Do you feel swaying after cruise?

It has lasted for up to five days for me.

I wear the scopolomine patch and now leave it on for about 3 days after the cruise. That helps a lot. I have friends who wind up taking bonine/meclizine if it is bad. It's just the inner ear getting adjusted to land.

She shouldn't worry -- I had it for nearly two weeks (!!) after a trans-Atlantic crossing. It'll dissipate gradually. (By the way, I also thought there was something wrong with my taste buds -- food on land tasted so bland and boring. My beloved one pointed out that that was because our home cooking didn't approach the culinary excellence of the chefs aboard the QE2...)

I had it for a couple of weeks after my first cruise, did not have it so much on the ship and it took a day or 2 for it to kick in once we were back. It finally went away. This time I will continue to to take Bonine even after we are back for a while, thanks to the advice of this board ;)

Maybe she could try taking one at night....?

I have vertigo and the swaying sensation 2 years ago on our first NCL Dawn cruise lasted about 6 weeks :eek: BUT, I found that the more sleep I got ON the cruise, the shorter that time period was. The first 2 days after returning, I had to hold onto the wall while walking down the hallway! We just got back from our second cruise on the Dawn this past Saturday. And, the swaying feeling now only hits me in the shower when my eyes are closed. I made a conscious effort to get more sleep this time than last time. And, it's not nearly as bad as it was. Funny thing, though. 2 years ago, as soon as we booked our next cruise, it went away!!! Hmmmm......

The swaying sensation is a normal after a cruise. This is to do with the balance apparatus, the 3 semi-circular canals in the inner ears. As we cruise, some people get sea sickness as the balance apparatus becomes stimulated by the movements, and it can take a few days for them to become desensitized, and the sickness will disappear. The same happens when we disembark, the balance apparatus now is used to the sea movements, and will generate swaying sensation on land. This will take several days to disappear.

I think the duration of this swaying sensation partly depends on the individual's sensitivity of the balance apparatus, and partly depends on how rough the sea has been.

A co-worker is still feeling unsteady several days after her cruise. I know I have had a swaying sensation for a day or two. How long should this last - she is getting worried.

I never have it. Guess some folks could, but none of my cruising associates have mentioned experiencing it.

It might also be more prevelant if the cruise was very rough.

I grew up sailing (I mean really sailing, not cruising) and you definitely get sea legs after that but it only ever lasted a day or two. So I got worried too when it lasted for about a month after my second cruise - which was dead flat calm the whole time. I read up about it at the time and seem to remember that I read long term effects appear most commonly in women in their 40s and 50s.

I have it usually for a couple of days.

After one cruise with particularly rough seas, I had it for four weeks.

I have this sensation after a long car ride (more than 10 hours) too.

But I have read a story about a woman who got it after a cruise and it did not cease for years... (such cases are very seldom).

The medical term is Mal De Debarquement. It's not serious and is somehow related to the inner ear and balance. Many people find relief from taking sinus medication. I've experienced it after 2 of my 3 previous cruises. I also find the most intense affects of it while laying down and while in the shower. I don't remember it lasting more that 10 days or so.

Personally, I never took the sinus meds for it, stuff makes me goofy:p. Hope this helps!

Happy Swaying, I mean Sailing!!!

Romy

After my first cruise, there was no problem. However, On our last cruise we had really rough seas for the last 2 days. In fact, the pools were all closed and the promenade deck closed too because of the wind and water. I swayed for 3 days when I got home. I took ginger pills at meals and that seemed to help.

Archived