Carnival's SUPER Salty Lobster

eponym

We have sailed Carnival 4 times in the past year. We just got off of the Paradise 3 night today. We had an overall excellent weekend.

I want to preface this by saying that we are not extraordinarily picky eaters but do notice when something is WAY OFF. The Formal Night Lobster served on the last 3 Carnival cruises we have taken (all from the West coast) have been ridiculously SALTY--so much so that they are basically not edible. It's like they are packing the tails in salt for additional preservation or cookling them is hoards of salt. Either way it's absolutely horrific.

Our waiter indicated that it has been a growing problem on the Paradise.

So, I am wondering. What has everyones Carnival Lobster experiences been in the past year--please report your ship and the departure point?

I hope they get around to fixing the problem. In the meantime, the shrimp they serve with the lobster has been very good.

Just off the Miracle a couple weeks ago and the lobster tail in the supper club was extremely salty that I couldn't even eat it. If I wasn't so full, I would have sent it back and got another one but I barely could eat what was on my plate. I found the regular lobster tail in the dining room to be much less salty.

Sailed Valor in 11/06 and again in 4/07 and sailed Legend in 1/07. Have to say we didn't have salty tasting lobster on any of those sailings and I'm one that can't eat salty meat. In fact, I'd say the lobster we had on the 4/07 Valor and the Legend 1/07 cruises was among some of the best lobster meals we've eaten in the main dining rooms in the many cruises we've taken over several of the cruiselines.

Dianne

I would say that like a lot of things, this will be subjective. I am sure that carnival may have different suppliers in different ports, thats why experiences may be so different.

I thought I liked my food salty until I bought a frozen boston market dinner recently ( I usually don't eat pre-made food, I like to cook from scratch) it seemed really salty to me, to the point that I didn't finish it, but I guess many like it that way or they would go out of business.

MAC

We have sailed Carnival 4 times in the past year. We just got off of the Paradise 3 night today. We had an overall excellent weekend.

I want to preface this by saying that we are not extraordinarily picky eaters but do notice when something is WAY OFF. The Formal Night Lobster served on the last 3 Carnival cruises we have taken (all from the West coast) have been ridiculously SALTY--so much so that they are basically not edible. It's like they are packing the tails in salt for additional preservation or cookling them is hoards of salt. Either way it's absolutely horrific.

So, I am wondering. What has everyones Carnival Lobster experiences been in the past year--please report your ship and the departure point?

I hope they get around to fixing the problem. In the meantime, the shrimp they serve with the lobster has been very good.

Christmas cruise on the Glory out of Port Canaveral ........... YUK!!!! Sent it back twice, 1st- Overcooked to rubber 2nd- raw as sushi. Get's me wondering what they're doing in that kitchen

We were on the Triumph and all of the lobster at our table was so tough we had a hard time even cutting it with a knife. It states on the menu that it's prepared by broiling it (mostly when I've had it, I believe it boiled) and I think that may be part of the rubbery/tough dilemma.

We were on the Triumph and all of the lobster at our table was so tough we had a hard time even cutting it with a knife. It states on the menu that it's prepared by broiling it (mostly when I've had it, I believe it boiled) and I think that may be part of the rubbery/tough dilemma.

Boiled/Steamed whole lobster but Grilled/Broiled lobster tail is the rule of thumb

Hmm. After many cruises on Carnival (including the Paradise), and at least two lobster tails on each cruise, I've never had to send one back. I really don't like salty food, and have never thought they were salty at all, much less "too".:D

Cotton, you know good and well that you and I about to totally jinx ourselves. . . but I gotta agree completely. I've had perfect luck with the lobsters served to me on every cruise (numerous), and I hope that pattern will continue for a long time.

I'm not a fan of adding salt to foods so I don't even keep any on the table in my home - just in the cabinet for those rare recipes. So I think it would be an obvious thing to me if it came served with that extreme, or either my taste buds are dead.

Have had some lobster tails on cruiselines other than Carnival that were tough. Have never sent one back yet, mainly because we understand that the lobster tails served on the mainline cruise ships are of the frozen varity.

Meaning that they weren't caught fresh in nets trolling from the aft of the ship and that the quality of the product we receive hinges on the quality of the lobster purchased and the expertise of the chef in the galley who is responsible for cooking that product and getting out to our table.

Some lobsters have arrived at our plate over cooked and rubbery. Some have arrived with no flavor and more have arrived deeee-licious.

Yet during all my seafood eating years I've yet to see a cooked lobster I would refuse completely.:D

Dianne

glory in november, lobster tails actually pretty good for cruiseship lobster. tender, not overcooked and not salty. I had 1 my son and husband had 2 each.

miracle in may, lobster tails not salty but definitely overcooked so I didn't eat anything but a bite of it. my husband said his was fine :)

Cotton, you know good and well that you and I about to totally jinx ourselves. . . but I gotta agree completely. I've had perfect luck with the lobsters served to me on every cruise (numerous), and I hope that pattern will continue for a long time.

I'm not a fan of adding salt to foods so I don't even keep any on the table in my home - just in the cabinet for those rare recipes. So I think it would be an obvious thing to me if it came served with that extreme, or either my taste buds are dead.

I think if my lobster is tough on the Carnival in September, I will just order something else. I know how hard it isfor me to get dishes prepared for 200 people at church. I can't believe they get it right all the times they do. Maybe when they see people reordering something else and not eating the lobster they will figure out a different way to prepare it. I am thinking it will be perfect. Trying to be the optimist.

Linda

Have had some lobster tails on cruiselines other than Carnival that were tough. Have never sent one back yet, mainly because we understand that the lobster tails served on the mainline cruise ships are of the frozen varity.

Meaning that they weren't caught fresh in nets trolling from the aft of the ship and that the quality of the product we receive hinges on the quality of the lobster purchased and the expertise of the chef in the galley who is responsible for cooking that product and getting out to our table.

Some lobsters have arrived at our plate over cooked and rubbery. Some have arrived with no flavor and more have arrived deeee-licious.

Yet during all my seafood eating years I've yet to see a cooked lobster I would refuse completely.:D

Dianne

Living in the midwest, most of the seafood we get are at chain restaurants and I'm pretty sure they aren't flown in fresh, but are frozen as well (when I say "chains", I'm talking Outback Steakhouse, nothing even remotely "upscale", LOL). I am a lover of seafood, but I'm seriously not exaggerating when I tell you out of 6 of us, we honestly gave up halfway through.

Living in the midwest, most of the seafood we get are at chain restaurants and I'm pretty sure they aren't flown in fresh, but are frozen as well (when I say "chains", I'm talking Outback Steakhouse, nothing even remotely "upscale", LOL). I am a lover of seafood, but I'm seriously not exaggerating when I tell you out of 6 of us, we honestly gave up halfway through.

Raised on a beef and poultry farm here in Central Ohio, I know good beef and poultry dishes when I see and taste them. If I'm served a tough piece of beef or a less than tasty poultry dish on a cruise ship I don't hesitate to ask the waiter for another entree.

Have no doubts the 6 of you found the lobster tough. I'm just saying in the cruises we've taken we've yet to be served a lobster we couldn't eat. Doesn't mean we have never asked the waiter for another entree because we found the lobster less than expected.

Dianne

On the Paradise we had to send 3 of our lobsters back. Got new ones and they were great. On Liberty awesome the first time however that was in europe where things area done to a higher level.

I had three lobster tails (they brought one for my fiance that he did not order and I had already ordered 2 so we could not waste it!) on the Triumph in September and they were yum yum yummy! :p The two lobster tails I had on the Valor in May were also yummy. I would not describe them as salty.

On the Paradise we had to send 3 of our lobsters back. Got new ones and they were great. On Liberty awesome the first time however that was in europe where things area done to a higher level.

my nephew said America is really bad about advertising something one way and giving another. In Japan he said they have a picture on the menu or in the window and that is EXACTLY how you get it. He said his wife (Japanese) was amazed that restaurants get away with the misrepresentation.

Too bad they don't bring it to your table looking like the commercial sometime.

Linda

I had three lobster tails (they brought one for my fiance that he did not order and I had already ordered 2 so we could not waste it!) on the Triumph in September and they were yum yum yummy! :p The two lobster tails I had on the Valor in May were also yummy. I would not describe them as salty.

Did you have any weather or high seas? I have had people remind me that we will be traveling in hurricane season.

Linda

The last time I had lobster in the diningroom it's was inedible. Cooked wrong and just didn,t taste right. Sent it back and was bought another....one taste and pushed it aside. Asked to have the prime rib brought instead.

I was looking at the menus for my next cruise and I will have something different.

"VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THE LOBSTER"......:mad:

I'm going with the "supreme on LI duck and try a piece of Lobster on the side.....

Archived