NYC Embarkation Attire

crisp1

We will be boarding the QM2 this Monday for the 4 night holiday cruise. What type of attire can I expect to see the other passenger's wearing during embarkation? Very casual- shorts etc. or a bit more dressy? What would you wear this time of year? I would guess that the terminal is air conditioned, but outside it will most likely be rather hot and humid.

Thanks

It depends on what you want your embarkation photo to look like. ;)

Although QM2 is more formal than many other ships in the evenings (except, possibly for these short cruises), daytime wear is casual. Nice shorts (as opposed to running shorts or something like that) would be fine for embarkation, but it might be a good idea to wear something you can go to dinner in (slacks/skirt), and put shorts in your carry-on. Then, as soon as you get to your cabin, you can change into the shorts. That way you won't have to worry about getting your luggage and unpacking in time to dress for dinner.

Agreed, while Cunard is more formal during the evenings, it's pretty much like any other cruise line during the day. And, if you're not sure, just be more conservative with your outfits. Instead of short-shorts, pack Bermuda shorts.

You'll be fine. QM2 is a wonderful ship! It's too bad you're taking such a short voyage!

:) You just watch: if you make the slightest effort to "dress up" (yeah, a nice outfit indicating what you're going to do would make for a nice photo), you will think you are among the better-dressed of the load.

I'll wager most boarding will look as if you've run into them downtown, wherever their downtown is. Really. :)

I recently had this same problem and set out a pair of smart trousers, top and shoes to wear for embarkation but after a whistle-stop weekend of sightseeing in New York I found my feet wouldn't go into my 'nice' shoes so I decided to stick to the casual outfit, complete with trainers. No problem, there was a mix of all kinds of dress in the terminal and my suitcase was delivered to my stateroom barely 30 minutes after me so I had plently of time to get organised for the first evening.....My suggestion would be wear what you're comfortable in but put a change of clothes in your carry-on, just in case....

I agree with 3GC. Dress "smart" unless you plan on ducking the photographer.

I am in CT, (above New Yrok) and it is wicked hot and humid today and for the next several. However, a cool front (okay cold front) is coming through Friday, temps daytime down to the 70's maybe,. NYC is a it further south, bit also on the river tends to ameliorate the heat somewhat. Temps will probably start rising again after the weekend. Maybe nice linen slacks, comfortable shoes (flats, though tennis shoes would not look out of place) If you get there are the wrong time, you could be standing a while on a concrete floor!

I tend to dress nicely, though not too fussy,Standing around with a crryon bag hanging over your shoulder and dragging stuff along, holding your tickets, passport, ID, Charge card-Comfortable but nice, is the key.

You do want to make a good first impression. Like someone else said, our can change to shorts...shortly. Take a pair in carry-on! I like to dress nautical!

Our January Panama trip, I wore a Hawaiian Print shirt with a lighthouse theme.

Most of all, have fun! (BTW, Scrub shirts can be great for travel. I get the ones with three front pockets. Places for everything!)

Karie,

who wears scrubs to work most days...for the pockets. and no I am not in the medical field! I am a cellular switch (mobile phones) technician!

For NYC in summer dress cool (like the temperature cool, not the style cool).

Loose clothes, lots of pockets (for tissues, towelettes, tickets, cameras, ...). And skip the embarkation photo, you can take your own for free once you are aboard.

Bon voyage,

Paul

For a summer cruise, a nice pair of linen slacks, open collared shirt and blue blazer. Tassled loafers. In the winter I wear a tie and don the overcoat and felt hat and leather gloves. After all this is Cunard you are sailing on not the Hudson River Ferry. Although if you live in Jersey and work in Manhattan you are probably in suit and tie for the ferry so not a good analogy.

Dress better than the crowd and you will get better attention and service. Guaranteed!

If you doubt this last statement pretend that you are a porter and all other things being equal who will you pick first to assist? the person in sweats or the guy dressed as described above? Works time after time for me.

Just did the QE2 full (and last) world cruise. Be comfortable for embarkation. All the discussion about how to dress for embarkation and afterwards is much ado about nothing and raises too much anxiety. Jeans are OK during the day. Ship's paparazzi shoot from the waist up anyway.

Happy sailing.

And skip the embarkation photo, you can take your own for free once you are aboard.

Good luck skipping the photos, sometimes the photogs can be relentless. (Of course, you don't have to buy the picture) It took me years to get my husband to stop grumbling about the embarkation photo ("Why do we have to stop for a $%^&* picture??") and just smile and get it over with. I think in 30+ cruises on a variety of lines, we've bought only one--on QE2, of course!

Archived