Question about carry-on luggage

Salidagirl

We're going on the Basal/Amsterdam cruise next month, and we're confused about why Avalon said our carry-on can only be 12" x 11" x 6", when the airlines allow a much larger carry-on. I've written to Avalon, but have not yet had a response.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Thanks.

I think it has more to do with the size you're comfortable carrying. They never measured our bags. I took a large purse (larger than their bag) as well as the bag they provided. No one yelled at me. My husband took the bag they gave him, as well as a back pack. It worked for us. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Even if you take one of the rolling ones, there should be room to store it under your bed along with your larger checked bags.

We also packed a duffel bag to put dirty clothes in for the trip home, so we could pack gifts and such.

What Avalon means is that in addition to your normal piece of luggage, whether it be a suitcase or standard carryon, you are allowed and additional small carryon bag. On your transfer, your normal luggage will be placed in the storage area of the bus, but your carryon must fit the overhead in the bus, which is much smaller than on a plane. Avalon provides a very nice carryon with the final documents.

I hope I have cleared this up for you.

Dennis

It is impossible to put a change of clothes (in case your bag is late) etc, etc, in that tiny bag that Globus sent.

Keep in mind that this small bag is like a purse or personal bag on the plane. You can still take your big carryon as well. This worked great for us on a 14 day Avalon cruise last year. Both of us took the big carry on, DW took a big purse, and I carried the Globus bag. In the past, when we did check through our suitcases, we were able to carry a change of clothing in the Globus bag.

We had the same question, so my DH called Avalon on two different days and asked about it. They said the page in the documents was left over from an old bus tour, and to disregard it. They specifically said that our 22" rolling carry-ons for the plane were perfectly fine to bring.

Salidagirl, looks like we board the day you get off the Tapestry. Wish we were on the same cruise. I haven't found anyone else here on it. Have a wonderful time!

Won't they put carry-ons with wheels under the bus with the luggage?

We only have to be transported from Budapest to the ship, and the ship to Prague.

It is not like they have to handle these pieces for a 2 week land tour ....in and out of hotels every day.

Has anyone ever taken a 3rd piece of luggage with them on an Avalon River Cruise?

Of course they will put wheeled carryons under the bus. However, they ask that you limit yourself to one piece of luggage that requires storage. Can you imagine if everyone had two or three pieces of luggage-there is so much room under the bus, and it is the same size bus they use on a two week land tour. Their terms and conditions are there for a reason. No one is special!

Having taken several land tours by coach with Globus I was very sure that the wording in the brochure was taken directly from their land tours book. Even on the land tours I have always taken a 16 in tote as my carryon and my large 29 in suitcase. The tote has alway been able to fit under the seat in front of me. I was also told by Globus because it is a river cruise and not a bus trip that they would accept anything the airlines does as a carryon.I never use the small bag they send out. It is so small that the only way it might be useful is as a port bag for camera,maps,water etc.I guess the only way a problem could come up is if the water levels don't allow the cruise to continue and then it would become a bus trip. I have never tried to use a wheeled carryon as I know there is no way that would even come close to fitting under the bus seat in front of me.:eek: I have never seen anyone measure a suitcase or give someone a difficult time about their luggage.Eveybody is making this much harder then it needs to be.

I have been on many land tours, including globus, and there was never a problem. On some they imposed a handling charge for an extra piece coming on and off every day, but never ran out of room.

I have been on many land tours, including globus, and there was never a problem. On some they imposed a handling charge for an extra piece coming on and off every day, but never ran out of room.

Exactly right.I also saw a few people that were charged an extra $1.00 USD per day to handle an extra piece of luggage.But that was it. There was never a big deal made about it.

I'm new at this river cruising. I haven't even booked one yet, I am still researching although I have narrowed to down to two choices. I hope to be booked today.

Anyway, my concern/question is; How do you all pack? I am used to cruising ocean liners(RCCL, HAL, Disney) and we pack 2 suitcases and two carry ons full each on a two week cruise. How do you manage to pack for Europe on a two week river cruise with one suitcase each?

I mean; How do you do it? Especially when the weather for Europe may be a lot cooler than a Caribbean cruise. Heavier clothes and such.

I need some pointers, I am an notorious overpacker and I need help here.:o

Any info really would be greatly appreicated.

Peggy

For ChefPeg: Go to http://www.ricksteves.com and enter packing in the search box for tips on how to pack light. River cruising is informal. Items can be worn more than once You do not need a change of clothes for every day of your trip. Bring clothes that you can mix and match to reduce the number of outfits but can still create variety. There's an old saying: pack what you think you'll need, then take half. Also, remember to save room in your suitcase for items you may purchase on our trip.;)

For ChefPeg: Go to http://www.ricksteves.com and enter packing in the search box for tips on how to pack light. River cruising is informal. Items can be worn more than once You do not need a change of clothes for every day of your trip. Bring clothes that you can mix and match to reduce the number of outfits but can still create variety. There's an old saying: pack what you think you'll need, then take half. Also, remember to save room in your suitcase for items you may purchase on our trip.;)

Thanks for the quick reply!

Good idea, I will. I like Rick Steves, I didn't think to check there. We used his ideas for our Med cruise last month.

I'm not good on wearing something more than once, DH is but it will be a challenge for me. I know I can do it.

I agree about needing room for the stuff I buy. I have tons of items on what to shop for, naturally:rolleyes: .

Thanks again,

Peggy

Easier said than done. No matter how many cruises and trips I have taken, I never can pack light. I always have to be prepared for anything and everything.

Last year when we were leaving for a cruise around the British Isles, the ten day forecast showed drizzle, clouds and temperature highs around 70. There was no rain, and it was in the high 80's everyday.

It is much easier packing as a man than a woman. A pair of dockers goes anywhere.

When we took our Brandon cruise (Amadagio, Budapest to Amsterdam) last fall, our instruction papers said one suitcase apiece and one carry on bag. But we were booked on United and Lufthansa, and they both allowed two checked bags apiece. I contacted Brandon, and a nice lady told me to ignore the one bag limit, that they would certainly handle for free as many bags as the airlines would allow us to have. We took three suitcases and a good size carry on apiece. Plenty of room.

We had no problems at all with baggage both coming and going and at transfers. Whatever we had, they would take care of it.

When we took our Brandon cruise (Amadagio, Budapest to Amsterdam) last fall, our instruction papers said one suitcase apiece and one carry on bag. But we were booked on United and Lufthansa, and they both allowed two checked bags apiece. I contacted Brandon, and a nice lady told me to ignore the one bag limit, that they would certainly handle for free as many bags as the airlines would allow us to have. We took three suitcases and a good size carry on apiece. Plenty of room.

We had no problems at all with baggage both coming and going and at transfers. Whatever we had, they would take care of it.

Ahhh, good to know. I may call and see if I can get the same answer.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Peggy

Hi again,

I noticed that most of you received a bag/tote from your cruise line. What size is it?

For those who have cruised with tauck; Do they provide you with a bag/tote? I am curious about what size bag to take. My carry on is large so I am concerned. Should I pruchase a smaller one or will they provide my with one?

Thanks for all the information!!

Peggy

Personally, I opt for a wheeled carry on and usually leave whatever the cruise company provides at home. The only places the wheeled carryon doesn't fit is on the regional jets. I carry a small id carrier and no purse. My purse folds flat in my checked baggage. This was wonderful changing planes at Heathrow. BA only allowed ONE piece of carryon per person. Also don't like standing out in airport crowds as part of a tour. But that is just me. Pat

Personally, I opt for a wheeled carry on and usually leave whatever the cruise company provides at home. The only places the wheeled carryon doesn't fit is on the regional jets. I carry a small id carrier and no purse. My purse folds flat in my checked baggage. This was wonderful changing planes at Heathrow. BA only allowed ONE piece of carryon per person. Also don't like standing out in airport crowds as part of a tour. But that is just me. Pat

Good info! Thanks!

We stuck to the one-suitcase recommendation this past May. Generally, I am a heavy packer. However, this trip, I managed to pack all I'd need in one suitcase. Travel Space Saver Bags helped. I washed some clothes out in the sink, and others I just sucked it up and wore them more than once. Convertible (shorts to pants/vice versa) hiking pants are great for the tours! We even brought jackets for cooler weather on the trip without a problem.

You really can do it! You only need one slightly dressy outfit for the Captain's dinner, so you won't have to have several cocktail dresses for the trip.

You really can do it! You only need one slightly dressy outfit for the Captain's dinner, so you won't have to have several cocktail dresses for the trip.

If you say so, I'm not so sure I can do that:o . I always over pack. i can't help it. This is going to be tough for me. Fortunately it will be hot in August so the clothes should be lighter in weight.

Peggy

Archived