LAN CHILE or AA?

peterm

We plan a cruise from Santiago (Valparaiso) Chile to Ft. Lauderdale and have a choice of two Airlines: LAN Chile or American Airlines. LAN has newer, AA older planes, both leave MIA in the evening and arrive SCL early morning, but the LAN Chile flight takes 10 hours 25 minutes while AA takes only 8 hours 20 minutes. Can anyone explain the reason for the 2 hours time difference (both use usually 767 planes and both flights are supposed to be non-stop)?

We plan a cruise from Santiago (Valparaiso) Chile to Ft. Lauderdale and have a choice of two Airlines: LAN Chile or American Airlines. LAN has newer, AA older planes, both leave MIA in the evening and arrive SCL early morning, but the LAN Chile flight takes 10 hours 25 minutes while AA takes only 8 hours 20 minutes. Can anyone explain the reason for the 2 hours time difference (both use usually 767 planes and both flights are supposed to be non-stop)?

I fly that route to/from SCL at least 4 times per year. I have also wondered why the time difference. I have never really gotten a very good answer, even from one of AA's pilots. He simply stated "AA flies faster". And IIRC, LAN also does not have flyover rights through some of the small countries/islands on the way down and AA does. Which makes for a shorter route on AA.

If you don't mind the extra two hours, LAN's service and planes are far superior to AA's. And I am a VERY loyal AA flier. But if the price is not too much different, I take the LAN flights whenever possible.

FWIW, I agree with greatam. Lan Chile told me the longer time was lack of fly-over rights. Unless the extra flight time really bothers you, I would agree with the suggestion to take the LAN flight.

Paul

I have flown to South American on American Airlines planes and they have been fine. Personally, my choice would be a 2 hour shorter flight and I would rather go with a carrier that I am more familiar with.

But based on your other responses, sounds like either way you'll be fine.

Keith

We are flying to Buenos Aires in January (Wed) and out of Santiago on a Tuesday. I have noticed today that the flights are about 75.00 less than in previous weeks. Does anyone have any experience about how long to wait to book the flights? I know everything is a chance but I am thinking they won't go much lower. I have looked at the seating and they have alot of seats left. Can I ask what is the average you have paid going to Buenos Aires?

Thanks for any help.

We are flying to Buenos Aires in January (Wed) and out of Santiago on a Tuesday. I have noticed today that the flights are about 75.00 less than in previous weeks. Does anyone have any experience about how long to wait to book the flights? I know everything is a chance but I am thinking they won't go much lower. I have looked at the seating and they have alot of seats left. Can I ask what is the average you have paid going to Buenos Aires?

Thanks for any help.

My experience is that the prices usually do not go down. Many people go back there for the holidays and stay for a few weeks to visit family. I assume you are going late Janauary because normally things are fairly full thru say January 10th. What is the price? American Airlines?

Keith

Sorry for my shortcomings, Keith. I forgot to say that it was American Air out of Tampa. The price was 847.00 including taxes. Yes, it is the very end of January to BA and the middle of Feb. out of SCL to TPA. We decided to spend three nights in BA. Then on a cruise and 2 nights at the end in Santiago. I am having alot of fun planning things in BA. Haven't started looking at Santiago yet.

Thanks again.

S&B I flew there a couple of years ago on American Airlines and paid more money. True we started a little further away but your fare sounds great to me. I really don't see it going down so if it was me I would go ahead and book it. Fares can change on the dime so it's possible it will go back up.

Keith

Sorry for my shortcomings, Keith. I forgot to say that it was American Air out of Tampa. The price was 847.00 including taxes. Yes, it is the very end of January to BA and the middle of Feb. out of SCL to TPA. We decided to spend three nights in BA. Then on a cruise and 2 nights at the end in Santiago. I am having alot of fun planning things in BA. Haven't started looking at Santiago yet.

Thanks again.

That is a decent price. You are flying "high season" for South America. Buenos Aires is always high. The only way to save any money flying to BA is fly to Santiago, Lima or sometimes Rio and book a separate flight into BA.

Archived