New To Cruising And This Website

catpaw

In the short amount of time since I joined this website, I have learned alot. First, cruising seems to be more than cruising to many people--it is a life style. Secondly, tradition seems to be the name of the game. I asked the question yesterday about dress codes and thanks for the responses but I was certainly surprised to hear that I may, in fact, be denied access to certain areas of the ship if I am not dressed "appropriatly" on formal nights? Yikes!! That incites my rebellious ways but I will try and hold them in check. It just seems that my money spends just as well as everyone elses in tux and gown and when I pay to be on a ship I am assuming I am on the ENTIRE ship. I have done a fair amount of traveling (which is apparently different than cruising) and I always pack very light. Was hoping to do that for this trip but guess I will pack the accessories for the potato sack I was planning on wearing.

Trip is Barcelona to Venice on Nov 4, Millenium.

YOu can pack light by sticking to basic colors; do it all mix and match. You don't need a tuxedo or gown (dh s wearing a jacket, but loves a tux) to be allowed all over a ship, but surely you have something respectable that will not make you feel that you are denying who you are. As I said, dh won't wear a jacket and tie on any night; informal to him is a pressed short sleeve shirt and dockers.

We love cruising. Have not done as many as we would like but have enjoyed everyone for different reasons. The main attraction for us is that someone else drives, we never have to pack and unpack but we get to see lots of different sights and the sea days allow some much needed R&R time which is also a necessary part of vacation. I am sure you will have a great time. Of the lines we have travelled so far Celebrity is our favorite. We find the service superior and the food was excellent.

No need to become rebellious because of formal nights.

First, dress code applies for the main restaurant only. For the buffets, there is no dress code.

Second, Celebrity is a mid-level mass market cruise line. Most of your fellow passengers will be people from the middle-classes and they wear on the ship what they wear at home. Only a minority will wear a tuxedo (including me - I wear my tuxedo because it is the most comfortable piece of clothing just after the pyjama).

Third, since it is an American cruise ship, 80% of the passengers will dress American-style. This means, ladies quite updressed in long evening gowns with sparkles, and the gentlemen way behind... The few Europeans on board dress differently. You can easily spot them.

This is all for dressing after 6 p.m. Before six, on board and ashore, passengers wear the usual uniform of shorts, white tennis shoes and colorful (t-)shirts (even if it is cold and raining).

In the short amount of time since I joined this website, I have learned alot. First, cruising seems to be more than cruising to many people--it is a life style. Secondly, tradition seems to be the name of the game. I asked the question yesterday about dress codes and thanks for the responses but I was certainly surprised to hear that I may, in fact, be denied access to certain areas of the ship if I am not dressed "appropriatly" on formal nights? Yikes!! That incites my rebellious ways but I will try and hold them in check. It just seems that my money spends just as well as everyone elses in tux and gown and when I pay to be on a ship I am assuming I am on the ENTIRE ship. I have done a fair amount of traveling (which is apparently different than cruising) and I always pack very light. Was hoping to do that for this trip but guess I will pack the accessories for the potato sack I was planning on wearing.

Trip is Barcelona to Venice on Nov 4, Millenium.

Depending how long your cruise is, yes there will be 2 or more "formal" nights. See it as part of the game, travelling by ship always had a certain glamour. By paying/choosing for a certain cruiseline, you agree to some rules. Be it no to bring alcohol on board etc., and also the way to dress.

It is give and take.

Of course you are can go to "casual diner" during those formal nights, which is also very good.

You really donot have to carry a different outfit every night, one nice long skirt/dressy pants with different (or even the same) tops will be fine.

On the cruises we have made, I can say the majority of the ladies were dressed formal, most men wear a tuxedo or dark suit.

Enjoy your cruise.

It just seems that my money spends just as well as everyone elses in tux and gown and when I pay to be on a ship I am assuming I am on the ENTIRE ship.

What about the people in the tux and gown who paid for the specific experience they expected when they booked Celebrity vs another line with perhaps a more casual atmosphere? Their money is just as green as anyone else's.

First, dress code applies for the main restaurant only. For the buffets, there is no dress code.

Typically, X doesn't have buffets in the evening. They have a country club casual "experience" in the buffet area, with table cloths, menus and servers. There usually is the custom pasta station on the aft deck, along with pizza, burgers, and room service.

And not all X ships have specialty restaurants, though most do. Many are reporting that the dress code in those is the same as the main dining room now.

But this was an interesting and welcomed development (to me at least): it was reported that on Mercury's Alaska cruises there is a buffet set up in the main dining room on the evenings where the ship leaves port late (well after 1st seating). I know we are supposed to be in Juneau until 10pm, and we will miss our early dining so I planned on eating in town. Anyway, this may be a glimpse of things to come for port-intensive cruises like the Med.

What about the people in the tux and gown who paid for the specific experience they expected when they booked Celebrity vs another line with perhaps a more casual atmosphere? Their money is just as green as anyone else's.

I am quite sympathetic to that dilemma; my point is that I had no idea that cruising is such a team sport with rules, regulations, expectations of others, etc. Just seems odd to me--here in the 21C.

No need to become rebellious because of formal nights.

Second, Celebrity is a mid-level mass market cruise line. Most of your fellow passengers will be people from the middle-classes and they wear on the ship what they wear at home. Only a minority will wear a tuxedo (including me - I wear my tuxedo because it is the most comfortable piece of clothing just after the pyjama).

Third, since it is an American cruise ship, 80% of the passengers will dress American-style. This means, ladies quite updressed in long evening gowns with sparkles, and the gentlemen way behind... The few Europeans on board dress differently. You can easily spot them.

This is all for dressing after 6 p.m. Before six, on board and ashore, passengers wear the usual uniform of shorts, white tennis shoes and colorful (t-)shirts (even if it is cold and raining).

Yes, you can always spot we Americans, when traveling. We are the ones, poorly but comfortably dressed, spending money like crazy.

I am quite sympathetic to that dilemma; my point is that I had no idea that cruising is such a team sport with rules, regulations, expectations of others, etc. Just seems odd to me--here in the 21C.

I think the point is that there are other lines that are less formal than say Celebrity and HAL. Princess is a little less formal, and RCCL, Carnival, and NCL are much less formal with NCL being the least (they don't even have mandatory formal nights). Most of them offer pretty good cruise experiences, but it depends on what specifically you are looking for. Food? Service? Partying? Ship activites?

You have made an interesting observation. But I do not know what you mean by "... the gentlemen way behind." Can you explain? :confused:

As for Europeans dressing differently, I am afraid that I cannot spot them, as I am not sure what you mean here, either. On our five cruises, all Celebrity, I can not tell whether I am in the presence of beautiful Americans, beautiful Europeans, beautiful Australians or beautiful Canadians just by looking at them. I would love to know to what you are referring.:)

Hi:) that is why is good to do lots of research. There are many

cruiselines with lots of choices.

NCL is called "FreeStyle" you can wear whatever you want and

eat whenever you want. There is no formality at all. No, I haven't

sailed them but know people who have.

It is definitey casual....no need to bring any formalwear at all.

Yes, we are in the 21st Century but there are still those folks

who enjoy the formality Celebrity offers. Actually, there are many

passengers who wish they would enforce the dress code

much more.....it is definitely a topic of conversation on these boards.

I don't usually reply to those regular dress code threads but wanted

to let you know there are cruiselines who have no rules about

dress.

I can only speak for me and I love getting dressed up on formal

nights. It is far and few between that those ocassions happen

here at home and for me, its just fun:)

I am not going to tell you Celebrity is not for you, because

that gets thrown around on here much too often. But I will say

do your research~and there might be other options that

might fit your preferences better.

Enjoy your cruise, whatever you decide to do.

Archived