minor traveling with no passport/and no parents...some questions

crissyp

Just a couple of questions, we leave on the crown in less than 2 weeks,

my 17 yr old son is bringing his 17 yr old friend along. He applied for his passort back in March and still has not received it. He was told to print the receipt from the government website stating that he applied, and to have a government issued picture ID ( he will bring his drivers license)

Of course his original birth certificate went off with his passport application, so he does not have that either.

I'm just wondering because he his a minor if you think we'll have any problems. I have printed forms from a website for "Minor Traveling without Parents" and will have his parents sign and notarize it, but they seem that they are only needed in case of medical emergency.

We are going to Bermuda, Grand Turk, San Juan and St. Thomas.

Am I worrying for nothing, I would feel much better if he had it, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Crissy

my 17 yr old son is bringing his 17 yr old friend along. He applied for his passort back in March and still has not received it. He was told to print the receipt from the government website stating that he applied, and to have a government issued picture ID ( he will bring his drivers license)

Of course his original birth certificate went off with his passport application, so he does not have that either.

I'm just wondering because he his a minor if you think we'll have any problems. I have printed forms from a website for "Minor Traveling without Parents" and will have his parents sign and notarize it, but they seem that they are only needed in case of medical emergency.

Am I worrying for nothing, I would feel much better if he had it, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Crissy

There is an old saying: You never need it until someone asks for it and you do not have it. As a legal precaution, you should have the form with you in case some asks about taking a minor out of the Country/ into another Country without the minor's parents. You may also need it for consent for medical treatment.

Are you worrying for nothing? Well, you are just being cautious and want to CYA (cover your assets). So the bottom line is have the form with you and store a notarized copy separate from the original in case you loose

I understand the original birth certificate was sent with the passport application, however, I'd be nervous that the DL & the passport receipt wouldn't be sufficient and Princess might want to also see the original birth certificate. I'd check with your TA or Princess and maybe have the parents of the friend call the capital of the state where the friend was born and get 2nd original birth certificate.

I lost mine years ago and called Trenton, NJ. They told me what to mail to them and I received the replacement.

I was just on the princess website and in the important messages part of the cruise personalizer it clearly states that passengers without a passport must have a government ID and an original birth certificate.

.... at the very least you need to have this young man's parents contact the Register of Deeds (or whomever keeps these sort of records) in the county/city where he was born and get an raised seal certified copy of his birth certificate.. you will need therefore

1. drivers license

2. raised seal certified copy of birth certificate

3. receipt re passport application and

4 the permission form from his parents.. this is definitely required!

My Dad is on the Crown at this moment. He too did not get his passport in time. He did bring the gov't letter that said it was in processing. They told him to bring his Birth Cert. Since it was with the passport he had to go and get another one (it has a raised seal). He brought his birth cert, but left it in his suitcase. The suitcase went with the porter and he tried to check in. They told him if he didn't bring the birth cert to the "office" before they left the dock he would not be able to leave the ship, but would be able to continue to cruise. He did have his Drivers License when he checked in. So......I would try to get another Birt cert asap. My Dad was able to go to the town hall and get it in a day.

Thanks,

Crissy

I'm going through the same thing, although the child is my own, so I'm familiar with the whole frustrating process.

I suggest that you call the passport hotline for him and find out where in the process is his passport. It'll take you hours to get through, but when you get hold of a customer service person (when you call, don't press any number and just let the message play until the end, then you'll be connected to someone), give them a date that's within 2 weeks from the day you call. If they already have a batch number, then they may find that passport for you and expedite it by finding it and mailing it to you. But if they don't have a batch number, you will have to make an appointment with a local passport center and re-apply for a passport. You'll get a passport within a day or 2.

But this whole process takes too long. If you can expedite and get his birth certificate within 2 weeks. Do so. All you need now is a printout from the passport website saying his application is in process and his birth certificate. I think if he has a driver's license, then he is OK too, but I'm not 100% sure on this one.

But get a notarized letter from his parents stating that they give consent for him to travel with you. I think if you search on this forum, you'll find an example of this letter.

Here is the passport center info:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/npic/npic_898.html

BTW, when you call, they'll want his social security number and his birthdate.

thanks for all your replies....

I just found out that his application for his passport was a renewal, and that he didn't have to send his Birth Cetificate. What a relief!

So we have: Original Birth Certificate with raised seal, NYS Drivers License ( with his picture ), application from NYS Government saying he applied for his passport, and a notarized copy signed by both parents says he has permission to travel with me. Maybe I'll tell him to bring School ID also, (just because it has his picture).

Still keeping those fingers crossed for that passport to arrive:)

Crissy

I just found out that his application for his passport was a renewal, and that he didn't have to send his Birth Cetificate. What a relief!

So we have: Original Birth Certificate with raised seal, NYS Drivers License ( with his picture ), application from NYS Government saying he applied for his passport, and a notarized copy signed by both parents says he has permission to travel with me. Maybe I'll tell him to bring School ID also, (just because it has his picture).

Crissy

I would make sure you have a notorized letter from his parents saying that you can make medical decisions on their behalf when out of the country.

I have that notarized letter saying that we can make decisions in case of a medical emergency.

He just dropped all his documents off to me and said he actually got through to the Passport Office last week, and they asked him when he was traveling, and then told him he would have his passport by 7/2, that they would expedite it and there would be no charge:rolleyes:

Does this sound right???

Crissy

( also, I'm just looking at his BC and it says " Certificate of Birth Registration, it does have the raised seal...His mom just told me that that is the original copy send from Albany.)

Oh please make his passport come:(

OP is travelling to: Bermuda, Grand Turk, San Juan and St. Thomas.

Passport is not required for this cruise (unless they're planning to fly to the embarkation port via Canada or Mexico).

The kid needs birth cert, gov't issued photo-ID and the consent letter from his parents.

So, in this case, from what you've described above, you have all docs needed.

Crissy

Since you aren't flying outside the US to get the ship, all you need is the birth certificate and his drivers license. You don't need the proof of passport processing at all.

You are good to go.

As an FYI, the "original" birth certificate is ALWAYS kept in the county of your birth. What you receive is an offical copy of the birth certificate. In the US, nobody ever has their original birth certificate. What that means is that you can always get a certified copy of it from the county clerk where you were born.

The whole "receipt for passport application" will only affect cruisers that are flying to/from a Western Hemisphere Initiative nation for a cruise.

Birth certificate, drivers license are all that are necessary to cruise currently, for the non-family minor, I would get permission to travel, and medical decision making authority.

Crissy

Leave the school ID at home (he might lose it:p ).

A school ID, even w/photo, is not acceptable. It is not a "government" issued ID.

You are all set. The medical consent letter covers the allergies and any other issues. It simply gives you the ability to make any medical decisions in lieu of the parents. Its not like a letter for a school field trip.

Good job- have a great time !

Archived