Great Story on Dallas Fox News

It's not up on their website yet, but there was a 98 year old woman who was booked on the Rhapsody (first time out of the country) who couldn't go with her family because she didn't have a passport because she was born at home. The passport didn't come in time so they postponed the cruise. A congressman got involved and she received her passport and just got back from her cruise. They showed video and pics of her in Grand Cayman and Mexico and on the ship. She looked like she really enjoyed herself. I'll keep looking to see if they post a link on myfoxdfw.com, but nothing there yet.

It's not up on their website yet, but there was a 98 year old woman who was booked on the Rhapsody (first time out of the country) who couldn't go with her family because she didn't have a passport because she was born at home. The passport didn't come in time so they postponed the cruise. A congressman got involved and she received her passport and just got back from her cruise. They showed video and pics of her in Grand Cayman and Mexico and on the ship. She looked like she really enjoyed herself. I'll keep looking to see if they post a link on myfoxdfw.com, but nothing there yet.

error

Here is the video link to the story that was on last night. It has the whole story and she looks so happy sitting on the beach sleeping with her coca cola bottle with straw in it.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=E96C727F71312928EB813E1419DA015B?contentId=3595989&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

hope this works.

aww, that's awesome! My 86 year old great-grandmother just got back from the Mariner Sunday... her 3rd time on Mariner in the last year! She went on a total of 6 cruises last year alone!! Cruising is in my DNA! :p :)

Here is the video link to the story that was on last night. It has the whole story and she looks so happy sitting on the beach sleeping with her coca cola bottle with straw in it.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=E96C727F71312928EB813E1419DA015B?contentId=3595989&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

hope this works.

Awwwwwwwwww :). She was precious! Thanks for sharing.

Oh I saw this on the news at the time when she missed her first cruise because she couldnt get a passport. Actually I think what did it was a local news station on TV, one of those you write into got involved first and drew a lot of attention to her problem.

The congressman probably got involved later. Glad they found someone who could resolve this problem. They even showed the bathing suit she had bought and how she was so determined to swim at Cozumel. For some reason she really dreamed of going to Cozumel.

Personally, I dont think the Congressman would have ever gotten involved if the tv station had not made such a big deal of her story. It helps being on TV!!!

I recently went through something similar. We have always traveled with my dear mother in-law...11 cruises so far. Ida will be 95 years old when we leave for England in October for our transatlantic cruise on the JEWEL OF THE SEAS. She was born the same year the TITANIC sank...1912!!! Fortunately she was born in Boston. Even though she was born at home...in the North End...the doctor had to notify the city for a birth certificate...which we were able to find...thanks to superb record keeping in the city of Boston. We are now anxiously awaiting Ida's first passport. I told her it is only good for 10 years...so she will probably have to renew it.:D

Personally, I dont think the Congressman would have ever gotten involved if the tv station had not made such a big deal of her story. It helps being on TV!!!

Why do you say this (apologies for the possible hijack here)? I've seen a couple of snide remarks against congressmen on this board recently, but nothing to back it up. Just typical politician bashing. Having already hijacked this thread, I will go ahead and add my kudos to congressman Jo Bonner and his staff for getting my daughter's passport processed. Dealing with his office was a pleasant and successful experience.

Why do you say this (apologies for the possible hijack here)? I've seen a couple of snide remarks against congressmen on this board recently, but nothing to back it up. Just typical politician bashing. Having already hijacked this thread, I will go ahead and add my kudos to congressman Jo Bonner and his staff for getting my daughter's passport processed. Dealing with his office was a pleasant and successful experience.

I say it because I have been following the story from when it was first on our local TV news. snide remarks about congressmen??? No!!!!

If a congressman was involved at that time I believe it would have been mentioned. She was supposed to go months ago and had to cancel her cruise. It was on the news. The news told us they had tried every contact they could think of so far no one had been able to straighten this out....but that they were still hoping someone they contacted could fix it. (thats why I believe they meant that one they contacted was the congressman).

Thats why I said I believe the congressman was contacted by the tv station and got into it later. I live in Dallas and probably am more aware of what was said initially than you. Why would you turn this into a snide remark about congressmen because I said the congressman probably got involved with this particular lady because of the tv station limelight. Im all for whatever it takes.

Why are you defensive about the congressman?

How is me saying I believe the tv news station contacted the congressman who then was able to resolve this problem attacking a congressman?? let alone bashing him. I only said I think the previous tv news coverage helped build a fire under the situation and may have contributed. doesnt take away from the congressman who helped.

Glad you all enjoyed the story. It was very heart warming to me as I have a 90 year old Grandmother I would love to take on a cruise but she is too scared of the water. She says it just scares her too much and at that age, there's not changing her mind. As for the political comments, I enjoy listening to and participating in a good political debate but this isn't the forum to do it in.

At ninety eight, you should get a congressman involved and it should be on the news and I'm thrilled she got to go!

I absolutely agree! This was the sweetest story I've heard in a long time!

...snip...

How is me saying I believe the tv news station contacted the congressman who then was able to resolve this problem attacking a congressman?? let alone bashing him. I only said I think the previous tv news coverage helped build a fire under the situation and may have contributed. doesnt take away from the congressman who helped.

Actually, you said, "Personally, I dont think the Congressman would have ever gotten involved if the tv station had not made such a big deal of her story. It helps being on TV!!!". This is a little different than "...a fire under the situation and may have contributed..". Maybe snide is the wrong word, but...

All you have to do is ask the congressman to get involved and they will. That is my point. Apparently the TV station contacted him. Good for them and good for Congressman Hensarling for responding. Your comment sounded like the congressman should have been watching the TV and aware of the story. Clearly the tone/intent of your comment didn't come through in your post. Don't be so defensive.

I agree with the other posters, BTW. Great story and I am glad she got to go.

Not that Congresspersons can’t be glory hounds, but the representatives in central Ohio have been very active in helping people with passport problems. This made the news only after they had helped several dozens of people.

For now we will ignore the fact that they could have headed off the problem if they had been paying attention for the last year or so. Then the same can be said for most of the travelers as well.

Archived