Question about carry-on luggage

Salidagirl

Thanks for the quick reply!

Good idea, I will. I like Rick Steves, I didn't think to check there. We used his ideas for our Med cruise last month.

I'm not good on wearing something more than once, DH is but it will be a challenge for me. I know I can do it.

I agree about needing room for the stuff I buy. I have tons of items on what to shop for, naturally:rolleyes: .

Thanks again,

Peggy

I KNOW it's hard but.......We've traveled river cruise 2 weeks and 3 xtra days both ends, and also Germany/Ireland 3 weeks, and Italy bus tour 2 weeks with just a wheeled carry on each, plus my back pack, and DH camera gear. Since we needed no "formal" clothes, and it was always temperate weather, it was doable. We each took a pair of leather sandals and another good pair of walking shoes, leather, what-have-you. I admit to being the "laundry lady" carrying a shampoo bottle of liquid laundry detergent and washing up almost daily, at least every other day. We did NOT bring blue jeans, they just don't dry out quickly enough, but had quick drying shorts, 3 each, and I have absolutely fallen in love with seersucker or that nice crinkly cotton and polyester for me, for collered shirts. We each had a waterproof windbreaker and a fleece zippered cover up/sweatshirt. Layers are good. My undies dry fast, and we invested in Travelsmith briefs for DH, they too dry like crazy. NO ONE ever commented on seeing us in same (although laundered by moi) garments. I had slacks and capris in that jersey nylon fabric, Chico's stuff, and a jacket to match. Great for travel! Put all your stuff out, and ruthlessly leave half at HOME. You'll feel like the Queen of Sheba when you have plenty of space to pack up your newest foreign purchases. We also toted swimsuits, sleep wear, all the meds and cosmetics, blah blah, keeping meds and always a change of clothes in the backpack. And of course an unread paperback for me and the yahtzee, blackjack game, and Soduko puzzle book for DH--no reader he. Our dear friend, a widower, went on the river cruise with us, and he too laundered his Tilley garments, expensive but always quick drying and spiffy looking. He had 2 pair of the zip off slacks/shorts combos and they are ever so handy. DH has none of those, so he wore his dress/all occasion slacks on flights and used them for all dining. But it was OK to even go to dinner on the river cruise in a nice shirt and shorts, so everything was copacetic. Yes, I had to block out a quarter hour daily to launder stuff, and it's boring, but less is more. Once you do it, you'll why in the world you were packing and unpacking all that STUFF all the time in those big suitcases. I do admit some mild pangs of jealousy regarding several of the gorgeous wardrobes sported by some of the wealthier ladies on the trip, but those feelings were fast and fleeting. They were also those darling size 4 women--perhaps those smaller people with their smaller clothes can pack more! Hope this helps.

I KNOW it's hard but.......We've traveled river cruise 2 weeks and 3 xtra days both ends, and also Germany/Ireland 3 weeks, and Italy bus tour 2 weeks with just a wheeled carry on each, plus my back pack, and DH camera gear. Since we needed no "formal" clothes, and it was always temperate weather, it was doable. We each took a pair of leather sandals and another good pair of walking shoes, leather, what-have-you. I admit to being the "laundry lady" carrying a shampoo bottle of liquid laundry detergent and washing up almost daily, at least every other day. We did NOT bring blue jeans, they just don't dry out quickly enough, but had quick drying shorts, 3 each, and I have absolutely fallen in love with seersucker or that nice crinkly cotton and polyester for me, for collered shirts. We each had a waterproof windbreaker and a fleece zippered cover up/sweatshirt. Layers are good. My undies dry fast, and we invested in Travelsmith briefs for DH, they too dry like crazy. NO ONE ever commented on seeing us in same (although laundered by moi) garments. I had slacks and capris in that jersey nylon fabric, Chico's stuff, and a jacket to match. Great for travel! Put all your stuff out, and ruthlessly leave half at HOME. You'll feel like the Queen of Sheba when you have plenty of space to pack up your newest foreign purchases. We also toted swimsuits, sleep wear, all the meds and cosmetics, blah blah, keeping meds and always a change of clothes in the backpack. And of course an unread paperback for me and the yahtzee, blackjack game, and Soduko puzzle book for DH--no reader he. Our dear friend, a widower, went on the river cruise with us, and he too laundered his Tilley garments, expensive but always quick drying and spiffy looking. He had 2 pair of the zip off slacks/shorts combos and they are ever so handy. DH has none of those, so he wore his dress/all occasion slacks on flights and used them for all dining. But it was OK to even go to dinner on the river cruise in a nice shirt and shorts, so everything was copacetic. Yes, I had to block out a quarter hour daily to launder stuff, and it's boring, but less is more. Once you do it, you'll why in the world you were packing and unpacking all that STUFF all the time in those big suitcases. I do admit some mild pangs of jealousy regarding several of the gorgeous wardrobes sported by some of the wealthier ladies on the trip, but those feelings were fast and fleeting. They were also those darling size 4 women--perhaps those smaller people with their smaller clothes can pack more! Hope this helps.

Oh my, thank you so much for sharing this valuable information.

I already know I always pack way too much clothes. How big was your wheeled bag?

I may have to invest in a few pairs of zip off pants/shorts. DH has a pair but I need to get a pair. I thought I had a pair but I only have a pair of cargo pants that are of the same material, so I will take them since they will dry fast.

I'm short and not a size 4 but I would feel funny about other ladies looking more dapper than me. Not that I look all that great myself:o .

It will be tough but I have to do it. My poor DH feels like a pack mule at times but he doesn't really complain. I should pack lighter, if only for him.

I'll keep you posted on my progress when the time comes.

Thanks again!

Peggy

Further to gogogramma's comments: My wife and I were on Uniworld's "16 day" (actually, 14 days on the river, plus travel days on each end) Budapest - Amsterdam cruise in November, 2006 (which means we had to bring the winter-weight clothing), plus three additional post-cruise days on our own in the Netherlands. We each had a carry-on size suitcase (wheeled), and shared ONE 26" wheeled suitcase (checked) - three suitcases all told.

I brought three Tilley long-sleeved shirts, two pairs of Tilley pants, three pairs of Tilley boxers, three pairs of Tilley socks, one pair of low, light hikers ("trail shoes") for walking off-boat, one pair of Rockport leather shoes, a fleece vest, a fleece jacket, a Gore-Tex rain parka, a Tilley hat, a tie, and a Tilley navy blue Travel Blazer. I brought a pair of gloves and a toque (Canadian for a wool watch-cap type of hat), but never needed them. My shaving kit, something to sleep in, and slippers. That's about it.

Most of my stuff fit into my carry-on. The "big" suitcase took my blazer, Rockport shoes, gloves, toque, binoculars, chargers for our camera and flash batteries, etc.

Just as gogogramma described, a quick laundry washup (I used the ship's dryer) every few days kept us presentable. None of our cruisemates seemed to notice or mind that we didn't have a "new" outfit every day - that would have been totally wasted off-boat, and onboard, it doesn't matter anyway.

Just want to lend a word of encouragement - it IS feasible to pack "lighter", if not entirely "light", for these river cruises.

Oh my yes, those Tilley garments are to die for. Tried to talk DH into some purchases of same, but we both came from thrifty childhoods and he balked at spending the moolah.

Our wheeled bags are smallish, one is definitely a legal carry on and the other has certainly BEEN carried on, but we check them through when traveling with companions, especially those who are toting those 50 # monsters. Traveling in colder weather makes for more clothes, more layers for sure. We did go round and round about the limit on the tiny sized carry ons, and they do have their reasons if you must take part of your trip on a bus. But it seems most tour directors are ever so lenient, and the rules are perhaps just hoped and wished-for guidelines, since there's always those who cannot, will not abide by the rules.

But I have NEVER, but never, seen anyone, even the most flagrant flouters of all the rules, have to do anything more than check a bag that was too big for airplane carryon (you know who I mean) or have to rearrange luggage at the airport check in when they show up with those 60+ pound suitcases, where the ever-patient employees let them try to shuffle stuff around between the OTHER big suitcase to get the weight closer to the limit.

There have been instances, few and far between, when ONE carry on meant ONE, and the purse had to get stuffed into the carry on. I have a very nice light, big back pack, and use it as my carry on, especially for overseas trips where you're checking stuff through anyway. It holds a ton, and even if packed full is OK to carry on the back. On domestic flights we just cram everything into the carry ons and wheel them on the plane with us.

Just two pair of shoes is a stretch for most ladies I suspect, but my good black leather sandals have gone from the best restaurants to Pompeii. I wished for slip on sandals on the river cruise Budapest-Amsterdam, but only because we sat on the sun deck a lot, it was warm and sunny and I'd never leave them at home on a warm weather ocean type cruise. Second pair is always good walking shoes--long excursions on rough surfaces demand them.

DH was forced to wear his blazer onto the plane with his one pair of slacks. I did have a tie and wash&wear short sleeved dress shirt for him just in case. These went along with his trusty brown leather Rockport shoes, his favorite walkers and good enough for dress. We did take one little fold up umbrella; my windbreaker is absolutely waterproof with a hood, and beats any umbrella any day--I might suffocate in it, it's not goretex, but I won't get wet. Leave many of those clothes at home and buy something pretty on your trip; you'll be glad to have that extra room in your suitcase.

This all sounds good, but no matter how much we travel......I will still have my fully packed suitcase, my large purse and my wheeled carry on(extra set of clothes in case the luggage doesn't show up for a while, reading material etc.), and so will my husband. Sometimes we have a third smaller bag for shoes and bulky things like shaving kits, makeup cases etc.....especially since you can't carry tubes and lotions onto the plane.

We like to be prepared for all kinds of weather, all kinds of ailments, and all kinds of emergencies...and we like to look clean and well dressed.

What's the big deal? We don't have to carry it around with us when we are on a cruise.

I probably sound like a broken record, but right now British Airways will only allow ONE piece of carryon per person traveling out of Heathrow to other places in Europe. This security line is for all seats in the plane. Check what you can and carry as litle as possible. Pat

I probably sound like a broken record, but right now British Airways will only allow ONE piece of carryon per person traveling out of Heathrow to other places in Europe. This security line is for all seats in the plane. Check what you can and carry as litle as possible. Pat

I looked far and wide for a small wheeled carry on that would hold more than my back pack. But no.....It held the most. It's squishy, so could fit for size. My purse indeed fit in it, if necessary. We were on Lufthansa/United and they didn't care.

The shampoo bottle of laundry detergent and sun block gets double bagged and put into checked luggage. Since we do travel a lot, we have toiletries in those tiny travel sizes and they go into the 1 qt zip lock and thence the carry on with the meds.

Just about every place you go will have shampoo, soap, hair dryers. BUT.....American curling irons want to fry up and die, even with a converter overseas. My most traveled girlfriend got over that problem by buying one in Europe that can handle it. She also has a gas curling iron for those "out of the way" places. I get a good short haircut and skip all those problems. I do admit not everyplace has a nice conditioner, but do carry tiny bottle of "glass" a finishing conditioner for me. All our cosmetics go into the checked luggage. They are replaceable. Meds and glasses/sunglasses stay with us; can't go without them.

I also confess to just one purse. Do take along tiny evening bag on cruises with dress up nights. And scrawny pair of slip on sandals that are packed inside DH dress shoes, but now that he has been on the country club casual, it's gonna be hard to sell him on going back to the dress up world. Probably never again...for him a tie is like a death sentence. And just for weddings and funerals.

Soooooo, give it a try. Leave half at home. Have basic slacks/jacket with mix and match. Watch those shoes, 2, at most 3 pairs. It will fit. Make sure your purse can be stuffed into whatever carry on you take, or you could be in big trouble. WEAR some sort of bulky item (sweater or jacket with pockets that have books/games in them) that will get screened and put back on for walk in the airport and onto the plane. Once you get used to not having it ALL with you, you'll wonder how you ever traveled any other way!

Gogogramma,

You are sooooo right, the less you bring, the better it is. I have a friend who is a weaver--she says if you use it to wash your hair, it safe for any garment. So I don't even bring liquid detergent anymore. I do bring a spot remover. My wheeled carry on is a wheeled packpack. It was a gift for working at a convention. They are squishy and on the way back from our last trip when we thought they (BA) would be weighing our bags that carryon held my shoes, our meds, jewelry, gifts that I didn't want to lose. Rick Steeves is right about packing light. No one that you meet is going to care if you wear the same outfit more than once. On our last trip we met a couple who will be travelling with us on a 16 day Oceania cruise in May---do we care that we've seen one anothers clothes---NO!!!! We take less each trip, even when there is a climate change. Pat

However, I tried the shampoo for detergent and KNOW all kinds of people who do that, but I personally feel that industrial strength detergent gets the spots and the dirt. I have a shelf in front that gets lotsa spots due to decrepitude and carelessness, and my attitude probably has something to do with fear of the great BO thing that is more common away from the States. All garments MUST pass the sniff test before wearing, and it just seemed to me they lasted longer (less washing, more re-wearing) with detergent. But nobody ever said a word about my semi-uniform look. It is apparent in our photos however, so many pictures with those same clothes. Good for a laugh.

However, I tried the shampoo for detergent and KNOW all kinds of people who do that, but I personally feel that industrial strength detergent gets the spots and the dirt. I have a shelf in front that gets lotsa spots due to decrepitude and carelessness, and my attitude probably has something to do with fear of the great BO thing that is more common away from the States. All garments MUST pass the sniff test before wearing, and it just seemed to me they lasted longer (less washing, more re-wearing) with detergent. But nobody ever said a word about my semi-uniform look. It is apparent in our photos however, so many pictures with those same clothes. Good for a laugh.

LOL!! my clothes have to pass the sniff test too.:o

HI Salidagirl, We sailed with you on the Tapestry July 8-15. I wanted to add one fact I haven't seen mentioned on this thread about luggage. IF YOU CHANGE PLANES AT HEATHROW you are only allowed ONE piece of carryone luggage - my wife tried to take a large purse and a very small additional bag and we had to check the small bag at Baltimore. Just something you should know.

Just read the last few posts and you guys crack me up....the sniff test...I've used it.

My tip on packing is to take clothes you are tired of or seldom wear, wear them a few times then leave them behind. This way there isplenty of room for purchases. I even buy marked downs with the intent of just taking them on one trip. Someone mentioned about seeing the same outfit in photos which does bother me. By using this method I elimate that problem.

Just read the last few posts and you guys crack me up....the sniff test...I've used it.

My tip on packing is to take clothes you are tired of or seldom wear, wear them a few times then leave them behind. This way there isplenty of room for purchases. I even buy marked downs with the intent of just taking them on one trip. Someone mentioned about seeing the same outfit in photos which does bother me. By using this method I elimate that problem.

There's an idea. I never thought of that. I like it! I have plenty of clothes I could do without or at least would be willing to give up in leiu of some shopping purchases, lol.

HI Salidagirl, We sailed with you on the Tapestry July 8-15. I wanted to add one fact I haven't seen mentioned on this thread about luggage. IF YOU CHANGE PLANES AT HEATHROW you are only allowed ONE piece of carryone luggage - my wife tried to take a large purse and a very small additional bag and we had to check the small bag at Baltimore. Just something you should know.

Ditto the one bag rule. We carried a purse & a camera bag as well but left room to squeeze them into the carry-on.

WIT

Just returned from our river cruise from Amsterdam last night. United is NOT enforcing the 1 bag carryon rule but Northwest is. I had to squeeze my purse into my carryon for my Northwest portion of my flight.Also the security people in Washington DC are the rudest people I have ever seen.:mad:

Archived