New York For A First Timer...

josephml1

I believe it. LOL. And most of the time he probably got it. The person who gave it to him probably took it as a tax write-off. All those fancy-schmancy events in the Hamptons -- tax write offs. Meanwhile, we search for the cheapest hotel and cruise rates like dogs. :D Those coming to NY will notice the very rich, and the very poor. The middle class is invisible.

The middle class isn't invisible, just blending in nicely with the poor. As a matter of fact, the public housing for welfare has much bigger apartments than those for the middle class. They also often come with parking spaces. Amazing they can affords cars. I live in a nice studio - one room with a separate kitchen but both my 20 pound dog and I can't fit in the kitchen together. I guess that's why I don't find the cabins on cruise ships so small. :D

Don't know what kind of info you want. You can go to www.Lincolncenter.com for some info.

Unlike Broadway shows, Lincoln Center attracts a more well heeled crowd and you won't find the ugly sneakers and jeans crowd. People tend to dress better, even more so if you're attending on a Friday or Sat evening.

Sometimes they offer dinner right in the building with app's and main courses before the curtain and dessert at intermission. That's a fun option, so you can inquire about that for your evening. You have to pre-book it.

There's also a casual, inexpensive cafe in the building if you just want a quick sandwich/salad before the opera.

Other dining spots across the street that I like are: Cafe Fiorello (italian), Josephina's (continentel), Shun Lee (upscale cantonese). You can dine before or after the opera.

Thanks, that info is going to be very usefull...

Another question you mention some restaurants near the Lincoln Center, but what about good one with prifix dinner menu near the Opera House?

Thanks.

I Need Another Advice About Driving From Philadelphia To Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. (i Am Going To Return The Car In Brooklyn Near The Port To Take My Cruise There)

I See Many Options In The Map, But I Don't Know Witch One Is Better And With Less Traffic.

Thanks Everyone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoneHPH viewpost.gif

omg...just call me and name_game the street team. next time i'm going rounds in manhattan i'll see about other hotels/inns.

you rock, name_game!

We should start our own business as a concierge for out of towners! :D

I agree...you two have been great! Thanks for taking the time to answer all our questions. :)

I Need Another Advice About Driving From Philadelphia To Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. (i Am Going To Return The Car In Brooklyn Near The Port To Take My Cruise There)

I See Many Options In The Map, But I Don't Know Witch One Is Better And With Less Traffic.

Thanks Everyone.

there are essentially two ways to go.

1. thru Staten Island to the BQE to the Hamilton Avenue exit.

2. Thru the Holland Tunnel to either the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel or the Brooklyn Bridge to the terminal.

Which is best---it depends on the traffic reports- the time of day may make a difference. My personal preference is thru the Holland Tunnel but others prefer the other way

Ok, NYC experts give me your opinion. Which one should we do? What is the distance between the two?

Depends on where you are. They are about 17 blocks apart (works out to about a mile). Empire State Building is at 5th Ave and 33rd St, Rockefeller Plaza is 49th-50th St between 5th and 6th Aves.

It also depends what else you want to see and do nearby. The Empire State Building is near Macys. Top of the Rock is near the Today Show set, NBC store, ice rink/tree in-season, Saks, and St. Patricks' Cathedral.

I still haven't been to Top of the Rock, it's on my list of things to do (might go this weekend as a matter of fact). For a first timer, I would say go to the Empire State Building... but either is a good bet!

Ok, I'll admit that I've been lurking around this thread for a while now and have decided to just take the plunge and jump in! My situation is a little bit different. I will be sailing on the Journey from Bayonne, NJ in a few weeks and plan on staying in Jersey City for two nights pre-cruise. The first night is really just that - we probably won't get there until dinner time and we'll be tired from the 5+ hour drive - but the next day is a free day and we already have tickets to see Mary Poppins. I checked out HopStop and know getting around can be done but I'll admit to being a chicken and totally clueless about the subway, PATH, etc... Do we need a pass for the subway or can we pay as we go? I read about a restaurant called Becco and was thinking about that before our show. Any input? I've been to NY before on bus trips just for shopping but that's it. I've been designated as our "tour guide" and I'm getting nervous! Since we really only have one day and have to be at the show in time for an 8:00 curtain, I know we can't do much sightseeing but I was hoping that we could do a little shopping. Are we anywhere near Top of the Rock? Sorry to ask so many questions but this whole NYC thing is stressing me out!

MTA Buses/Subway

- you can by a MetroCard for $10 (5 rides), $20 (10 rides), $40 (20 rides; and i think higher values). the nice thing is...you get a free fare for every $10. So $10 = $12 (6 rides); $20 = $24; etc... Bus/Subway Fare is $2. if you go from subway to bus (or vice versa) there is a free connection.

MTA HOMEPAGE: http://www.mta.info/index.html

PATH, you can pay per ride. probably no need to buy a multi-trip. but you will need to carry exact change $1.50

Empire State Building vs Top of the Roc(kefeller Building)

- my input on this matter would be to go to the Top of the Roc. it's nicer to have the ESB in the background of one of your photos. sure it's nice to say "i was on the top of the ESB". but the only other building really to see is the Chrysler Building. Top of the Roc you will have both in your photos.

- both locations have tourist traps and the like. so no need to worry on missing out on souvenirs and such. food is never a problem if you are just looking for something on to the go.

Do not be nervous about using the subway and path system. It is quite easy to navigate and if worse comes to worse, just ask somebody.

As for ESB or TOR, I have never been to the Top of The Rock yet but I have been to Rockefeller Center. You can shop around either place but if you have Macy's in mind then you should do the Empire State Building. If you don't care about Macy's then go to TOR.

I agree with Zone (of course) about food. You will have no problem finding a place to eat. Even if you have an 8:00 curtain call and want to be at a restaurant by 6:00, you have plenty of time to sightsee and shop. The one thing you might want to bring with you is this list of public bathrooms if you will be sightseeing. :D You can prove yourself to be the best tour guide this way.

PUBLIC RESTROOMS

New York does not have many public restrooms. The following is a list of public restrooms in New York City. Also department stores, hotels, and Barnes and Noble have restrooms available.

• Bryant Park. Located near the library on (42nd Street between 5th & 6th Avenues, when the park is open (usually closes at 8:00pm).
  • Grand Central. Located off 42nd Street between Park and Lexington Avenues. You can find the public restrooms downstairs near the food court.
  • Greeley Square. Located at 33rd Street and 6th Avenue. The charge is .50¢
  • Penn Station. Located on 31st Street between 7th and 8th Avenue.
  • Port Authority. Located on 41st Street and 8th Avenue.
  • Police Stations. Any police station will let you use their bathroom.
  • Hotel Lobbies.
  • Department Stores.
  • Coffee Houses.
  • Rockefeller Center.
  • Staten Island and Liberty/Ellis Island Ferries.
  • Castle Clinton in Historic Battery Park.
  • Prospect Park in Brooklyn
  • Thomkin s Square Park
  • Central Park at the following locations:
    • Between 73rd Street and 59th Street:
      • Central Park Zoo
      • Wollman Memorial Rink
      • Heckscher Playground
      • Adjacent to Tavern on the Green

[*] Between 74th and 84th Street

• Conservatory Boat House
      • Delacorte Theater
      • Ancient Playground

[*] Between 85th and 97th

• Tennis Courts
      • North Meadow Rec. Center

[*] Between 97th and 110th

• Conservatory Garden
      • Northside of the Harlem Meer
      • Robert Bendheim Playground
      • The Great Hill

My 'first timer' question has to do with going to a Broadway play... how dressed up do people get... ?

I like to do a dress casual thing so would that be okay?

Nowadays anything goes. Matinees are more casual. I rarely see people dressed up now, even for evening shows.

My 'first timer' question has to do with going to a Broadway play... how dressed up do people get... ?

I like to do a dress casual thing so would that be okay?

you will see people dressed up and people in jeans....anything goes.

I like to wear a sports coat myself....

Name Game,

Thank you so much for the public restroom info! We will probably be in the city for the day and bathroom breaks have been on my mind but I was a little shy about asking!

Zone,

Am I correct that if I buy the $20 metrocard ($24) we can share that among the four of us? That would mean a total of three rides each?

Thanks again for all the info! I'll keep an eye on this post and if I think of anything else, I won't wait so long to ask!

Kapeppy - let me try to answer your subway question for you. Yes, four people can share the $20 metrocard (12 rides) and get three rides each and a cost of $6 total. You can also all purchase an unlimited day pass for $7 each, it can not be swiped at the same station for 18 mintues. The regular $20 metrocard can be swiped again with no time limit because it will be charged for each swipe. If you think you will need more than three rides each then get the $7 unlimited day pass. Do NOT get the weekly unlimited pass for $24.

name Game ~ agreed very good info re the public restrooms. I have linked your post to our Explorer roll call thread..hope that is okay. I will print that off that post of yours and carry it with me for my 4 days pre cruise in New York.

:D:D

Can't enjoy the sights of New York is you have to go:p

OMG NameGame...you sound like that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry quizzes George on where he likes to go if he's caught needing bathroom facilities throughout the city!

Too funny!

I think the department store locations trump Penn Station or Port Authority any day. :p There are also those coin-operated portapotties throughout the city. I was never that desperate.

I'll admit to being a chicken and totally clueless about the subway, PATH, etc. This whole NYC thing is stressing me out!

I have to say I feel your pain!! I am stressing too! :eek: We have decided for certain on the TOR. We will be staying at the Hyatt in Jersey City which is right next to the PATH train. My next question for the experts -- We can take the Path Train to the Station at the World Trade Center or we can take a different Path Train to the 33rd Street Station. I know the 33rd Street Station is closer to the TOR but I realize that we will have to transfer to some other form of transportation from both of these locations. What would be our least time consuming option?:confused: Everyone keeps saying how visitor friendly New York City is -- please convince this country bumpkin before next Wednesday! ;)

There is also a public restroom in Trump Tower on 5th Ave (yes, the one you saw in The Apprentice). It's on the main level behind what was Tower Records (not sure what is there now, didn't all Tower Records locations close?)

Be careful with the hotel lobby option. Some hotels now require hotel keys to use the bathroom on the lobby level... I know the Grand Hyatt next to Grand Central does this. A cool trick is to go to the ballroom/meeting room level and use the bathrooms there!

Also keep in mind if you are ever in New York City on New Year's Eve, you basically can't use the bathroom anywhere unless you are buying something, and they check for hotel keys at the front door at the nicer places. And if you go to Times Square, you are stuck standing on one place packed in like sardines for about 7 hours! Did it once, glad I can say I did it, but I would never do it again!

I have to say I feel your pain!! I am stressing too! :eek: We have decided for certain on the TOR. We will be staying at the Hyatt in Jersey City which is right next to the PATH train. My next question for the experts -- We can take the Path Train to the Station at the World Trade Center or we can take a different Path Train to the 33rd Street Station. I know the 33rd Street Station is closer to the TOR but I realize that we will have to transfer to some other form of transportation from both of these locations. What would be our least time consuming option?:confused: Everyone keeps saying how visitor friendly New York City is -- please convince this country bumpkin before next Wednesday! ;)

It depends on what order you want to do them in but you can take the Path to the WTC then hop on the subway uptown. If you took the E to 50th you could just walk over to TOTR.

From one country bumpkin to another NYC is GREAT!!!! Everyone was so helpful to us Okie's last October when we were there. You'll have a great time!