Best D1 Mariner Cabin?

I'm sorry if there is already a post for this question, but I have never posted on the RCCL board, and I couldn't find anything. I'm going on the Mariner of the Seas next summer and I am positive that I want a category D1 stateroom, but I am unsure what the best cabins are (I have never sailed with RCCL). I looked at the deck plans, and saw that there were a few D1 cabins on the "bulge" of the ship, as well as at the aft. I also saw that two of the aft cabins (1688 and 1388) have different configurations than the others, is this a good thing? Those who have sailed in the "hump" cabins, does the extra balcony room really make a difference? And finally, should I consider an aft cabin? (Iv'e heard both yes and no)

I'm sorry if iv'e asked too many questions, but the ships I have sailed on in the past haven't had as many options, and I really want to make the most of this cruise. I'm really excited about trying out RCCL (I have never been on one cruise line more than once) and hope that somebody can help me.

Oh, any pictures would be wonderful!

Thanks!

We just had 1688 a few weeks ago on the Mariner and loved it. Cabin is shaped differently than other cabins, it is wider and not as long. Had plenty of room to get around with the sofa bed open. The balcony was huge and very private. We had 2 chairs, 2 small tables and 3 lounge chairs. Lots of sun but shade too, not much of a breeze though so it did get hot in the afternoons. The walk is longer to the elevators but it didn't bother us at all. We would book it again in a heartbeat.

as it is a long walk back there so folks don't bother you. Great neighbors to cruise with, who enjoy the peace & quiet & the beautiful wake that mezmorizes me at night.

A JS is even better with the extra room in the stateroom, storage, a tub to relax in, etc. but a D1 AFT is heaven for those who can't afford a JS.

Thanks for the responses, it looks like we're going to book one of the aft cabins (we just got in touch with our travel agent), but I have one more question: Is there any noticible vibration at the aft of the ship? I remember that there was quite a bit of vibration at the aft of the Norwegian Majesty, but I also realize that there is a ten years difference between the Majesty and the Mariner.

:) Thanks again for all the help!:)

You'll hear a lot of wonderful benefits about the aft cabins; however, you will have some obstruction from the ship's superstructure. (Here's a link to Bonnie Voyager's photos so you can see for yourself: http://travel.webshots.com/album/48328219CtbGLi?start=0) It may or may not matter to you, but the photos will help you make the right decision for you. :)

Personally, I did not want to look at the superstructure... just want a nice, unobstructed view of the ocean. :D My husband and I booked cabin 9622 on the Mariner (a center hump cabin - along with cabin 9620, it jutted out the farthest from the side of the ship) and LOVED it. It was central to everything! Just a flight or two up or down would put us anywhere we wanted to be on the ship. We LOVE to walk, but it was very convenient not to have to walk from 'stem to stern' each time we wanted to go somewhere. Our balcony had 3 chairs and a small table, but still had plenty of room to move around and even place another chair, if one was available.

Good luck on your decision! Happy cruising!!! :D

I know a lot of people are big fans of the aft cabins, but we've liked our cabins on the hump, especially the location. Last week we had 9612, 9620, & 9622...they were all great!:)

There is a little superstructure on the starboard end of the balcony but, it serves a good purpose by providing shade if like me, the Dermatologist would be upset if he saw me in the sun. For the sun worshiper the majority of the balcony area is open to the sun.

There is also a metal support that runs from the floor of the cabin to the ceiling (a round metal post) but, it did not bother us one bit.

1688 was by far the nicest cabin we have had on any of our cruises (RCCL, Princess, Celebrity)

Bob

Archived