Mercury Aft Vibration & Config?

Nan59

We love aft cabins and are considering booking one of the 2A afts (1152,1154,1156,1161 or 1163) on the Mercury for next summer. We are a little concerned about the continued mention of vibration. We have had afts on several different RC ships and never noticed any vibration, but sailed NCL Norway a few years back and had constant vibration. No cruise is bad, but it was close. The constant vibration of our bed when just sailing in open ocean made it difficult to sleep. We were exhausted when we got home. The NCL staff told us that was normal on that ship and with no other rooms available we were basically stuck with it. Is the vibration that bad on Mercury?

Regarding the configuration...are these cabins the same as those on the Panorama deck (8000 cabins)? Do they have the bed against the wall? We are traveling with my parents and are wondering if they would like crawling over the bed as some of you describe it. Both are in great shape, but Dad is 81 and Mom is 78. We will have our 21 year son with us in our room and are wondering if it will be crowded. My last question...is the aft balcony area public on the 11th floor(Penthouse deck). It looks open and don't want to give up privacy on our balcony.

Thanks for your help in advance. You are all a great wealth of information.

You will have severe vibrations each morning as you come into port and each night when you leave port.

The main bed has wall at the head and foot of the bed as well as one side. Yes they would have to crawl over each other.

It is a public area on deck 11, people could look down.

5 adults and one small bathroom with make the room crowded. You'd be better served with 2 rooms.

You will have severe vibrations each morning as you come into port and each night when you leave port.

The main bed has wall at the head and foot of the bed as well as one side. Yes they would have to crawl over each other.

It is a public area on deck 11, people could look down.

5 adults and one small bathroom with make the room crowded. You'd be better served with 2 rooms.

Agree with Rick, the vibrations are severe but only last five to ten minutes. Did not really notice evening vibrations as we were usually out of cabin for whatever reason. The morning ones will wake you up but other than that the cabins are great....

Guess I didn't explain it well...we will be booking two cabins. One for my parents and one for my husband, son and me. The vibrations we experienced on NCL were all night long not just occasional. Sounds like Mercury is not like that. Am I correct?

Nan, I've just had two cruises in cabin 8259, and aft cabin on the Mercury.

The vibrations are definitely an issue, but not constantly. Just when they are using the steering thrusters to dock or leave the dock. On the Alaska cruise I just went on I noticed that they had to use the thrusters occasionally to make the turns required to navigate the inside passage.

They do wake you up in the morning, but the also will stop and you can turn over and go back to sleep.

This cabin might work well for the three of you, but your parents might like a side 2a better. The crawling over your spouse in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom might be more adventure than your parents might want.

No the vibrations are not constant. The Norway was a much older ship. Newer more modern engines don't give you as much shake.

The higher the cabin the less vibration. You will notice it in the restaurant, but your cabin will be fine.

While we've never stayd in an aft cabin on Mercury, we have sailed her twice in outside cabins & there was room to get out of the bed on each side. The only ship we've ever sailed that had the bed against the wall was Zenith & lucky me always got the wall side!

As far a vibration, you do feel it most on the lower decks. If leave port while in the Manhattan Restaurant, it is very pronounced, but other than that, it's fine.

Just got off the mercury and the only time vibrations were bad was the night we lift ketchikan. I think because of the shallow channel and all the turning. Lasted from 8:30 to about 9:30pm. Only rough sea night was after hubbard on way to Ketchican. More open water and strong current.

Darrell Duncan

By the way theses cabin now only accomodate 4 since adding the Balcony the 5th "bed" had to make way for the Verandah door.

Photos check out the post on 2A a few post further doen and you will find photos there with the new configuartion

on the mercury in april and were in room 8231. we did feel vibrations...mostly coming into port. i was also concerned about it prior to sailing and honestly it was not a big deal and only lasted for a few minutes. we loved the mercury & with no hesitation would book again. :)

I put cabin 8232 on hold almost all of the fo(sv) cabins on the panorama deck is open I choose this one as this is right in the middle did I make a good choice? Should I of selected the end cabins? I was concerned because of the stair case that shows on the diagram. Need help.

Thanks

I put cabin 8232 on hold almost all of the fo(sv) cabins on the panorama deck is open I choose this one as this is right in the middle did I make a good choice? Should I of selected the end cabins? I was concerned because of the stair case that shows on the diagram. Need help.

Thanks

Good choice. The staircases are still there...so a corner cabin, wouldn't be exactly at the corner part of the ship.

Karyn

being in 8231 as it's towards the back with easy access to the outside staircase. The very back side of the ship off the Panorama deck or up a deck is a great, quiet place to relax on a chaise in the sun. The pizza- pasta bar close by ( I think it was up a deck or two ( and the wait staff would come down and take drink orders. It was awesome.:)

Archived