Mount Roberts Tramway

mtd1

:confused: Does anyone know the operating hours? I've checked the website but there is no mention of when they close or open! Thanks---:)

We were just there a couple of weeks ago and I know they opened at 8:00 a.m. but not sure when they closed.

I just called the number I found on google, 1-888-461-TRAM (8726), and it said the hours of operation were: Tuesday-Friday 8AM-9PM, and Saturday-Monday 9AM-9PM. Hope that helps. :)

BTW, the views are beautiful from up there. It was quite foggy when we docked, but cleared up quickly.

We will be there Sept 2. Will it even be dusk at 9:00 p.m.?

Hi. I'll be in Juneau Sept. 1. If I remember correctly, from what I googled, sunset is supposed to be around 8 then. I would guess that it would get truly dark a little bit later. (Sunset is really only when the sun drops down - not when it's totally dark!) I guess now there are very long days, but in late August-early Sept. it apparently changes quite a bit. So yes, if your ship is like ours and is there until 10 at night, I would think you could see dusk or sunset and then take the tram back down!

:confused: Does anyone know the operating hours? I've checked the website but there is no mention of when they close or open! Thanks---:)

In addition to all the excellent information you've already received, let me add another item. There is a hiking trail to the top of Mt Roberts. The tram ride down is free for hikers! There are more hiking trails at the top, a raptor center, an excellent (and free) film on the Tklingit culture, a restaurant, gift shop, native ladies selling crafts, and more. The operation is run by the Tklingits and is well worth visiting when you're in Juneau.

In addition to all the excellent information you've already received, let me add another item. There is a hiking trail to the top of Mt Roberts. The tram ride down is free for hikers! There are more hiking trails at the top, a raptor center, an excellent (and free) film on the Tklingit culture, a restaurant, gift shop, native ladies selling crafts, and more. The operation is run by the Tklingits and is well worth visiting when you're in Juneau.

Technically, you are supposed to spend $5 per person in the gift shop or restaurant to get the free tram ride down.

We hiked to the top last week. It is a hike in itself to get to the trailhead (about 20 minutes). It took us about 70 minutes to hike up and we are experienced hikers.

Technically, you are supposed to spend $5 per person in the gift shop or restaurant to get the free tram ride down.

We hiked to the top last week. It is a hike in itself to get to the trailhead (about 20 minutes). It took us about 70 minutes to hike up and we are experienced hikers.

Two important points, which I omitted!

• 1 month later...

We hiked from the Basin Road entrance (adds another 0.5 mile, but a local recommended it) to the Tram level and it took us a pretty sweaty 95 minutes. We are not experienced hikers, and at least one of us is pretty out of shape. :-) But, we loved it, and we got some great pictures. We did spend $10 in the gift shop, but no one asked to see a tram ticket or gift shop receipt when we boarded the tram.

One warning for the inexperienced hikers - there are no signs along the way that you are 1.5 miles, 1 mile, or 0.5 miles away from your destination. The only sign we saw was when the Basin Road entrance met with the main trail, there was a sign that the Mt Roberts Tram was 2.0 miles away. We were a bit stressed about how long it was taking us, but then suddenly we were there!

Debbi

Archived