Personal Tours in Amsterdam

rocconoah

:rolleyes: We are arriving in Amsterdam on Sept 20 for 2 days before we board the Amadagio for Amsterdam to Budapest. Has anyone used a personal tour company for Amsterdam and would anyone recommend going to Delft for a day. We are a group of 10 people.

We have visited Amsterdam twice, for pre-cruise visits. We have used Rick Steve's book on Amsterdam for touring that great city. While I am sure there are private guides, Rick really nails it down on what to see, how to get to the sights, etc. His books have klutzy but accurate maps and he gives the lowdown on how to get around Amsterdam, whether by walking, cabs, trolleys, busses or boats. Amsterdam is a highly walkable city, if you are able to do so.

On our last visit, we took a cab from our hotel early in the morning to the river cruise ship and dropped off our luggage. From the cruise ship pier, we walked (about 10 minute walk or less) to Central Station and caught a train to Delft. The trains run frequently and it was about a 45 minute trip to Delft. Once there, we found our way to the Royal Delft factory for a tour. We hoofed it and it was about a 20 minute walk from the Delft train station. After visiting the factory and purchasing some Delftware (they have great deals on "seconds"-we have yet to find any flaws on our piece) and having lunch there, we walked to the city plaza and walked through the markets, eventually walking back to the train station, for the return trip to Amsterdam. We were back on the ship by 4:00 or so. In our opinion, going to Delft is a great day trip. The European rail system is so superrior to the US rail system-makes for a very pleasant experience. I have just a few Delft pictures from our Tulips and Windmills cruise at www.buffnbou.smugmug.com

Have a great cruise!

We used a private guide Mr. Ab (pronoused "UP")Albert. We actually received his name somewhere along the way on cruise critic. We were party of 6 and only have an afternoon to soak up as much of Amsterdam as possible. We arrived a day early, but after an am flight in and getting to the hotel, we ended up with only a 1/2 day. Anyway, I emailed him with our time frame and what we thought we might want to see. We skipped the museums (unfortunately) but felt it better than to have to rush out in an hour. That wouldn't be fair to the museum, artist or us.

We made up a list and he maped his course. Met us in our hotel lobby for a 3 hour walking tour. And do I mean walking! Charged 90 euro for 3 hours (60 euro for 2 hr) cash after tour. He also gave us a recommendation for dinner which was a delight!

I would HIGHLY recommend him. Very pleasant man and very knowledgable. His email address is: abwalet@yahoo.com

If you need a hotel recommendation, we stayed at Banks Mansion. EXCEPTIONL service, friendly and truly went out of their way for us. Just around the corner from the flower market.

Let me know if I can be of any further help. We just returned from our rivercruise yesterday.

Chesie

We also have stayed at the Banks Mansion, on both visits. I agree with Chesie-great hotel and convenient location. Full breakfast, all drinks and internet access, all complimentary. Clean, air conditioned and quiet.

We have visited Amsterdam twice, for pre-cruise visits. We have used Rick Steve's book on Amsterdam for touring that great city. While I am sure there are private guides, Rick really nails it down on what to see, how to get to the sights, etc. His books have klutzy but accurate maps and he gives the lowdown on how to get around Amsterdam, whether by walking, cabs, trolleys, busses or boats. Amsterdam is a highly walkable city, if you are able to do so.

On our last visit, we took a cab from our hotel early in the morning to the river cruise ship and dropped off our luggage. From the cruise ship pier, we walked (about 10 minute walk or less) to Central Station and caught a train to Delft. The trains run frequently and it was about a 45 minute trip to Delft. Once there, we found our way to the Royal Delft factory for a tour. We hoofed it and it was about a 20 minute walk from the Delft train station. After visiting the factory and purchasing some Delftware (they have great deals on "seconds"-we have yet to find any flaws on our piece) and having lunch there, we walked to the city plaza and walked through the markets, eventually walking back to the train station, for the return trip to Amsterdam. We were back on the ship by 4:00 or so. In our opinion, going to Delft is a great day trip. The European rail system is so superrior to the US rail system-makes for a very pleasant experience. I have just a few Delft pictures from our Tulips and Windmills cruise at www.buffnbou.smugmug.com

Have a great cruise!

Bill has explained it great. Easy to do yourself. Trains from Amsterdam Centraal Station to Delft are 2 per hour, at 10 and 40 past every hour.Traveltime almost 1 hour, costs dayreturnticket p.p. 2nd class: Eur. 19.90, 1st class: E. 33.80

Have a look at the website of Porceleyne Fles:

http://www.royaldelft.com/index.cfm?

Delft citycenter is also worth a visit, Marktplein with a nice big old church where the dutch royals are buried. Also some nice small canals to wlak by etc.

http://www.delft.nl/webEN/content.jsp?objectid=33500

HI Ine! Glad to see you posting!

Ine is the wonderful person who informed my DW about the Delft factory and the gift shop "seconds"! :) DW just loves her Delft platter! We were lucky to visit Delft on one of their market days.

Archived