, and the carinval ships arrive around noon)

Its only a short port day, so I'll think of it as another sea day.

JT

IMO The St Thomas stop is far and away the weakest part of the Barbados to Florida itinerary. You are not missing anything. St. Barts is wonderful, The Virgin Gorda picnic is truly great, St Thomas has always just been a quick stop to allow for immigration processing. You don't really have time for anything other than town and that is an endless parade of barkers trying to get you into tours and questionable jewelers. The Turks and Caicos region is lovely to sail through. Grab a mimosa and a prime deck chair and stay aboard, secure in the knowledge that you are missing nothing at all by skipping St Thomas.

I could never figure out what the draw is for St. Thomas. It used to be great deals on shopping, but no more. There are many "off limits" areas due to crime, most of the beaches are now just OK and there are masses of people. It has, and probably will always be, in my mind a sea day.

Honestly, I would think totally eliminating St. Thomas from the Seabourn itineraries might well be - well...more Seabourn-like. (Don't think that is going to happen, though.)

Avalon,

How did you find out about the itinerary change? I have been on this cruise twice and agree with Schnauzer's take on St. Thomas - you don't really have time to do anything except go downtown and mingle with the mega-ship crowd and tanzanite peddlers.

I've often thought old San Juan would make a better alternative for the third port on this repositioning cruise. It's a little closer to Port Everglades meaning the ship could stay past 1 p.m.

However, I like completing the US immigration formalities before Florida and the new stop at Grand Turk won't allow that. Getting up early in St. Thomas was slightly inconvenient, but it eliminates one hassle on departure day.

johnny

I can think of another thing San Juan and St. Thomas have that Grand Turk does not -- Golf! Obviously not a big concern for most people but we choose our Caribbean itineraries based on the number of golf ports -- it's how I convince my husband to take a cruise rather than a golf resort vacation! We're on the 11 day Feb 2008 Caribbean Highlights and they just took away one of our four golf ports so we're not happy -- we thought it was a great itinerary as it was. They should communicate itinerary changes to all those who have already booked.

I can think of another thing San Juan and St. Thomas have that Grand Turk does not -- Golf! Obviously not a big concern for most people but we choose our Caribbean itineraries based on the number of golf ports -- it's how I convince my husband to take a cruise rather than a golf resort vacation! We're on the 11 day Feb 2008 Caribbean Highlights and they just took away one of our four golf ports so we're not happy -- we thought it was a great itinerary as it was. They should communicate itinerary changes to all those who have already booked.

Most cruise lines send the travel agents itinerary changes to communicate with their clients. I find it odd that Seabourn wouldn't do that. I haven't had any clients with changes on Seabourn yet but that would be an interesting thing to ask them. I would hope that they would tell us as soon as they know. I am going to ask my rep.

Kate

I can understand your disappointment with a change in the cruise schedule. You buy a product thinking it is one thing and then regardless of whether one port is better than another, you want what you pay for. So sorry. I hope it turns out to be great for you!!

Okay, really not happy, just realized they changed not one but two of our ports on our cruise -- took out San Juan and St. John for Grand Turk and Tortola. We booked directly with Seabourn and no communication from them yet. We'll most likely cancel.

It can also work the other way. I was not interested in the September Pride crossing with stops in Dublin and Derry, but when it changed from Dover to St John's and south to Gloucester, it was much more appealing. That and the two 'free' nights at the MO beforehand.

Like Jane...we are pleased with the change. We have done the Carib. a lot..and the changes for our Feb/Mar cruise put us to ports that we have not visited. They do have a notatation that changes can occur at any time. Though I can understand the disapointment to some of you.Lola

Seabourn sent us a fax on the itinerary change to Grand Turk, we never heard of the itinerary change from St Thomas to San Juan. Also the web site itinerary never changed so how is anyone to know (in fact the supervisior I spoke with at HQ had no idea the itinerary was change, I almost want to fax the Seabourn fax back to them).

I was meeting friends in St Thomas, so no more of that. I will still go, but Grand Turk is a let down as a port and made-up for the mass market ships. For some reason I think cost is palying a role, Carnival owns the Grand Turk port and they probably offer lower docking fees than other ports

Seabourn just updated the itinerary on line. The ship leaves Grand Turk at 11AM! Why bother? By the time I get up, eat and get off the ship, the ship will be back out to sea! I find this so funny!

I believe I read the new pier in Grand Turk can accommodate two vessels. The megaships are arriving at 11 a.m. and noon so the li'l Pride has to get the heck out of Dodge. I agree the short, early morning stay is even more ridiculous than the 1 p.m. departure from St. Thomas ... if Santa Ana Jane were on your cruise, she might be able to get a one-tank dive out of it, but that's about it:D . There are six months to go ... maybe Seabourn will rethink the decision, but I'm sure the Grand Turk "company pier" has something to do with it.

I say the following as one who does not consider the Caribbean a prime vacation destination and as someone fairly knowledgeable as to the cost of a week's cruise on Seabourn: "Let's keep some perspective."

This cruise is one of the, if not the, least expensive Seabourn cruise of the year. I would be more than happy - if I had the time - to take this cruise, plant myself in various locations on the deck, never get off the ship and consider myself lucky. If the ports are such a big deal, there still is plenty of time to cancel without penalty. (I did a land vacation in St. Thomas years ago...I emphasize it was - and will remain - once!)

There are many cruises that have changes in itineraries, a remarkable number where ports are abandoned at the last minute because of weather/tendering issues, etc. Further, I am sure there are more guests that could care less about St. Thomas than care, think spending a morning in Tortola just to check it out and have a quick swim is better than an entire day there, etc., etc. No, it's not perfect, but...

And while it is true that this particular cruise isn't going to win any awards for "best itinerary", it was never in the running for same. I am sure it will be, however, still in the running for "best service", "best food", etc.

Eric--I'm amazed--we have lived and were involved in the tourist industry in the Caribbean for many years--everybody has there own opinion, but we found the Caribbean to have some super tourist destinations, and I'm happy to say many many people from all over the World agree with me. I may be a little twisted but I also think New Jersey(I think thats your home) has some very pretty spots! Don

its not the cheapest cruise of the year for us single folk! For me its the run around of where this ship is going, St Thomas? San Juan, Grand Turk. Its eneded up a BS port for 4 hours in the early AM, call it a sea day and don't bother.

Tortola,This really is the worst stop in the world.I will not get off of a ship here again.I enjoy the peace while everyone is ashore.The noise gets pretty loud when people get back,moaning and wondering why they ever left the ship in Tortola.

I do not doubt your judgment. But can you please explain why you dislike Tortola?

Thanks.

Eric--I'm amazed--we have lived and were involved in the tourist industry in the Caribbean for many years--everybody has there own opinion, but we found the Caribbean to have some super tourist destinations, and I'm happy to say many many people from all over the World agree with me. I may be a little twisted but I also think New Jersey(I think thats your home) has some very pretty spots! Don

Don, I'm not saying boycott the Caribbean, but I have seen the islands become more and more homogenized at to cultures, the same tourist stuff being sold from more and more stalls, more beaches going from pristine to just OK and worse, and relentless hawkers on the beach....while crime has skyrocketed in many areas. Also, I can't tell you how many times I hear "I'm tired of beaches. Even the kids are."

Yes, there are non-beach things to do (and I do them when I am there) and yes, there are some excellent resorts (though you tend to be trapped - my word! - if you stay at many of them). However, with so many other places to travel to, it just doesn't "float my boat" (or others) that much any more. It may well be the same reason chocolate and vanilla exist.

Avalon, the single supplement does put a damper on things, to be sure. At least the port changes were made well in advance and since the cruise is not a bargain for you, possibly an alternative would work better. :confused: Either way, I know it ain't fun. Hang in there.

Archived