Questions regarding New York Cruise

fitters

Hi all....We are considering the NCL Spirit out of New York in September. We have not been to this area before and we are thinking of driving in, instead of flying. Now for my questions.....:)

1) Does anyone know if there are hotels close to the port that we could leave our car at and be shuttled (or taxied) to the port? If we drove, we plan on arriving the day before.....Would love to find a marriott (or affiliate of)....have points we can use!....

2) Parking at the pier...how much per day?

3) Traffic in and out of the port area...is it worth it to drive ourselves?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

There is no place you can leave your car for free. Parking at the pier is reasonable for NYC; it's about $24 per day (I think). Traffic will depend on so many factors but it is dooable.

To find the closest Marriot you are better off checking with the hotel chain itself.

there are several threads on those very same questions. just scroll a bit on the first page...you'll be sure to find them. michigan is quite a drive. not sure i'd want to drive that far with the price of gas these days.

i'd probably fly. get the best rate for LGA, JFK, and EWR. determine what works best for your budget.

will you arrive the night before just to ensure efficient boarding?

do you want a few days before to tour NYC?

just some questions to help you decide where you want to stay. it's really been a hot debate the last few weeks.

There is the Marriot Marquis in Times Square, very popular with tourists, and in the middle of everything. There are also smaller Marriots scattered around the city.

Where are you driving in from?

Hi all....We are considering the NCL Spirit out of New York in September. We have not been to this area before and we are thinking of driving in, instead of flying. Now for my questions.....:)

1) Does anyone know if there are hotels close to the port that we could leave our car at and be shuttled (or taxied) to the port? If we drove, we plan on arriving the day before.....Would love to find a marriott (or affiliate of)....have points we can use!....

2) Parking at the pier...how much per day?

3) Traffic in and out of the port area...is it worth it to drive ourselves?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

There is the Marriot Marquis in Times Square, very popular with tourists, and in the middle of everything. There are also smaller Marriots scattered around the city.

Where are you driving in from?

Thanks! We decided we will fly instead of drive. We would of been driving from the Ann Arbor area of Michigan....9 hours. I'll have to check the Marriott Marquis out....Thanks again!

Thanks! We decided we will fly instead of drive. We would of been driving from the Ann Arbor area of Michigan....9 hours. I'll have to check the Marriott Marquis out....Thanks again!

enjoy your trip! and let this prove that not all Nittany Lions are jerks...only when the game against Michigan is a primetime game and tailgating starts at 8am.

hehehehehehhehe. Here's to you....GO BLUE!

enjoy your trip! and let this prove that not all Nittany Lions are jerks...only when the game against Michigan is a primetime game and tailgating starts at 8am.

hehehehehehhehe. Here's to you....GO BLUE!

:D 8 am is a late start!

Too funny! Thanks!

Beware that you'll be looking for a hotel during peak season and last year hotels averaged $304 per night in September.

The Park South Hotel is usually very reasonable and a very nice boutique hotel. Only catch is the rooms are very small.

:D 8 am is a late start!

Too funny! Thanks!

yeah well ideally it all starts the night before. i can't throw'em down like i used to. we're at your place this year.

gotta get this stupid wolverine off our backs!!!

We just sailed NCL Dawn out of NYC last month. We went up the day before (via AMTRAK; driving next year). And, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Midtown on W57th street. Very nice hotel and definitely worth the price (we paid about $280 for one night, I think). It was only 1/2 mile from the port. The drive to the port took a long time, but only because we took a limo tour of Manhattan. Otherwise, it would have been about 10 minutes max. Traffic getting into the terminal was pretty heavy at 10:00 a.m. But, doable.

Happy Sailing!!!

We just sailed NCL Dawn out of NYC last month. We went up the day before (via AMTRAK; driving next year). And, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Midtown on W57th street. Very nice hotel and definitely worth the price (we paid about $280 for one night, I think). It was only 1/2 mile from the port.

Just a thought.... I take AMTRAK as well. I live up near Poughkeepsie, 2 stops before NYC. A nice hotel in Poughkeepsie is about $70 a night, a BIG savings over any of the hotels in NYC. Long term parking (safe) at the Poughkeepsie train station is about $4-$5 a day. CONSIDER, instead of staying o/n in Manhattan, stay o/n in Poughkeepsie. You still have access to everything NYC has to offer, it's a simple train ride back to your hotel, it's VERY pretty, plenty to do, good food, easy ride, BIG SAVINGS in money.

Taking the train was a very smooth ride. We traveled with our 2 young kids (2 and 7 two years ago and again last month when they were 4 and 9). We got on at BWI rail station, which is very small and easily traversed. Parking for the week was $80 there. And, it cost about $300 for the 4 of us round trip. It dumps you just 5 blocks from the pier at Penn Station. And, from DC it'll take about 3 and 1/2 hours for you. It was nice because the kids could walk around and go to the bathroom without disturbing anyone. And, we just walked up to the dining car and picked up a couple subs and sodas. The only caviat is having to carry all your luggage from the train platform up to the street level at Penn Station. So, we were limited in what we could bring. That's why we're driving next year: drop luggage off right at the pier, park, and voila!

Archived