Host/Hostess gift

emmylou

I recently did an Amadeus trip to Russia. No one from our group brought gifts, most people gave the host a $5 - $10 US bill or a ruble equivalant. She did show us post cards that were given to her from previous guests.

The house we went to in Russia was very minimal and had an out-house for a bathroom. These families do this to earn extra money to supplement their income. I had asked our onboard guides earlier about this and they said a small cash donation was appropriate. I know our monetary gift was appreciated.

Our breakfast was very nice. IMO - it was the best meal of the trip.

Maybe outside of Russia, this isn't appropriate but it was very appropriate on our trip.

BTW - our breakfast was a full breakfast. Everyone from our ship ate at the same time. We took taxis to the house we ate at.

2travelers - welcome back!

Hi 2travelers,

Thank you for taking the time to give some much valued info.The jet lag all I can say is I know the feeling and really feel for you.Took me days to get over it the last time but here I am doing it again.Just got our preliminary airlines schedule.Leave Philly at 10 P.M. get into London 10A.M. have a 4 hour layover (yikes)and then another 2.40 hours to Basel,and I thought we would get to see some of Basel before we pulled out of port.Will be lucky if we stay awake for the sail away.

The woman in the group that thought it was inappropriate to leave a little something extra for the family when it was obvious they could use the extra cash was probably using her remark as her excuse for not doing so.Different strokes for different folks as the saying goes.Hope you and hubby get over your jet lag in record time.

Coral

Thank you for your reply.How often do you here of outhouses in this country.Gives you a real good reason to count your blessings doesn't it?So glad you enjoyed your trip.Russia (ST.Petersburg especially) is one of the countries I would love to visit maybe I will make it yet.

emmy

Archived