A couple of Alaska non-cruise questions!

BunkerVA

Hi guys!!

I know these are cruise boards, but it's the only place I know of to ask so I thought I would give it a shot.

I am thinking of taking a week long land vacation to Alaska in 2008. I plan to fly to Anchorage and stay in Willow.

I am thinking early September, what's the average weather like?? I prefer the cold. I love snow, but I'm not looking to be snowbound for days...too late in the season??

Also, I plan to rent a car, obviously compact and standard cars are cheaper than SUV's (LOTS cheaper, $186.00 w/tax for a week compared to $418.00 w/tax) but I would imagine with the risk of snow and ice, it would be safer to have an SUV??? We will be driving one day from Willow to Denali (I'm told it's 2.5 hours) and I'm not sure what the roads would be like.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Sam :D

Hi guys!!

I know these are cruise boards, but it's the only place I know of to ask so I thought I would give it a shot.

I am thinking of taking a week long land vacation to Alaska in 2008. I plan to fly to Anchorage and stay in Willow.

I am thinking early September, what's the average weather like?? I prefer the cold. I love snow, but I'm not looking to be snowbound for days...too late in the season??

Also, I plan to rent a car, obviously compact and standard cars are cheaper than SUV's (LOTS cheaper, $186.00 w/tax for a week compared to $418.00 w/tax) but I would imagine with the risk of snow and ice, it would be safer to have an SUV??? We will be driving one day from Willow to Denali (I'm told it's 2.5 hours) and I'm not sure what the roads would be like.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

We are in Alaska every year from Labor Day to about Sept 10-15. We have business there and it is the end of our season. Temps are cooler than July, but generally not cold. Lows in the high 30's at night.

You will not get enough snow (if any) early September to need an SUV. SUV's only help when the snow gets deep enough to start spinning wheels. And unless you end up in a totally freak storm, you won't get that much snow early September.

A common fallacy about SUV's and ice-SUV's give you NO MORE driving help on ICE than a car. In fact, a heavy front wheel drive vehicle is better for driving on ice than an SUV. SUV's, even in 4 wheel drive, are often like "hogs on ice". Driving skills are more important than the type of vehicle, unless you get in very deep snow.

Rental car rates usually drop a lot after Sept 1. Check out the standard/premium cars. Often, they are as cheap or just a few dollars more than an "economy" class car. I always rent the Chevy Impala class from Avis. DH rents a mini van. The mini van is pricey. My Impala is often cheaper than the smaller cars and never more than $12.00 per day more than the little cars. Enjoy!!!

Hi Greatam!

Thank you so much for your response. We have an SUV here at home so I know it's benefits in snow, which was really my concern. I will discuss it with my husband to see whether he thinks it might be worth it. If the risk of heavy snow is really that slight we will likely just rent a car for the savings! Thanks!

My issue with timing is this: the Denali visitors center closes September 18th... so I may book our trip to arrive around the 15th and go to Denali right away. I was hoping to be in the 30's and 40's during the day, but I can't push to trip any farther back because of Denali.

Can you recommend any other "absolutely must do" things to do in that area of Alaska? (DH is a photographer...) Like I said, we will probably only be there a week and I am looking at a rental in Willow.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!

If you plan to arrive mid September you could enter the Denali Park Road lottery. Up to 400 vehicles per day are allowed to travel the road after the shuttle bus stops running for the season. This years event will take place Septmeber 14-17.Entries must be postmarked by the end of July. More info at: http://www.nps.gov/dena/parknews/road-lottery-2007.htm

Hi Greatam!

Thank you so much for your response. We have an SUV here at home so I know it's benefits in snow, which was really my concern. I will discuss it with my husband to see whether he thinks it might be worth it. If the risk of heavy snow is really that slight we will likely just rent a car for the savings! Thanks!

My issue with timing is this: the Denali visitors center closes September 18th... so I may book our trip to arrive around the 15th and go to Denali right away. I was hoping to be in the 30's and 40's during the day, but I can't push to trip any farther back because of Denali.

Can you recommend any other "absolutely must do" things to do in that area of Alaska? (DH is a photographer...) Like I said, we will probably only be there a week and I am looking at a rental in Willow.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!

Glad you are doing a land-only tour next year. I start my land-only tour to AK tomorrow and am doing another one next summer.

Note that by arriving at Denali that late, there is a chance you will be snowed out. I was there 3 years ago at Wonder Lake (mile 85) and we had a foot of snow on Sep 13. Some mountain passes between the park entrance and Wonder Lake had 18" of snow. So hope but don't expect to get very far on the park road that late. The suggestion in the previous post about trying to enter the road lottery is a good one. But you will need to find a car rental company that will allow you to drive on gravel roads since the road inside Denali NP is a gravel road.

Denali is the "must see" - other things are icing on the cake.

If you plan to arrive mid September you could enter the Denali Park Road lottery. Up to 400 vehicles per day are allowed to travel the road after the shuttle bus stops running for the season. This years event will take place Septmeber 14-17.Entries must be postmarked by the end of July. More info at: http://www.nps.gov/dena/parknews/road-lottery-2007.htm

The NPS website states the campgrounds are open. Does that mean you can camp overnight or just use the campgrounds for day use? I have often wanted to drive into Denali, but if I have my own vehicle, I would want to spend the night. Nights and early mornings are soooo magical in Alaska.

To the OP-

As fti pointed out, there can be a BIG difference between early September and mid/late September, especially as far north as Denali.

There won't be a lot of snow in Anchorage or Willow (Mat-Su valley, right???), but there may be a lot of snow in Denali.

Unless you really want to DRIVE yourself into Denali, try to get to Alaska by Sept. 10. You will almost be assured of decent weather, accommodations still open, and lots of sales. The local merchants (artists, etc) have some SUPER sales between Labor Day and about the 10th of September. I bought some original paintings two years ago for 1/4 what the "tourist" price was. The other stores just ship their merchandise off to ski areas or put them in storage for next year. Enjoy!!!!

I have traveled interior Alaska several times in Sept as well. I have had snow IN Denali Park, one time on 9-1. But NEVER any snow any other time/area, and have been there through the third week. I actually have done more interior trips than cruises , so much more to see and do. :)

IF you do go the Denali lottery route- be CERTAIN you get a car that allows you the drive. None of the regular rental companies will allow it. There are a couple independents out of Anchorage that will. Photograph and NOTE every ding in the car, it will be in rougher shape than your used to.

Hey guys!!!!

Thank you so much for this information!!!!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!!!! I am really leaning towards a land vacation to Alaska as opposed to a cruise (did I just say that?!?!) but DH isn't so sure...have any of you done both??? Did you find the land vacation less relaxing??? Did you feel like you got cheated by "seeing less"?? Or did you prefer the land trip?

I'm not sure we will do the lottery, but it's something to think about. I kind of like the sound of some of the Denali tours.

Thanks so much!!!!!!

Sam, a couple years ago we had two of dh's high school buddies visiting us. One had been to AK by cruise ship, and one by RV - both swore they had gone the best way!! :) So our trip will include some of each - so may be I'll have an answer to that question by September!

I have done both many times. :) Cruise 15 in 3 weeks, trip 25 to Alaska. I have also done several combos, cruise one way, then at least another week for interior.

I find neither "hectic" but I also plan well. :) I don't do marathon driving with tight time schedules in Alaska. Distances are just too vast for it in my opinion. I am on the move, but stay a couple nights in areas of interest to me, and break up long transits with overnights if needed. Time, is essential in my opinion and my most recommended priority.

I have been to AK nowhere near as many times as BQ and only once on a cruise (hopefully end of August will be my second cruise). Personally I prefer the land trips over the cruise trips, but the cruise was fun too. I just prefer to see more than the relatively few cities the cruise ships visit. I also feel I can get more bang for my buck on a land trip than a cruise, though cruise prices for last-minute bookings have been tumbling recently. I also don't find my land tours hectic, though some people feel that way - they try to pack too much into their trip. Reminds me of how many Americans visit Europe.

The NPS website states the campgrounds are open. Does that mean you can camp overnight or just use the campgrounds for day use? I have often wanted to drive into Denali, but if I have my own vehicle, I would want to spend the night. Nights and early mornings are soooo magical in Alaska.

That is a question I asked myself a year ago when I was thinking about the road lottery. Perhaps I can ask when I am at Denali next week and let you know.

I know so much what you mean about nights and early mornings. That is why I drag camping equipment and camp at Wonder Lake - just too beautiful to miss. I usually rent a bicycle to bring with me too so I can get to Reflection Pond and Wonder Lake easier and quicker.

Thank you so much for all the information! I am really excited about a land trip to Alaska. It would seem to me to be a much less rushed way to SEE Alaska....

cjnky- I hope you'll come back and let me know what you think about cruise vs. land vacation. I'd be interested to hear it!

fti and Budget Queen-I hope you both have wonderful trips!!!!!

THANK YOU!

Being one who lives between Willow and Talkeetna I would think that the times that you have picked will be fine. There are no guarantees on our weather though. :)

Most years we are fine well into October but there are the occasions that we have snow early. I am sure if that does happen it will not stick.

Make sure if you do get a day of sunshine that you go to the pull off in Willow. It has the most spectacular view of Mt. McKinley. Also, if you have time go check out the Princess Talkeetna Lodge. It also has a beautiful view of the valley below with the mountain in the background. Enjoy our great state. ;) It really is a good time to visit. Not quite so busy and the weather usually is good.

The road opens at 6am and you need to be back by midnight the same day, for the lottery.

Looks like you age getting some great non cruise advice here so far. You can also check the Fodor.com and tripadvisor.com sites for Alaska and there are many experts over there too, including several from this board. Coalminor in Healy has good local denali info. Have great trip.

Archived