refrigerator for medical needs?

We're going to be traveling with our kids on the Liberty, and one of them has a med that requires refrigeration. Can we get a frig for medical reasons, or can they keep his med in the infirmary for us? We really can't just keep it on ice and risk it being too hot or too cold. This stuff costs more a month than our mortgage (thankful for our insurance coverage!), so we have to be very careful not to have any waste. I assume there has to be a way RCL would accomodate this, as many people take meds requiring refrigeration.

We're going to be traveling with our kids on the Liberty, and one of them has a med that requires refrigeration. Can we get a frig for medical reasons, or can they keep his med in the infirmary for us? We really can't just keep it on ice and risk it being too hot or too cold. This stuff costs more a month than our mortgage (thankful for our insurance coverage!), so we have to be very careful not to have any waste. I assume there has to be a way RCL would accomodate this, as many people take meds requiring refrigeration.

there are refrigs in your room. if i rememeber correctly, then were cool but not freezing. enjoy your cruise.

My husband uses meds that need to be refrigerated also. The fridge in the room isn't really cold, but he brought an icepak and put the meds and icepak into an insulated container that fit into the refridge.

Even though the icepak thawed, it still kept his meds cold enough. If you need a sharps container, call RCCL special needs and they will provide it.

Enjoy your cruise.

actually they don't have refrigerators on too many ships that I can remember....alot of ships have "cooling boxes" on most ships....they kinda keep your stuff cool...even turned all the way up...With expensive medicine like you describe...I would have your T/A get with special needs to have them put an actual refrigerator in your room that can get plently cool and not risk ruining your medication.Most meds have a certain temp indicated on the bottle it needs to be at.....good luck

when we were on AOS in May, when we first went to our stateroom, there was the normal "fridge" but in the Kneehole of the vanity unit there was a white fridge marked "Medical Refrigerator" after about an hour, a maintainance guy came and took it away, he said that it had been used by the previous guest. I would call RCI and ask them for a medical fridge in your room:D

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I figured there had to be a way to protect our "liquid gold". :rolleyes: (It's $17k-$24k/yr for 2 shots a week - figured somebody was probably wondering)

Rene' from RCL special assistance called, and I forgot to ask her the frig question. I'm supposed to call her directly when we get closer, so I can take care of it then. I know she thought I was asking my question about toradol shots a bit far out, but this is not going away.

Good guess, Katie, about the sharps container.

Archived