Dog sledding in Juneau or Skagway?

Mags65

Budget Queen. About the cancellations. Do they cancell in July too. We will be there the end of July. Hoping this is an early in the season thing, not later too. We would be so disappointed but safety is important. After all our excursions being cancelled last year on our Caribean cruise due to hurricane Earl, I just don't want to get my hopes up. thanks for all the good tips.

Everything depends on the weather. Late July the risk is that the whole excursion is shut down as it gets warmer they have to move the camps till the point that there is no snow on which the dogs can run.

It is often canceled and the week we were there they told us the week before was horrible. So no ability to predict from week to week or season to season IMHO. Plan and plan a backup is what I'd recommend.

Safety is priority 1, and than how warm and how much snow you have from the winter effects when the season ends.

Budget Queen. About the cancellations. Do they cancell in July too. We will be there the end of July. Hoping this is an early in the season thing, not later too. We would be so disappointed but safety is important. After all our excursions being cancelled last year on our Caribean cruise due to hurricane Earl, I just don't want to get my hopes up. thanks for all the good tips.
Edited by chipmaster

This is the most canceled Alaska tour, ALL SEASON.

Everything depends on the weather. Late July the risk is that the whole excursion is shut down as it gets warmer they have to move the camps till the point that there is no snow on which the dogs can run.

It is often canceled and the week we were there they told us the week before was horrible. So no ability to predict from week to week or season to season IMHO. Plan and plan a backup is what I'd recommend.

Safety is priority 1, and than how warm and how much snow you have from the winter effects when the season ends.

It isn't even, always a week to week, "thing", it is that day, most of the time.

Well since you mention it could be 8am tour canceled, 9pm beautiful, 10am canceled again, of course its the weather changes by the minute actually :D

We agree be prepared for the worst and cancellation or cold/wet but hope for the best :D We were for the better, luck!

It isn't even, always a week to week, "thing", it is that day, most of the time.

1575177156_650Viewpoint.jpg.b76242d3dd0b52eae535e867b86abb32.jpg

2071204417_675DogSledding.jpg.b697f4514795d80e85dc35b071e029aa.jpg

Edited by chipmaster

• 1 year later...

We are cruising in September and want to do the dog sled tour. Can we wait until we get there or should we book now? We would really like to do it as something different. We are going to Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan.

• 2 years later...

We will be cruising in June of 2015 and want to do the glacier dog sled tour. Which company do you recommend? I understand that it is often cancelled so if we can't go in Juneau what are the chances of going in Skagway? Do they use the same dog camp?