San Pedro/LA Question Need to book tonight

greatful

December 21, the Friday before Christmas we arrive on the Summit. They say at 7am. What is the earliest plane we could book out of Long Beach safely??? Thanks

Hoping someone here can help, i also posted on Port thread. Thanks to anyone who can help

:DDon't want to scare you but our experience with San Pedro is that it's the worst port in the U.S. to disembark. The line for checking in with Immigration, which is on the stage in the show room snaked all the way back to the rear of the ship. If you're using Celebrity Air they'll put in a "cushion" for you. We live in San Diego, and are Elite status, and we were not able to get off until 9:30 AM.

we also had a terrible time getting off the boat (the customs and immigration were blamed by X, but I suspect it was partly X as well)....and when off ....no taxi's, a huge unruly group waiting for the few available taxi's....and hot!

so.....first check to see how many ships are in port with you, if more than just you, add an extra hour. then unless you're pre arranging transport, add an extra hour. then unless you arrive on sunday, add two hours extra for LAX, one extra for Long Beach. Good luck....I'd plan on an early afternoon flight..but the waiting and food at Long Beach are bad also. What a lousy end to a great trip:p

Thank goodness that we hired a private car and driver last September when we disembarked at San Pedro. We called as we were leaving the ship and he was there within 5 minutes of finally struggling out to the street. What a goat rope! BTW, we used execucar.com which is owned by supershuttle.com. On a previous cruise we saw the line for the supershuttle and decided "no way." And yes, taxis were scarce and fights even broke out for them.:eek:

I will second Execucar. We got off this last March a bit earlier than expected by using the AA check-in. We called the number given and the driver even came earlier than scheduled and he was very friendly. Well worth it.\

I also recommend the baggage check. It sure beats moving all the luggage one needs for a cruise.

Last fall, we used the baggage check service also which allowed us to be the first to get off of the ship. Customs was late getting on the ship and that process was a nightmare. We were among the first group so we got off fairly quickly, caught a cab,and got to the airport by 9:30 am. I wouldn't count on that though... when we actually left the ship, the line for customs snaked clear around the whole deck. I'm sure those people waited in line for hours!:mad:

Last fall, we used the baggage check service also which allowed us to be the first to get off of the ship. Customs was late getting on the ship and that process was a nightmare. We were among the first group so we got off fairly quickly, caught a cab,and got to the airport by 9:30 am. I wouldn't count on that though... when we actually left the ship, the line for customs snaked clear around the whole deck. I'm sure those people waited in line for hours!:mad:

What's the baggage check service? Is it available on Celebrity at San Pedro? Thanks

Sounds like things haven't' improved in San Pedro since we were on cruises there in late 2005 and March 2006. They do a customs clearing on-board, in the theatre. The lines move very slowly, so be prepared to wait in a line for about an hour.

My recommendation is to make a flight leaving after noon, preferable after 1PM. Then you can take your time in the morning, and not worry about your flight or getting to the airport. We find disembarking is much more fun if we can take our time getting ready, have breakfast in the dining room (which is much less crowded and hectic than the buffet on disembarkation morning). Vacate our stateroom after breakfast (paying attention to the check out time listed in the last nights daily newsletter) and THEN do our waiting in line.

We've not run into such a line at any other port, so we presume this is just something to do with the way customs at San Pedro runs their procedures. The line to clear customs in San Pedro, at about an hour or more, is the longest line, by far, I've ever seen for anything on any cruise on any line.

We've also take the Super Shuttle vans to the airport ant that worked out real well and was much less expensive than a cab. You can make a reservation with them in advance. They know the drill and will have lots of shuttles there. You don't necessarily need a reservation, but if you have one and are pre-paid I believe you'll get priority if there is a line for the shuttles.

The baggage check, proper name is "Luggage Valet" is a service available at some ports where for a fee of $20PP you can arrange to check your luggage at the dock, and pick up your boarding passes on board the night before disembarkation. You still need to pick up your luggage and take them through customs, then check them in just as you exit the cruise terminal. It is open only to us citizens with flights to another US destination and certain airlines. There will be information on board. You are not guaranteed this service, even if you qualify and sign up, as certain people are randomly refused for airport security reasons - this happened to us in San Juan. I don't know for sure they have this in San Pedro but they will have information on-board, and sign up forms, along with the daily program in the middle of your cruise. I also would not be surprised if it is only available for LAX flights - as they might not have the trucks delivering the luggage going to more than one airport. One other thing, you have to be ready to disembark with the first group, regardless of when they actually start disembarking - as they want to fill up the truck ASAP to get the luggage to the airport.

I would have to agree that San Pedro was the worst port we have ever returned to. We sailed on summit r/t to Hawaii in March 2006. Embarkation was a breeze, smooth as silk, probably no more than 10 mins from arrival to onbaord. Disembarkation was a nightmare! From the rediculous immigration / customs proceedure in the theater, to no taxis once you got off.

We had made arraingements with Shuttle Express, all paid for and everything, prior to arrival for the cruise. They were very prompt picking us up at Long Beach Airport, and taking us to our hotel pre-cruise. Hhowever, we waited over an hour for them to pick us up and bring us back to the airport when we disembarked the ship. Fortunately, we had a flight that didn't depart until after noon so the stress level was minimal. It's such a zoo, I would under no circumstances book a flight before noon when returning to that port.

Can anyone tell me if "Luggage Valet" is available on Celebrity for San Pedro ? Thanks

The on board checkin and baggage handling was available to AA from the Vision of the Seas this last March. AA says it is available on Celebrity as well. It depends on the airline if it is available. I don't know what other airlines have this program.

Contrary to what others have experienced we did NOT have to get our bags at all for customs. They showed up at the luggage pickup at ORD. Also, customs was in an area on pier and it went very quickly. It sounds like things have improved. It could be the pier VoS uses makes a difference.

San Pedro went very smoothly for us other than the approach bridge being closed from the south when we were there. The Enterprise rental is closed on Sundays as well but there is a drop at one of the local hotels. I just took there shuttle there after dropping my family and luggage at the terminal.

One cruise back into LA, the whole ship was kept on board while they waited for 2 groups of pax to pay their shipboard accounts. They weren't going to let ANYBODY off that ship until the bills were paid!

Immigration, I've only been asked to visit in person as a British subject holding a 'green card'. I don't recall my (US citizen) wife ever being required to show herself.

We signed up for the luggage valet service and we did not have to pick up our luggage and take it thru customs. They do warn you though that if there is a suspected problem with your luggage you might have to pick it up and go thru customs. We signed up for the service and received tags for our bags which we attached and set outside our room the night before. We didn't see our bags again until reaching our final destination and the process worked smoothly! Can't tell you how much stress is alleviated by not having to wait and look for baggage on the pier. It was great... and well worth the $15 or $20 /per person that we spent.

Celebrity does offer this at San Pedro, although only with certain airlines. We were taking Delta from LAX, although I remember several major airlines on the list.

Although we had a flight after noon--we easily could have made the earlier one-- we watched it depart with the more adventurous among us! But would always rather be on the safe side in case there is just one glitch While Long beach was less congested than LAX & offered us a non-stop on SWA, I must say it is a rather primitive local airport--makes me appreciate our great facilyt in Islip NY You enter through a kennel like fenced area & once inside food offerings are VERY slim--will not be looking forward to going back there ever!

Although we had a flight after noon--we easily could have made the earlier one-- we watched it depart with the more adventurous among us! But would always rather be on the safe side in case there is just one glitch While Long beach was less congested than LAX & offered us a non-stop on SWA, I must say it is a rather primitive local airport--makes me appreciate our great facilyt in Islip NY You enter through a kennel like fenced area & once inside food offerings are VERY slim--will not be looking forward to going back there ever!

After 2 weeks of eating on the cruise slim offerings might do me good. It appears LGB is way easier to get to etc

• 2 weeks later...
December 21, the Friday before Christmas we arrive on the Summit. They say at 7am. What is the earliest plane we could book out of Long Beach safely??? Thanks

Hoping someone here can help, i also posted on Port thread. Thanks to anyone who can help

Hi...I am very familiar with the docks in SP with Celebrity, NCL and RCI. Most of the info folks sent you here is correct.

1. I am not sure the luggage valet program to LGB is available. It is for SOME airlines to LAX. Call Celebrity and ask them - and then double check when you are on the ship in case you got bad information on the phone. Immigration check is done on board in the show room. They call you there based on your your standing in the Captains club or what deck you are on - higher decks first. If you have an early immigration check you can be off the ship pretty early, say 30 min to an hour after they start disembarkation, usually 7 AM.

2. LGB is more convenient to SP especially if you are in traffic - and you will be in traffic on Friday AM in LA - and the way to LGB will be much less congested than LAX. I would suggest LGB.

3. I have to alert you to the fact that on the day you disembark there are 4 ships in SP. There are always lots of problems when there are 3 ships in port. I can almost guarantee you that it will be a zoo with 4 ships, although they are building a new terminal next to pier 91/92 that "may" work better. It's still under construction at this time. Here's the schedule for that day: (ouch!!!)

Dec 21

Monarch of the Seas(B93)

Seven Seas Mariner(TBA)

Summit(TBA)

Crystal Symphony(OH-46)

4. On a good day, you're about 20 min cab ride away from LGB. The cabs will be lined up outside the terminal waiting for you. I recommend you have all your own luggage with you - called "express departure". Then you don't have to wait until they call the color of your luggage tags. When you are cleared with immigration and allowed to disembark, off you go with all your luggage. If you have tags and leave your luggage outside your stateroom, this could be quite a long while - depending if you are a member of the Celebrity Captains club or if you are on a higher deck - etc. The bags taken off the ship are placed on the dock. Sometimes (usually) it takes a while for the luggage colors to be called so you can depart the ship. It is usually 11 AM or so (sometimes later) before everyone is off the ship and on their way. On a 4 ship day it could be later. By 11AM, or a little later, check in for arriving guests has started.

5. We were on the Summit to Hawaii in March and just went thru the normal departure. There was only one other ship in port and the immigrations agents weren't spread so thin as they will be when there are 4 ships in port when you are there. We were off the ship about 9:30 AM. But we live locally and weren't in a hurry so no problem.

6. I have flown many times out of LGB, and I disagree with the comment that the airport is primitive. It ain't LAX, but that's a plus in my mind.

7. They don't hold back ALL passengers because someone has not paid their tab. When you leave the ship you have to "swipe" your sea pass card at the gangway, and if there is a question security sends you back to the pursers desk to clear it up.

8. Not trying to defend SP, but my wife and I have been on many cruises out of many ports, and SP is nowhere near the worst. In fact, it is amongst the best. I'm there 2-3 times a week working cruise ships year around and see very few problems. When we have problems it is because there are lots of ships in port - like it will be when you are here in Dec. I'd strongly suggest using the "express departure" process and making return reservations after 1 PM out of LGB. You should be OK.

9. Everyone has to go thru immigration whether US citizen or not. You've been to Mexico - even if for only an hour.

Any other questions - or if you would like to EMAIL me directly try DAANDERSON@****SOCAL.RR.COM Take out the ****.

I know you will enjoy the cruise to Hawaii. We did. The library on the Summit is fantastic. I had escargo every night -- my favorite. Don

Archived