Middle-Aged Mom Sails Solo (Sort Of)

Karin, thanks for your review. I'm excited to learn you had aft cabin 5186. We're 1st time HAL cruisers on Oosterdam 12/8 & we have aft cabin 5186. You say the Oosterdam version of the veranda is larger. Is that because of the Noordam recent retrofit? What is the actual cabin like? I've seen a few pictures, but hearing it from the (excuse me) "horse's mouth" will be exciting.:)

Golfette, on the Noordam I was in cabin 5191, which corresponds to cabin 5187 on the Oosterdam. You will be in cabin 5186, which corresponds to Noordam's cabin 5190. These are all SC cabins, and are very nice. There is ample storage and bathroom space, which renders it very easy for two people to prepare simultaneously for dinner, for example. There is enough room in the cabin to hold a small cocktail party, and you will have enough room on your verandah to hold a large cocktail party, because the Oosterdam's verandahs are much larger than the Noordam's. The Noordam left the Fincantieri shipyard for her maiden voyage with the smaller aft verandahs; you are confusing her with the Westerdam, I think, which did indeed have a recent retrofit to reconfigure the aft cabin verandahs.

Hope this horse's mouth has helped.;)

Welcome home middle-aged-mom. Will read everything when I get a chance.

Thanks Yonnie; I read on another thread about all your computer problems, and I hope you get your computer back in good working condition very soon. I know how tough that internet withdrawal can be! Hope to hear from you soon:)

Karin

Karen, thanks much for taking the time and effort to provide all this info. You have a writing style that is very easy to follow. Been reading all of Lisa's daily reports and glad to hear you had such a good time!! Fun talking to you on the phone, although short, and your Dutch is still excellent! Don't lose it, if you can!:)

You have me wondering about the Maitre d'Hotel aboard the Noordam - I wonder if it is my old friend Citra (pronounced Cheetra so it sounds as though it may be him). I was just thinking about him the other day and wondering where he might be. If it is indeed him then the promotion is well-deserved since Citra Pudja is a charming young man and totally dedicated to the comfort of "his" diners.

Val, Tjitradjaja Pudja is in fact the one and only Citra Pudja and the one you know. We saw him last on Ryndam in Mexico for New Year's 2003-2004

Karin and all; Thanks for the information on "solo" travel.

The "Yum Yum" cruise sounds so inviting. Unfortunately, due to the type of work that I do, February and March are not doable for vacationing! It's called "primacy" time. I work for a major non-profit agency and these months are used for raising the majority of our money! Although, cruising with all of you sounds like so much fun!

We'll be on the Oosterdam in April and I'm looking forward to that.....You guys; save some ship for me!!!

Oh yes, I meant to tell y'all that if anyone is staying in Noordam's cabin 5191, there is a partially used cocktail card in the bible in the drawer next to the bed. (It's in the drawer closest to the glass doors leading to the verandah.) The card is located in that racy li'l book known as the Song of Solomon, which I thought would be the best location for a cocktail card.;) Have a couple of Wang Wangs for me........

And Noordam's Pinnacle Grill chef Marcus Van Winden is the best looking Pinnacle Grill chef I've had the pleasure of cooking with;) He taught the cooking classes on the cruise, and boy, is he hot in the kitchen! The Pinnacle Grill manager, Peter Bohacs, is a cutie-pie, too. Being a suite passenger, I had breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill almost every day, just so I could feast my eyes......

Yes, I am a bad, bad middle-aged mom, and my husband should know better than to let me go by myself on a cruise.........;)

Oh yes, I meant to tell y'all that if anyone is staying in Noordam's cabin 5191, there is a partially used cocktail card in the bible in the drawer next to the bed. (It's in the drawer closest to the glass doors leading to the verandah.) The card is located in that racy li'l book known as the Song of Solomon, which I thought would be the best location for a cocktail card.;) Have a couple of Wang Wangs for me........

Hmmmm.....that's our cabin 12/1. I wonder if it will still be there. Knowing this group, I really doubt it. ;)

- Steve

Karin, Karin, Karin: Did we enjoy the "view" a little too much?

Hey, we're married, not dead!

What a great tradition; "Drink it Forward!" From now on I'll be looking in every Bible, in every room! ;)

Roz, you're a genius! I love it! Drink It Forward! Leave your partially used cocktail, wine, or soda cards in the cabin bible for the next CC'ers:)

(The cutest man in the whole world to me is still the man I married twenty years ago:) Too bad he doesn't like to cruise, because he looks so good in a tux!)

Karin

This post is for RuthC:

Ruth, one of the nice ladies on our roll-call did go to the Piano Bar with a friend for a sing-along one night with Allan Sitar, the piano man. She said they had a great time; there were only about 10-15 people, but they were all having so much fun that Allan extended the sing-along time for them. She said it was hard to remember his piano playing over all the off-key singing;) , but they really enjoyed themselves.....So I guess that's a thumbs up for you there.......

Karin

Archived