Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

My daughter, her Seeing Eye Dog, and I returned a couple of days ago from the Caribbean Princess. Thank you to all who provided information for each of the ports we traveled to. My daughter's dog was able to get off the boat at each of the ports without problems. Without all of your valuable information, we wouldn't have had what was needed.

Since this was the first cruise for my daughter's dog, it went fairly well. Not knowing exactly what to expect, we were a little surprised at a couple of things. Perhaps this is normal, but the mulch box was placed in an emergency stairwell at the end of the hall. The location was convenient because we were fairly close to the back of the boat but it wasn't convenient when we were out and about and needed to travel far for the bathroom. The stairwell was fully enclosed so it was kind of like telling the dog to go to the bathroom inside of a room. :eek: The mulch was only replaced once during our 10 day cruise. That was a little bothersome due to the smell. I had requested it be changed three days in a row before they did anything.

The one thing we didn't like was that the floor supervisor told us when we arrived that THEY take the dog to the bathroom and neither of us could come along. We said absolutely not - no one takes the dog out but my daughter. They compromised and said our room steward would have to accompany my daughter. I said he works long enough days without us having to page him at 1 am when we usually go to bed. The supervisor then gave us a second pager number to use when Nonato, our room steward, was off duty. The first night we paged at 12:15 am and it took 20 minutes for someone to come. Enough of that. The rest of the cruise we just took the dog ourselves. I think they were worried because the emergency exit we needed to use had a very heavy door and they didn't want anyone injured. Maybe this is normal but it really took us by surprise.

All in all the trip went really well. The dog was like a celebrity. My daughter even had tell people a different name for her dog than what it was. Everyone on the boat thought the dog's name was Malibu. The fictituous name came in handy as her name was called everywhere we went. The dog didn't even pay attention.

Thank you again for all the contributors on this message board!

Luanne

My daughter, her Seeing Eye Dog, and I returned a couple of days ago from the Caribbean Princess. Thank you to all who provided information for each of the ports we traveled to. My daughter's dog was able to get off the boat at each of the ports without problems. Without all of your valuable information, we wouldn't have had what was needed.

I'm glad you were all able to get off and have fun!

Since this was the first cruise for my daughter's dog, it went fairly well. Not knowing exactly what to expect, we were a little surprised at a couple of things. Perhaps this is normal, but the mulch box was placed in an emergency stairwell at the end of the hall. The location was convenient because we were fairly close to the back of the boat but it wasn't convenient when we were out and about and needed to travel far for the bathroom. The stairwell was fully enclosed so it was kind of like telling the dog to go to the bathroom inside of a room. :eek: The mulch was only replaced once during our 10 day cruise. That was a little bothersome due to the smell. I had requested it be changed three days in a row before they did anything.

That stinks about the enclosed stairwell for the potty area. I wouldn't have liked that! On my Royal Caribbean cruise they only changed the mulch once that week, too. (On my Carnival cruise I took my own potty with me, as I will also do on my next cruise. It goes on my balcony.) On the Royal cruise, they placed the box on the opposite end of the ship (my cabin was a few cabins from all the way aft and they put the box in the outdoor hallway to the helipad, which is all the way forward, plus five floors down from my cabin). That was not good placement, as I need it near the cabin.

The one thing we didn't like was that the floor supervisor told us when we arrived that THEY take the dog to the bathroom and neither of us could come along. We said absolutely not - no one takes the dog out but my daughter. They compromised and said our room steward would have to accompany my daughter. I said he works long enough days without us having to page him at 1 am when we usually go to bed. The supervisor then gave us a second pager number to use when Nonato, our room steward, was off duty. The first night we paged at 12:15 am and it took 20 minutes for someone to come. Enough of that. The rest of the cruise we just took the dog ourselves. I think they were worried because the emergency exit we needed to use had a very heavy door and they didn't want anyone injured. Maybe this is normal but it really took us by surprise.

What the?!?! You should write a complaint letter to Princess for them to even suggest that somebody else handle the dog!! That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Even Disney World employees cannot watch somebody's service dog so that the person can go on the rides the dog isn't allowed on (somebody in the disabled person's party must watch the dog, then do a rider switch). Not to mention how valuable these dogs are and the bond and commands and all that! And calling somebody every time the dog needs to potty? That's ridiculous! And that is not equal accessibility.

All in all the trip went really well. The dog was like a celebrity. My daughter even had tell people a different name for her dog than what it was. Everyone on the boat thought the dog's name was Malibu. The fictituous name came in handy as her name was called everywhere we went. The dog didn't even pay attention.

Thank you again for all the contributors on this message board!

Luanne

Glad you guys had a great time!! :D

Luanne: Yeh! I'm so glad that your first experience went fairly well. I love the idea of giving your dog another name. Some people can be so rude.....thinking that it's okay to distract a Service Dog by calling out it's name. Very clever of you. I've done that on occasion myself.

I think you handled the "ignorance" of the potty box perfectly. They should have changed the litter more frequently.

I actually like the placement to be in the stairwell. We always book aft, minisuites and I can go to the pottybox in my pajamas. It's private and keeps us out of the elements. I've been approached by the ships personal to take Brenny to the potty and I simply explain that we can not be separated and they back off!

We, too, have some weird hours and I like to be free to go when it's convenient for us "not them!"

I'm so glad that your cruise was a good one and I hope that you will have the opportunity to do it again. :)

Roz

Mornin' all:

We are in Des Moines IA, leaving for Wisconsin today. We had such a great visit with Trav's siblings (our other grandkids) that we put a bid in on a house, down the street from them! We plan on taking mom with us. There is plenty of room for her. i just hope she agrees. Will know today if buyer accepts.

Miss my girls terribly. Can't wait to get home to them. I don't think Jezzy Lou will be able to ride 1200 + miles in my lap, though. (If I'm driving) That could prove to be quite a trip!:eek: She did ride there on the way to the babysitter. She loves to stand in my lap with her little arms around my neck, dip the nose and look in my eyes. She looks like Inspector Clueso (sp). Travis says "Mom, I can't keep her in my lap." Will have to make safer riding arrangements for a long drive. Hate to crate her, that will be last resort.

Everyone have a great day.

The one thing we didn't like was that the floor supervisor told us when we arrived that THEY take the dog to the bathroom and neither of us could come along.

My wife has been using guide dogs for the past 20 years. Admittedly, we've always chosen to leave her dog with friends or family when we've cruised because of excursions we have chosen to do in ports, so we have never experienced any of the multitudes of configurations that I have read about for ship relief areas.

However, we faced a similar situation a few years ago in the airport when we asked about a relief area. We were told that an airline employee would take the dog alone down to the tarmac. Needless to say, my wife insisted on accompanying him and they relented.

Mornin' all:

We are in Des Moines IA, leaving for Wisconsin today. We had such a great visit with Trav's siblings (our other grandkids) that we put a bid in on a house, down the street from them! We plan on taking mom with us. There is plenty of room for her. i just hope she agrees. Will know today if buyer accepts.

Miss my girls terribly. Can't wait to get home to them. I don't think Jezzy Lou will be able to ride 1200 + miles in my lap, though. (If I'm driving) That could prove to be quite a trip!:eek: She did ride there on the way to the babysitter. She loves to stand in my lap with her little arms around my neck, dip the nose and look in my eyes. She looks like Inspector Clueso (sp). Travis says "Mom, I can't keep her in my lap." Will have to make safer riding arrangements for a long drive. Hate to crate her, that will be last resort.

Everyone have a great day.

Good luck on getting the house. Have a safe trip.

My friend Kay's memorial service was this evening. I took her daughter a picture I had taken that showed Crackers snuggled up next to her mom. All you could see of her mom was her hand resting quietly on Crackers. She really liked it and wanted to know when Crackers graduates. Several people asked me why I had not brought Crackers to the service.

I don't think Jezzy Lou will be able to ride 1200 + miles in my lap, though. (If I'm driving) That could prove to be quite a trip!:eek: She did ride there on the way to the babysitter. She loves to stand in my lap with her little arms around my neck, dip the nose and look in my eyes. She looks like Inspector Clueso (sp). Travis says "Mom, I can't keep her in my lap." Will have to make safer riding arrangements for a long drive. Hate to crate her, that will be last resort.

That is a very unsafe thing to do, for you, the dog, your other passengers, and everybody else on the road. Please don't drive with a dog in your lap! That causes car crashes. And even if you don't hit another car, a loose dog in a crash is like a bullet and can end up going through the windshield and landing on the pavement - or even hurting other passengers in the car, even decapitating them.

The only way a dog should ever ride in a car is buckled up with a car safety harness system or in a very sturdy crate (metal/wire preferred, as plastic crates can explode on impact). There are many dog restraints out, but those aren't tested for safety and can break with the force of a car crash. Look for the few systems that are actual safety harness systems.

Crates are good things for dogs (and cats), as they love being in small spaces. It makes them feel safe. There's nothing wrong with crating a dog and you should never feel bad doing so.

Stay safe! :)

I don't want to harp on this more, but I realized I forgot to mention the important issue of the airbag. Airbags are meant to protect full-sized humans. They can injure little people, children, and animals. Even seatbelted or crated dogs should never ride in the front seat unless the airbag is turned off (which some vehicles have the option for). Search YouTube for fire department airbag demonstration videos if you're unsure of how powerful they are. I've had one go off on me in real life and they are so quick you don't even see the bag as opened (just see its limp remnants after the blast of air). I got burned (similar to a rug-type burn, not a fire burn) on my hand (which was on the steering wheel) from the bag.

Hi All: I hope this finds everyone enjoying some of the "lazy days of summer!"

We entertained the children with an itinerary that would have weakened the strongest of souls. Go see Toy Story 3, it's an amazing move!

Karen: Your story of your friend Kay touched all of us. I know she was comforted by Crackers. She was very lucky to have you in her life.

Quam: I, too, have been in a very serious car accident. It's the major cause of my condition, today, which requires me to have a Service Dog. The air bag slammed into the side of my head and Morey's air bag truly saved his life. One day I'll share the horrific accident with all of you........it's a prime-time movie! Unbelievable!

Brenda has been taught by CCI to remain in a "down" position while in a moving vehicle.......however, when I need her assistance, in the car, she MUST be able to sit-up and alert me. Therefore, crating or tying her down would compromise both of us, even more. It's a unique situation but I know of many folks, just like me, who need their assistance dog to be able to reach them, even while in the car or other moving vehicle.

On a more positive note: We're booked for September 24th onboard the Sapphire to the Pacific Northwest [out of L.A.; we can drive to the pier].......I can't wait to see all the places we've been to, at least 100 times, but this time from the oceans point of view. I especially can't wait to cruise under the Golden Gate Bridge......[it's been on my "bucket list" for a very long time!]

Now, all I have left is cruising by the Statue of Liberty and I can rest on my "laurels!"

Everyone have a safe and lovely summer!

Roz & Brenny

Quam: I, too, have been in a very serious car accident. It's the major cause of my condition, today, which requires me to have a Service Dog. The air bag slammed into the side of my head and Morey's air bag truly saved his life. One day I'll share the horrific accident with all of you........it's a prime-time movie! Unbelievable!

Brenda has been taught by CCI to remain in a "down" position while in a moving vehicle.......however, when I need her assistance, in the car, she MUST be able to sit-up and alert me. Therefore, crating or tying her down would compromise both of us, even more. It's a unique situation but I know of many folks, just like me, who need their assistance dog to be able to reach them, even while in the car or other moving vehicle.

Alerting is not an excuse to risk your dog's life, your life, and the lives of others. Your dog can alert you while in a safety belt system. They can sit just fine, not just lay down. They can alert from a laying position even if that was true (which it isn't).

But, at least yours is a trained service dog, so isn't in your lap while driving or roaming around the car. You're still risking her safety/life and others' safety/life (a flying dog can hurt or kill) by not belting her in, though.

I know ppl with alert dogs who alert to many different things, including serious things, and they keep their dogs and others safe.

Also, some places have laws requiring dogs to be either belted in or in a crate. Service dogs aren't exempt, of course, since safety comes before other laws.

Roz, We would love to cruise with you someday. It would be a pleasure to meet you and Morey. Unfortunately I am like Morey and hate to fly. I would love to do an Alaskan cruise and John is pushing hard to do one. But that flight all that way makes me sick to even think about. Maybe someday...

Cindy

Roz, We would love to cruise with you someday. It would be a pleasure to meet you and Morey. Unfortunately I am like Morey and hate to fly. I would love to do an Alaskan cruise and John is pushing hard to do one. But that flight all that way makes me sick to even think about. Maybe someday...

Cindy

Yes, the Morey will NOT fly.......and, here's the best news....he HATES to drive, as well. So, I have become his source of entertainment, in more ways than one!!!!!!! Now, that's really funny!!!!!!! :D;)

I have to do some very creative thinking when it comes to cruising, which is why this Pacific Northwest cruise sounds so inviting, and on one of my favorite ships. I had to book it.

If you ever come on the west coast please let me know. CCI has a "trial" office that they're opening for the next two years in West Los Angeles, which is right around the corner from us [35 minutes away.] I hope it works out for them and they can afford to keep it open. It will bring a lot of CCI "stuff" close to us. Hopefully!

Alerting is not an excuse to risk your dog's life, your life, and the lives of others. Your dog can alert you while in a safety belt system. They can sit just fine, not just lay down. They can alert from a laying position even if that was true (which it isn't).

But, at least yours is a trained service dog, so isn't in your lap while driving or roaming around the car. You're still risking her safety/life and others' safety/life (a flying dog can hurt or kill) by not belting her in, though.

I know ppl with alert dogs who alert to many different things, including serious things, and they keep their dogs and others safe. Brenda MUST be in my vision [in the rear-view mirror] and that requires that she be sitting-up. She spends the majority of our road trips in a lying down position on the back seat, until I use a "key" word and then she immediately sits-up and prepares to alert. It's pretty amazing!

Also, some places have laws requiring dogs to be either belted in or in a crate. Service dogs aren't exempt, of course, since safety comes before other laws.

We have driven all across the United States/Canada/Mexico/Alaska and, in a rental car, in Switzerland/Paris/Germany and Italy. NO WHERE were we stopped from using our "alert" system with Brenny.

However, all that said I do appreciate your input. And, always want the safety of our assistants and our pets to be in our thoughts as we maneuver the highways/airways/railways and oceans.

My friend Kay's memorial service was this evening. I took her daughter a picture I had taken that showed Crackers snuggled up next to her mom. All you could see of her mom was her hand resting quietly on Crackers. She really liked it and wanted to know when Crackers graduates. Several people asked me why I had not brought Crackers to the service.

Karen, if you don't mind me asking, why didn't you take Crackers to the funeral?

Roz, We finnally signed up for a Princess cruise aboard the Crown. Hope it's a good ship. Miss Muff was very nice and very helpful. We explained to her that Valetntine was small and that we bring our own potty box, She was SHOCKED!!!! She did say that they will proivide the paper pellet litter that we use. Very nice. I'm excited to try a new line. Have been on Carnival, Royal. Costa, NCL, and nw Princess. Quite excited

I hope that it was a good choice. Sounds here that everyone here dnjoys it,

Roz' date=' We finnally signed up for a Princess cruise aboard the Crown. Hope it's a good ship. Miss Muff was very nice and very helpful. We explained to her that Valetnt[i']ine was small and that we bring our own potty box, She was SHOCKED!!!! She did say that they will proivide the paper pellet litter that we use. Very nice. I'm excited to try a new line. Have been on Carnival, Royal. Costa, NCL, and nw Princess. Quite excited[/i]

I hope that it was a good choice. Sounds here that everyone here dnjoys it,

Yeh!!!!!!! I'm responding from my DH's computer.

I'm so glad that you're booked. Where are you going and when?

I've heard that the Crown is a lovely ship. We have not been onboard her, yet. We're sticking to cruises that we can drive to the pier. Somewhat limiting but luckily Princess is opening-up some more cruises out of L.A. and, hopefully more on the west coast.

Allison Muff is a wonderful liason for Princess and has always been helpful to me and Brenny in making our cruising experience a good one.

Im sure Allison informed you of what paperwork you'll need.

You're so smart to have your pottybox set-up all done. It's so important.

We really like the Princess experience, both for us and for Brenny. They really have made us feel the most comfortable. Although, Carnival was pretty amazing on our cruise this past January.

Don't you just love the anticipation of an upcoming cruise?

Karen, if you don't mind me asking, why didn't you take Crackers to the funeral?

I don't mind you asking. A combination of reasons. He is still young and if he did start barking or acting up I would not want to take away from the special meaning of the service. Also, he get's a lot of attention and I wanted the ceremony to be for Melanie and her family.

However, a large group of us are participating in ALS walk in November. We are calling ourselves "Kay's Krusaders". If Crackers has not graduated by that time, I'll take him on the walk. The pavement should be cool enough by then and he is used to 3 mile walks with me. If he has graduated, I'll probably bring another dog.

I don't mind you asking. A combination of reasons. He is still young and if he did start barking or acting up I would not want to take away from the special meaning of the service. Also, he get's a lot of attention and I wanted the ceremony to be for Melanie and her family.

However, a large group of us are participating in ALS walk in November. We are calling ourselves "Kay's Krusaders". If Crackers has not graduated by that time, I'll take him on the walk. The pavement should be cool enough by then and he is used to 3 mile walks with me. If he has graduated, I'll probably bring another dog.

Of course. Thanks for sharing the information.

Brenda MUST be in my vision [in the rear-view mirror] and that requires that she be sitting-up. She spends the majority of our road trips in a lying down position on the back seat, until I use a "key" word and then she immediately sits-up and prepares to alert. It's pretty amazing!

Maybe you are using the word "alert" for something else? An alert is when a dog tells you you're going into a medical episode, such as about to have a seizure, diabetic low or high, etc. You don't use any commands for an alert.

My dog can both lay down and sit up just fine while buckled in, whether she is next to me (airbag off) or in another row of an SUV. She likes to sit sometimes, especially around those turns getting onto or off of a highway, but also just to watch the traffic and such sometimes (dogs get bored, too).

We have driven all across the United States/Canada/Mexico/Alaska and, in a rental car, in Switzerland/Paris/Germany and Italy. NO WHERE were we stopped from using our "alert" system with Brenny.

However, all that said I do appreciate your input. And, always want the safety of our assistants and our pets to be in our thoughts as we maneuver the highways/airways/railways and oceans.

I doubt you would be stopped. But, if you were stopped for something else in a place that requires dogs to be either buckled or crated, they might ticket you. That, of course, is not the majority of places, but there are some places and growing.

You know as we're talking about different modes of travel with our Service Dogs I can't even imagine what I'd do with a dog that got car sick or couldn't handle long road trips.

I'm sure the dogs who do get these types of reactions are pulled from the training programs.

I'm also planning our cruises for 2011 and Brenny will be 11 years old then. I sure hope she's still up for the cruising thing. I can't even imagine leaving her behind.....I don't think I'd want to cruise if she weren't part of it. I know I can always request a "successor" dog and retire her but as long as Brenny is healthy and wants to work I won't let it enter my thoughts too much.

Mornin; all:

Quam: I know it was not safe. I don't usually do it. I know you are just pointing out the carelessness of it, and I understand where you are coming from. Circumstances intervened and I know that is no excuse. We traded our truck in that week. When I went to put the crate in the SUV, it wouldn't fit. I had already talked to my babysitter about trading crates with her, for a medium sized one, but did not get a chance to get it done. I have already planned a different scenario for getting her home and riding safely in a crate.

We are still 1200 miles from home. Right in the middle of some what I would call moderate to severe storms. But then we hardly even get rain, much less sleet and hail! Hoping it dies down and doesn't lead us home.

Everyone have a great humpday.

Training Camp is next week. A very exciting and exhausting for 14 or so recepients and their families. Crackers is almost 14 months old and is doing so well in his training. He is not slated for a camp dog this month, certainly in September. He might be a back up dog though. While young, he is strong and confident. So..... maybe he will have a new forever friend in the next few weeks. I confess to some bitter sweet thoughts. I know in September he will be strong and ready, but I have seen young dogs go in the right circumstances. I will keep everyone posted. I think you have watched Crackers grow up along with me. We had a movie date today, but my MIL wasn't feeling well, so I switched plans and took her to the doctors instead. I'll confess, seeing "Karate Kid" with Crackers would have been more fun, but humans do take priority.

On a fun note, my daughter asked me why I wasn't going to see the new Twilight movie "Elicpse". Somehow, the idea of a young dog, a dark theatre, and wolves flying around the screen wasn't what I had in mind. We did laugh. Can you see the big golden standing and woofing at the movie screen!!!!

You know as we're talking about different modes of travel with our Service Dogs I can't even imagine what I'd do with a dog that got car sick or couldn't handle long road trips.

I'm sure the dogs who do get these types of reactions are pulled from the training programs.

I'm also planning our cruises for 2011 and Brenny will be 11 years old then. I sure hope she's still up for the cruising thing. I can't even imagine leaving her behind.....I don't think I'd want to cruise if she weren't part of it. I know I can always request a "successor" dog and retire her but as long as Brenny is healthy and wants to work I won't let it enter my thoughts too much.

Yeah, I'm sure dogs who can't handle cars are career-changed as either pets or full-time facility dogs (dogs who stay at a nursing home 24/7). Just like dogs with behaviour problems are career-changed to something more suitable.

It is hard to think about retiring our pups and having to work with a different dog!!! So many changes, for the dogs and the humans involved. :(