Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I mistakenly started a new thread asking the following question. I re-post the question here and hopefully someone can give me his first hand experience. Would I need an USDA health certificate to cruise on NCL to Alaska, with a stop in Canada port?

My original question:

am a bit confused as exactly what travel documentation would I need for traveling with a guide dog. We booked a cruise with Norweighen to Alaska with one port of call in Canada. NCL told me I would need a USDA health certifcate. When I contacted my Vet, he questioned me whether we really need an USDA health certificate. He said the USDA health certificate is mean for international travel, it would cost a lot more and take longer time to process. He said we probably just need a "regular" health certificate to travel to Alaska. Any one has first hand experience as I would need to travel to Alaska on NCL cruise ship? One more question, is a rabies certificate same as health certificate

Mornin all:

Master Lee: I don't have a service dog, just hang out with these great people. Stick around, there is a wealth of knowledge on this tread. The weekend is kinda slow, it may not be until Monday that you can get an answer.

Cindy: You are an independent woman again! Yeah. I am glad Wexy likes mama's new car. Can't go buying a car that the boy didn't approve of, now can we?

Roz: I wish I would have been with you when that manager got in your face and back you into a wall. He would have needed more than the police show up, he would have needed an ambulance! I am ok, until someone gets in my face or even thinks about backing me up in a wall/corner. I come out fightin'.

Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend.

Ops, had to go take care of a few things.

Guitarest: Blitz is a beautiful boy! My Reno use to do the same thing when I was upset he would come in and put his head in my lap. Then cock his head back and forth as I talked to him. I miss that boy! Hubby has always wanted a white German Sheperd. But we got our little Jezzy Lou the Terrier mix, instead. Couldn't love her anymore than we do, even with her issues. She is out growing those, good thing!

I believe you mentioned either living or visiting out in the Palm Springs area? We use to live in Blythe.

I mistakenly started a new thread asking the following question. I re-post the question here and hopefully someone can give me his first hand experience. Would I need an USDA health certificate to cruise on NCL to Alaska, with a stop in Canada port?

My original question:

am a bit confused as exactly what travel documentation would I need for traveling with a guide dog. We booked a cruise with Norweighen to Alaska with one port of call in Canada. NCL told me I would need a USDA health certifcate. When I contacted my Vet, he questioned me whether we really need an USDA health certificate. He said the USDA health certificate is mean for international travel, it would cost a lot more and take longer time to process. He said we probably just need a "regular" health certificate to travel to Alaska. Any one has first hand experience as I would need to travel to Alaska on NCL cruise ship? One more question, is a rabies certificate same as health certificate

The way I understand it is that when you cruise you are in international waters, therefore the international health certificate.

A rabies certificate is the paper you get when your dog is given a rabies shot. It's not a health certificate.

The way I understand it is that when you cruise you are in international waters, therefore the international health certificate.

A rabies certificate is the paper you get when your dog is given a rabies shot. It's not a health certificate.

I've never been on NCL, but the Health Certificate from our Vet and recent Rabies Cert. (Canadian Requirement) was all we have needed to sail multiple times to Alaska, as well as Canada/NE.

My original question:

My Service Dog Brenda has been on NCL. She's cruised to Canada and to Alaska.

In order for cruise ships to be able to cruise at all, they have to follow various laws and regulations, one of which is called the "Jones Act", which stipulates that they MUST cruise to a foreign port. Foreign ports are in "International Waters" because of this you MUST have a USDA Health Certificate [immigration will require it]. This cert. will show that your dog is on Heartguard and uses flea & tick abatement products and has had a recent exam by your Vet, and is healthy to travel.

When you are at the resgistration desk, before you board the ship, you will be required to present this Certificate.

Not all Vets are capable of providing you with the appropriate travel doc's. My Vet does NOT charge me for this cert. because Brenda is a Service Dog. Check with your Vet and see if he can even provide you with the cert. and, if so, ask that he give you a break because your dog is a Service Dog.

NCL is not asking for anymore than any other cruiseline is required to ask for.

Make 3 copies of your dogs paperwork. You can give one copy to registration [believe me it will save you the time that they take to find a copy machine], give one to the purser's desk and keep the original in the cabin safe and one on your person, to show to Immigration when you go into Port or upon your return to the ship after your visit to the port.

You may even be asked to show this paperwork again, when you disembark your cruise [there will be immigration officers awaiting the ships arrival.] You may be asked questions such as: "Where did you go in port?" "Did you visit a farm, or a dog sled area with your dog?" They may even want to check the pads of your dogs paws, to see if he/she is bringing back any creatures from a foreign port. This happened to us after our trip to Brazil and once after a cruise to the Mexican Riviera. You may encounter an overzealous officer or someone new.

Be ready for any and all kinds of questions. Have a wonderful cruise.

Have not posted recently, but, rest assured all is well here in the sunny south. Cooler continues to mature and gain command of her advanced commands. Next week she hangs with me for hosptial visitation and general running around. She was a super star at presentations during "exceptional childrens week" at all the loca schools. Calm and relaxed while on stage. Able to demonstarte basic manners and command

with a young man in his big wheel chair...always impresses the students. (which in the high school world is very special as those in wheelchairs or who have phsical and speech challenges, are not always appreciated).

In a few weeks I will have a special home visitor. Crackers has one siblings who has not graduated yet ( and she is super smart and super sweet...just hasn't met the perfect match). She get's to come home for a few days with me. She has a fabulous trainer and has had sooooo many home visits and exposures, but primarily with the same volunteer. It will be good to see how she does with another person, another household, a different personality.... Of course the girl actually knows me well as Crackers and I joined her and her special volunteer on many an outing. I love her almost as much and look forward to the visit. It will mostly be home vist and very focused outings...I'll keep everyone posted.

Did you guys see "What Would You Do?" on channel 7 this evening. It was wonderful......I think I cried my way through it.

It reminded me so much of my experience, where the manager of our local Souplantation tried to kick Brenda & me out by yelling in my face and backing me up against a wall. I loved, loved the show, it was wonderful. [For those of you who don't know the story....I called the police, the manager got fired and we go back to this restaurant all the time!]

Again, I wish the show was longer but the coverage of CCI and that beautiful dog "Hercules" were great representation of us all!!!!!

Yey! To all the strangers who stood-up for the handler and the dog! Bravo to ABC for giving us air time.

Go - CCI - Go!!!!!

Roz I was thinking of you through the whole thing. Remembering your horrible experience. We too have been in that situation but not as bad. I wished they had shown more of the CCI campus, but the trainer they interviewed was Wexlers trainer Lauren. It was awesome to see her on tv. I was also amazed at the people who stood up for this woman and her dog. Makes you feel good that there are people out there who will stand up for what they think is wrong or right.

Has anyone ever traveled via Amtrak to tour the country? I picked up a booklet the other day and some of the tours look really great. I know how potty boxes work on a cruise ship. I wonder how/where it would work on a train.

Very nice picture of the pup at the hockey game. We take fun pictures of Ollie and his adventures all the time too.

Have not posted recently, but, rest assured all is well here in the sunny south. Cooler continues to mature and gain command of her advanced commands. Next week she hangs with me for hosptial visitation and general running around. She was a super star at presentations during "exceptional childrens week" at all the loca schools. Calm and relaxed while on stage. Able to demonstarte basic manners and command

with a young man in his big wheel chair...always impresses the students. (which in the high school world is very special as those in wheelchairs or who have phsical and speech challenges, are not always appreciated).

In a few weeks I will have a special home visitor. Crackers has one siblings who has not graduated yet ( and she is super smart and super sweet...just hasn't met the perfect match). She get's to come home for a few days with me. She has a fabulous trainer and has had sooooo many home visits and exposures, but primarily with the same volunteer. It will be good to see how she does with another person, another household, a different personality.... Of course the girl actually knows me well as Crackers and I joined her and her special volunteer on many an outing. I love her almost as much and look forward to the visit. It will mostly be home vist and very focused outings...I'll keep everyone posted.

Sunshine, it's good to hear from you. It will feel so good to have a sibling of Cracker's with you. She sounds like a wonderful girl.

It took many matches for Brenda before she had I had the chance to meet each other. And, as I've said before, I wasn't crazy-in-love with her from the start but I was willing to give the relationship a try......and, I'm so glad I did.

It's somethng I encourage everyone who's going for a Service/Working Dog: Trust the trainers and their good decisions that you feel are being made for you. They're very good at what they do. They see something in the way that you and your dog show when you're together, that you may not see. Give the match a chance.....Brenda and I are proof positive that the system works.

Has anyone ever traveled via Amtrak to tour the country? I picked up a booklet the other day and some of the tours look really great. I know how potty boxes work on a cruise ship. I wonder how/where it would work on a train.

Very nice picture of the pup at the hockey game. We take fun pictures of Ollie and his adventures all the time too.

We traveled from San Luis Obispo to San Diego on Amtrak. I loved it and so did Brenda but the potty was a huge problem; It was cramped, difficult - [we would take her off the train when it made it's stops], but, the train only stops for minutes so it felt very rushed and it wasn't easy to do.

We used the handicapped rest room, which was large and I put down piddle-pads but Brenda wouldn't use them. If you get your own cabin/with bath, it's not big enough for any type of potty to be placed on the floor [at least not for a 70lb Lab].

The walkways are only big enough for one person to walk, if someone is walking towards you, one of you has to stop, lean against the walls of the train and allow the other person to pass. No way could your dog walk beside you. Brenda was always in front or in back of me. She handled the unsteadiness of the movement of the train very well. And, going into the dining car was difficult the first time and then became easier once we got the lay of the land and other folks got used to us.

I love train travel, I just don't feel much comfort for my dog for long distances. Going on short trips is a lot of fun, I love going from L.A. to San Diego onboard Amtrak.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz I was thinking of you through the whole thing. Remembering your horrible experience. We too have been in that situation but not as bad. I wished they had shown more of the CCI campus, but the trainer they interviewed was Wexlers trainer Lauren. It was awesome to see her on tv. I was also amazed at the people who stood up for this woman and her dog. Makes you feel good that there are people out there who will stand up for what they think is wrong or right.

I agree! I love these shows and could never get tired of seeing them!

Only once when I was in a California Chicken Cafe standing at the counter with Brenda [when the manager told me to tie my dog outside, there are no pets allowed in the restaurant] did another customer stick-up for me [an older man] who said, "this is a handicapped dog and it has the same rights we do, you can't kick the dog out!" The manager backed-off and I thanked the man for his support. It still felt bad but it ALWAYS feels so good when other people stick-up for us!!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

We travel Amtrak very regularly in the Northeast between Philadelphia/NYC/Washington. Those trips are great as they are only about 2 hours in length. Based on the size of our service dog, Amtrak requests that we call them when we purchase tickets and they arrange an extra seat without cost for Werin. This assists greatly with the space issue.

The longest trips we have taken on Amtrak have been 12 hours. In these cases we told the conductor what we needed and when we needed to have Werin toilet. Many times there are longer stops built into the trip to refuel, change equipment, or whatever. Those are the best for toileting since they are scheduled long stops. However, the conductor was very accommodating when Werin needed to go and would hold the train when she needed to.

The biggest problem we had was since Werin is trained for grass, not all platforms have grass nearby. If you are traveling in rural areas most stops don't have formal platforms and grass is nearby, but in the Northeast that is generally not the case. All big train stops have concrete platforms, which makes this difficult. The conductor can also assist with which stations are good for this purpose.

We have never done an overnight, but I would think you would need to plan out your stops for that first need in the morning and evening. With trains it is more difficult since you don't control the stops

That being said, the conductors and staff are VERY helpful. If you are at an origination point of a train, the Red cap will assist you in boarding the train before everyone else and getting a seat that suits your needs. Usually after we have called ahead they have the disabled seating at the end of the car reserved for us.

My original question:

Because you are going to Canada, which is not in the United States, you will need the International Health Cert. It has to be filled out by a Vet who is a USDA certified Vet. It is not the same as the rabies cert.

Did you guys see "What Would You Do?" on channel 7 this evening. It was wonderful......I think I cried my way through it.

It reminded me so much of my experience, where the manager of our local Souplantation tried to kick Brenda & me out by yelling in my face and backing me up against a wall. I loved, loved the show, it was wonderful. [For those of you who don't know the story....I called the police, the manager got fired and we go back to this restaurant all the time!]

Again, I wish the show was longer but the coverage of CCI and that beautiful dog "Hercules" were great representation of us all!!!!!

Yey! To all the strangers who stood-up for the handler and the dog! Bravo to ABC for giving us air time.

Go - CCI - Go!!!!!

I watched the show and thought it was great. I think Lauren, the trainer they interviewed was great too. I remember when you had your experience Roz. I know the restaurant manager was part of the show the other night, but I asked my wife what would have happened if someone would have tried to take Orson's leash out of my hand. She said it would not have been pretty. :eek: She was right.

But at least alot more people know that not all service dogs are see eye dogs.

I watched the show and thought it was great. I think Lauren, the trainer they interviewed was great too. I remember when you had your experience Roz. I know the restaurant manager was part of the show the other night, but I asked my wife what would have happened if someone would have tried to take Orson's leash out of my hand. She said it would not have been pretty. :eek: She was right.

But at least alot more people know that not all service dogs are see eye dogs.

When he took the leash away from the handler.......you should have heard the noise in our house....DH was yelling, "he can't do that!" I've yet to have that happen and, I know what I'd do if it ever does. The person who tries to separate Brenda from me, in that manner, will not see through two normal eyes again! :eek: :mad:

I once had a group of badly behaving teenagers who lured Brenda out from under our table onboard the Carnival Pride. I always tuck her leash under my leg and I could feel it slipping out and watched as she started walking towards this imbecile who was holding a piece of pizza and waving his hand at her! It was enough to entice her........I INSTANTLY corrected her and admonished the jerk!!!!!!

I've never been on NCL, but the Health Certificate from our Vet and recent Rabies Cert. (Canadian Requirement) was all we have needed to sail multiple times to Alaska, as well as Canada/NE.

I just call the Colorad USDA VS area office and was told I do not need a USDA health certificate to travel to Canada on a cruise ship.

I just call the Colorad USDA VS area office and was told I do not need a USDA health certificate to travel to Canada on a cruise ship.

Good! Now, check with the cruiselines. The one thing you wouldn't want is to have someone from the Immigration or Port Authorities office stopping you because you didn't have ALL your paperwork for your dog.

If the laws have changed for the need of our States Department of Food and Agriculture-Certificate For Interstate or International Movement of Small Animals papers, we should be told.

This form was required by Princess and Immigration officials, on our last cruise in November. And, Princess has requested it again for our upcoming cruise.

Are you informing us of a change in the requirements onboard all cruise ships? I find this most interesting.

Good! Now, check with the cruiselines. The one thing you wouldn't want is to have someone from the Immigration or Port Authorities office stopping you because you didn't have ALL your paperwork for your dog.

If the laws have changed for the need of our States Department of Food and Agriculture-Certificate For Interstate or International Movement of Small Animals papers, we should be told.

This form was required by Princess and Immigration officials, on our last cruise in November. And, Princess has requested it again for our upcoming cruise.

Are you informing us of a change in the requirements onboard all cruise ships? I find this most interesting.

Two years ago when we were at the USDA office picking up our Internation Health Cert. for our cruise we were talking to the person there about our future plans to do an Alaska cruise. He told us if we were leaving from or going to Canada, we would need the cert. So maybe things have changed. I would do alot of checking.

Two years ago when we were at the USDA office picking up our Internation Health Cert. for our cruise we were talking to the person there about our future plans to do an Alaska cruise. He told us if we were leaving from or going to Canada, we would need the cert. So maybe things have changed. I would do alot of checking.

Yes! Me too! Most importantly, I would check with the cruiselines Special Needs or Access Department.

Something I will always say about travel with a Service/Working Dog....ALWAYS have your "ducks [or dogs] in a row!"

There have been instances when folks have been denied access to their cruise because they forgot their Passport or proper I.D.

The Intl. Cert. is your dogs I.D. At least that's what I've known.

I called my Vet's office and Princess Cruiselines. They told me that the Certificate IS REQUIRED for transporting my Service Dog into and out of a foreign country and Canada is a foreign country.

I don't know who MasterLee spoke with but, please, be careful about having the proper documentation.

Call your cruiseline to be sure.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Yes! Me too! Most importantly, I would check with the cruiselines Special Needs or Access Department.

Something I will always say about travel with a Service/Working Dog....ALWAYS have your "ducks [or dogs] in a row!"

There have been instances when folks have been denied access to their cruise because they forgot their Passport or proper I.D.

The Intl. Cert. is your dogs I.D. At least that's what I've known.

I called my Vet's office and Princess Cruiselines. They told me that the Certificate IS REQUIRED for transporting my Service Dog into and out of a foreign country and Canada is a foreign country.

I don't know who MasterLee spoke with but, please, be careful about having the proper documentation.

Call your cruiseline to be sure.

Excellent to know -- I'll check with my vet's office to ensure that the health certificate they give us is the official intl. one mentioned on all the sites. Good discussion and very relevate to our next Princess cruise in June.