Fashion Memories from Years Gone By

kitty9

I was in high school and college in the late 60's-early 70's. The things I remember:

Bobbie Brooks and Garland outfits-skirt with matching sweater and button-down or Peter Pan collar oxford cloth shirts worn with matching tights and chunky shoes (girls were not allowed to wear slacks when I was in high school)

Maxi coats- I had a red one which I loved

Mini dresses and mini skirts

tiny floral print suits (my mother hated them so I never had one-left me scarred for life)

Bermuda shorts worn with a matching blazer and oxford cloth shirt

the musical "Hair" had a major influnence on clothes- we wore long retangular scarves tied around our head, very wide bell bottom jeans with braid trim stitched on the bottom, loose fitting gauze shirts and army jackets

The haircut I remember the most was the Dorothy Hamill wedge. We didn't highlight our hair-the process was called "frosting"

LOL it still makes me laugh, when I go to the salon for a "frosting" and the hairdressers says she will be doing my "highlights", then proceeds to put on a frosting cap hehehehe

You say potatoe......I say potato

debbie

PS are they still selling "frost and tip" we used that kit all the time in high school

straughn, I remember those floral print suits. I had one that was white with tiny yellow and orange flowers. And the bermuda shorts with jackets. We wore them to football games with knee highs and penny loafers. The shorts had to be either navy/green or red/navy plaid wool and the jackets had to be a solid color. It didn't matter if we froze our behinds off in 40 degree weather, we wore the bermudas. We were so cool !!!

Ta421sBtrHlf - I had a good friend (guy) that used to ask to borrow my eyeliner! I had a blue and a purple that he loved and I used to practice different looks on him before doing it to myself!

I didn't do the big hair, I went the opposite direction and had semi-punk hair. Very spikey (LOL, it's short and spikey again, but not quite the same way). I did the crew cut around the sides and back and left the top long, too.

Mcfaddensfarm - I had an uncle who was, um, loosely connected to some guys who conveniently, um, found things...so we got some fairly inexpensive stuff. We also had Gold Digger Jeans. Ever hear of them? There was another one, too, maybe Faded Glory?

Who remembers the ooh-la-la Sasson jeans? Or the Sergio Valente? OR, how about Gloria Vanderbilt jeans??

They had to be dark blue, long, pressed, and tight. Back in the days when I still WANTED my clothes tight...deliberately. When I didn't wonder if my a.. looked fat, because I knew it wasn't! LOL!

I guess that's why they call it the "good old days".

I also remember back in the 70's when we used to turn the tops of our jeans down to make them "hip huggers", and when the trend was to embroider, paint, put metal studs or rhinestones on, or sew patches on them to make them look "cool".

Sharon H.

I went to high school in the 60's and remember many of the above mentioned items.

This thread is something similar to what would have been on the original fashion board. Many people sharing there thoughts, memories and laughs of how we dressed so cool back then. I understand that the preppie look is making a comeback.

Pat

Sharon - Never had to worry about our butts looking fat becuse in those jeans they were FLAT!

Yes, I went through the phase that they had to be so tight I had to pull the zipper up with pliers!

Remember the commercials that went with all those jeans?

so much fun reading this!

I remember the gauchos. My favorite pair were bright green and I loved them! I also remember having my bangs teased up so high that it might have been a problem if I had a convertible and went under a low bridge :D

Like the old song goes, "everything old is new again"!

Sharon H.

I have an almost 11 year old daughter. She's having a fit to have a poncho and I wonder why I can't find my old ones. When I cleaned out my parents' home, I found a good deal of my old clothes. My daughter keeps pulling them out of storage and wearing them. Today, she was wearing my old blue workshirt with appliques all over it. "But Mom, it's the style!"

psychodelic patterned petti-pants?

My first garter belt held up day-glo yellow fishnets.

Man, I wish I had kept the 7' long silk Peter Max scarf in day-glow yellow, pink, and orange! I tied it around the brim of a huge, white felt hat (yes, we wore hats to church, then). It went with a psycheledic tent dress (also for church) and also with trousers and vest that resembled the backdrop of Laugh-in. In fifth grade, I SO wanted to be Goldie Hawn (not a bad idea even now!)

When I graduated from high school, I wanted to be Joan Baez: I have one silk headscrarf and a pair of cowboy boots from that era, and I still wear them!

Wow, all these memories! In Jr. High, I remember hip-hugger jeans that HAD to scrape on the ground. I remember go-go boots and mini skirts. Gauchos.

I had TWO Danskin outfits -- one in Navy one in maroon for going to the discos in college. Ah, the platform shoes and the Candies with the high thin heels that I used to actually run in (if only I could run now -- if only I could wear heels now).

Remember "nothing gets between me and my Calvin Klein's?" I still have those jeans - I think they fit again.

Also, remember cut-offs? I always had a new pair of shorts when the jeans that scraped the ground too often really made the bottoms look bad.

For me, tye-dye t-shirts have never gone out of style. I own more now than I ever did.

Iszu,

My jeans were super tight, but I didn't zip them up with pliers. I would lay down on the bed, and zip them up. Yes, I definitely remember the flashdance tops. I wore them when I was in 7th grade. Remember wearing your hair in layers like Farrah Fawcett?

Ta421sbtrhalf,

Yes, I grew up in Florida in Miami and attended Southwest High school for 10th and 11th grade and Coral Gables High for my senior year. I graduated in 1989 and by that time they still hadn't approved us wearing bermuda shorts. I loved those Coca-Cola rugby shirts. Both the guys and girls wore them.

My first day in Junior high School in 7th grade I came home wearing tons of make-up and my mother wouldn't allow me to wear it. Everyday before going home I would go to the bathroom at school to wipe it off. In 8th grade my mother told me the same thing. I told her how I was the only one not allowed to wear make-up (not true) so she gave in and let me wear it.

I remember the crinoline slips under the poodle skirts..they were made of "horse hair" My Father wouldn't spring for one, and I had to "starch" them with suger water!

I remember Angora sweaters and skirts. The penney loafers were called, "Shufflers" (New York at the time) When I first started wearing nylons, it was really big thing and my girfriends and I would discuss on Friday (Pizza Nites) whether we would wear our nylons to church on Sunday!

I wore a Hat AND white gloves to Church!:cool:

Those many petticoats caused a big fight with my mother.

During my second week in Jr. high, the elastic gave out on a red crinoline ( that happened to be the one on the bottom of the 4 that I had on.) I was in a crowded hall changing classes. I just stepped out of it and kept on going. There was no way I was going to pick it up!

My mother was furious that I left it at school. I got the money doesn't grow on trees lecture. I did take a large brown paper bag to school the next day and retrieve it from the lost and found--under protest--that bag got put in my locker so fast--I didn't want anyone to see it and ask what was in it!

My mother made almost all of my clothes for school. I would pick out fashions from Seventeen magazine & she'd make them from scratch!

Once she made me a sunback dress & a matching jacket. I wore the jacket over the sundress, but the administration sent me home for being *indecent*!

That's pretty tame compared to today's standards!

I was in school in the early sixties & we always had to wear dresses or skirts.

For some reason, the poodle skirt was never popular in my school. The Ladybug Dresses were the hot item. They were just straight shirtwaist dresses with little round collars. I had about 7 in different colors ..(my DM didn't make those)

xxxxxShari

Sharisoda, the times have not changed...they have come full circle! I just called some parents today of gals who continue to break dress code...and it is only the third day of school! Yikes! (Of course, I have to resist asking, "ohhhh, that is so cute...where did you get that??? How much was it??? Did it come in a misses size 10 or junior only???") ha ha ha

Coka

This one will surely show my age.

I remember the starched crinolines (we used sugar water) and dried them outside hoping the ants wouldn't find them.

No girls ever wore pants to school, always dresses.

My Dad was Scotch and sooo frugal. I loved shoes and would save babysitting money for them. He always told me "you have one pair of feet and only need one pair of shoes." What a joke! If he could see my shoe collection now!!

Not sure if this was an Arizona thing but we also had what we called broomstick skirts. They were small prints with 3 tiers. We would wash them and carefully tie them around a brookstick to get the "pleated look." OMG there were terrible and took days to dry.

Pony tails a big thing too. Never wore hose to school though. Just cute little flat shoes to match outfit.

Hi Coka. I have had to call parents of 4th graders because they break the No Spaghetti straps rule. The parents will say, "But they are only 10 yrs. old! They have no figure!" The problem with that is --if we let them wear those tops now, they'll come to school again in them in the spring & that's when the flowers start to bloom...LOL

Archived