Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Welcome back Sunshine!!! Of course we missed you and Roz. So glad you had a great time. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, I'm sure the guys will appreciate you two more.

I only wear makeup for formal nights(even though it doesn't help), live in t-shirts and shorts and talk like a truck driver, I think Roz would be shocked to meet me! :eek:

We are so used to being mobbed by people on the cruise, we just go with the flow. Wex is such a social dog, we would never deny him pats from anyone, unless they are a pain and rude!

TICKS Brenny??? Never heard of them asking to check the dog. Maybe its a new thing.

Roz would be impressed that I slept until 10:30 this morning. Of course that is 7:30 west coast time and the latest I ever managed to sleep! The house is rocking, but what else is new. Laundry is going, Rich and I off for groceries in a minute. Back to routine.

First Impressions of Walking with a Service Dog. Of course I have had some experience with it from working with the pups, but day in and day out is another story. I actually enjoyed it as I felt like I had some celebrity status. The cruise director even greeted me by name after the meet and greet. And I could always strike up a conversation anywhere, and could easily track down Brenda and Roz when I wanted to meet back up. But, the potty question did get old. I never tired of talking about Brenda, service dogs in general and tried to impress correct etiquette whenever I could tactfully. Like it really is not nice to ask someone what is wrong with them!

Roz was wonderful. Like the big sister I never had. People who know me well would think I would have been tired of her advise or reminders, but I found them charming. Towards the end of the cruise I was trying to figure out ways to set her off. My bedside table got messier and when I hung my bathing suit up inside out, whew.....I was behaving like a little sister and having a bit too much fun with it. She shared Brenda graciously and charmed our table mates as well.

Brenda is as wonderful as Roz describes. She decided that snuggling with me on the bed was pretty good and I loved it when I could get her to "scamper" to me. If I was gone for more than an hour from them she would greet me with such wiggles and warm eyes. Her teeth sparkle, so I might have to try the chewies Roz get's her on my Sandy. (After her allergy tests though as they have beef in them).

Welcome back Sunshine!!! Of course we missed you and Roz. So glad you had a great time. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, I'm sure the guys will appreciate you two more.

I only wear makeup for formal nights(even though it doesn't help), live in t-shirts and shorts and talk like a truck driver, I think Roz would be shocked to meet me! :eek:

We are so used to being mobbed by people on the cruise, we just go with the flow. Wex is such a social dog, we would never deny him pats from anyone, unless they are a pain and rude!

TICKS Brenny??? Never heard of them asking to check the dog. Maybe its a new thing.

It was a great cruise and I can't wait to do it again!! I'm getting my land legs back and Brenda's back on her normal schedule.

I bought a lot of formal pictures of Brenda, with her different colored, collars on - so cute! The other dog onboard had his tuxedo on....just like the one you sent me. I can't wait to put it on Successor. One of my favorite things to do is to dress Brenda in a different collar every day.

We really have to talk about the Princess Theatre and the Service Dog............

Unlike Carnival/Celebrity/Holland America and a few other ships Princess has "theatre syle" seats only in their main showroom. There are no "bench" type seats. So, to find a seat in a safe spot where Brenda would not be stepped on can be difficult. And, being a black dog makes it even more tough. You have to be careful about where you place your dog so he/she doesn't get run over by walkers and wheelchairs, too! Brenda's learned to move herself but younger dogs who have not been as exposed to these folks might need some help getting used to them. I carry some "caution tape" with me and try to put it up around Brenda so she can be seen in the dark.

Meeting you, John and Wexy is something I really look forward to. Who bother's to care what other folk's wear.....I'm way too concerned about myself to be so consumed about others!

We all have our own "habits" and wearing makeup and being who I am is pure habit. I hope I didn't drive Sunshine too nuts. I'm constantly primping and "picking" at Brenda to remove lint, straightening her vest & collar, cleaning the tears & "junk" around her eyes and picking stuff off her that gets stuck on her fur when she's laying under a table. Brenda's used to my "fussing" poor Sunshine is not!

Hey, I'm a Virgo.....it's in my blood to be a "fuss-budget!"

Ha Ha Ha! Fussing over Brenda is something we both did! She got used to me checking her for non existant mats and looking at her ears daily! She had one "Aunty" on board who spoiled her in the cabin, but behaved in public and one "Mommy" who spoiled her in the cabin, but behaved in public...that doesn't sound too exciting, but too true. And Roz you can fuss all you want. I just took off for the Horizon Court and luckily the scales were on my side with only 1.5 lbs up! Considering the cocktails and bacon every morning, not so bad....

Ha Ha Ha! Fussing over Brenda is something we both did! She got used to me checking her for non existant mats and looking at her ears daily! She had one "Aunty" on board who spoiled her in the cabin, but behaved in public and one "Mommy" who spoiled her in the cabin, but behaved in public...that doesn't sound too exciting, but too true. And Roz you can fuss all you want. I just took off for the Horizon Court and luckily the scales were on my side with only 1.5 lbs up! Considering the cocktails and bacon every morning, not so bad....

You walked so much, every day. Your cardio workouts were amazing!!!!

Thank you for being such a wonderful Auntie Sunshine to Brenda. I knew I could count on you for the "leash handoff!" She loved all your attention. And, I know she misses your "puppy voice!"

Take good care of you!

Love,

Roz & Brenny

We all have our own "habits" and wearing makeup and being who I am is pure habit. I hope I didn't drive Sunshine too nuts. I'm constantly primping and "picking" at Brenda to remove lint, straightening her vest & collar, cleaning the tears & "junk" around her eyes and picking stuff off her that gets stuck on her fur when she's laying under a table. Brenda's used to my "fussing" poor Sunshine is not!

Hey, I'm a Virgo.....it's in my blood to be a "fuss-budget!"

We are just like you Roz when it comes to fussing with the dog. He always has little white "eye snots" as I call them, and they drive me nuts! His jacket is always crooked cuz I leave it to loose for when he is down. I guess we want them to look perfect! :D

What chewies do you give Brenda??

Edited by rangeley

We are just like you Roz when it comes to fussing with the dog. He always has little white "eye snots" as I call them, and they drive me nuts! His jacket is always crooked cuz I leave it to loose for when he is down. I guess we want them to look perfect! :D

What chewies do you give Brenda??

"Eye Snots", yeah that's what they are!

Brenda gets Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews. I buy them online from EntirelyPets.com. You can't find them in pet food stores. Some Vets offices sell them. They're a bit pricey but they really work on keeping her gums/teeth and breath clean. CCI recommended them when we were graduating with her in 2002.

And, Brenda's vest is always slipping off to the side. I had to ask Sunshine to help straighten it out a few times - poor girl, got the full treatment on what it's like to walk with a Service Dog!

I know I'm the worst for trying to figure out how to post pictures....but if you go to the Roll Calls - Sapphire Princess -9/24/2011 Early Birds Unite and go to Pg. 167, #3321 one of our Meet & Greet folks posted pictures of us.

Sunshine is the one kneeling down with Brenda and I'm in the back/middle with the green blouse on.

Someone sent me pictures of the Team Training class, from CCI, that graduated, yesterday. The dogs are so cute. I'm getting closer!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Nice pics you two. Nice to actually see the both of you.

Did I read Sunshine is going to cruise Jan or Feb?? Hmmmmmmm Jan 8th western caribbean on Celebrity sounds good Sunshine!! :D

Roz I'm going to check out those chews. Wex needs any help he can get!

Well I ordered 2 bags of the chews. I got the large because you got 30 and only 15 for the x-large ones. They were on sale for 11.99 and then I got a code for free shipping. We will see how they work.

We will also be getting Wexs halloween costume today and I will take pics. The kids are already asking John what he's going to be. They love to see him dressed up.

Welcome back yall. Just a little update with my issues with HUD, and ADA with the former apartments I used to live at. I spoke with HUD today and even though I originally accepted a offer I have pulled that off the table again. Its been over a month and the apartment complex which is part of a larger corp, did a few legal manovers over the month. Rather than get signatures and cut a check they desolved the former company and created a new company so that the upcoming punishment in regards to required training and other required items would not have to be completed since it is at least on paper a new company. HUD did not know this, so they are moving forward to complete this investigation of me being evicted because my service dog is a German Shepherd. I understand its not illegal to do what they did but it is very immoral. I have a appointment with lawyers at JAG in the morning to see what my legal rights really are. It took me forever to find that post from June/July that had the info on it. I finally located it and have been on the phone all day trying to get this issue resolved. My final remarks to HUD (their manager for Mississippi) was I feel as if we have forgotten that I am the victim here. From being a 100% DAV, the correct paperwork, loads of witnesses who backed me up and finally all the physical pain from the Vascular Ulcers and finally my newest medical issues with the better leg who now has Heel Spurs because I babied the left leg. All I can say is thank God for Blitz because without him life would be so much more difficult....

Well I ordered 2 bags of the chews. I got the large because you got 30 and only 15 for the x-large ones. They were on sale for 11.99 and then I got a code for free shipping. We will see how they work.

We will also be getting Wexs halloween costume today and I will take pics. The kids are already asking John what he's going to be. They love to see him dressed up.

I also get the extra large and sometimes cut them on our paper-cutter at work because they're so humungous!!!!!!

Maybe John can take them to work with him and have them cut into thirds for Wes. Not only does it stretch them but she [Miss Senior Dog] can chew them easier. Cindy, you really have to stay with Wex when he's chewing them because sometimes they want to swallow them before they've really chewed them well and will choke. Brenda chokes on them and then brings them back up to re-chew and swallow again. The more they mash them around in their mouths the more the enzyme is released. I take them on all our travels....Brenda really loves them!!!!!! And, I'm going to give them to "Successor too!"

My Vet has always been impressed with the cleanliness of Brenda's teeth/breath and gums. All my friends at work use them for their dogs.....I should be getting a kick-back from the company!

WOW...maybe now I can get a word in edgewise. :D Welcome back you guys. Sounds like you had a great time. Can't wait to hear more about the trip and maybe even see some pictures.

I took lots of pictures and bought so many formal ones. Some with Sunshine, me and Brenda and most with just Brenda. I have one of all three of us on the floor with Brenda that is so cute. I will try and post them. Or, just follow my instructions [as Cindy did] and you can see us at the Meet & Greet!!!!

We had a great time and met some really wonderful folks.

Going under the Golden Gate Bridge was everything I thought it would be and MORE! It was absolutely, breathtakingly, thrilling!!!!!!

I'm so glad I'm booked again, on this cruise, for March 24th. I can't wait to do it again!!!!!!

All I can say is thank God for Blitz because without him life would be so much more difficult....

Oh! Jocko! I'm so sorry you're going through so much. I wish you brighter and more carefree days ahead.

Hang in there......it can only get better for you. Give Blitz an extra long hug! Through it all he's THERE for you!!!!

I also get the extra large and sometimes cut them on our paper-cutter at work because they're so humungous!!!!!!

Maybe John can take them to work with him and have them cut into thirds for Wes. Not only does it stretch them but she [Miss Senior Dog] can chew them easier. Cindy, you really have to stay with Wex when he's chewing them because sometimes they want to swallow them before they've really chewed them well and will choke. Brenda chokes on them and then brings them back up to re-chew and swallow again. The more they mash them around in their mouths the more the enzyme is released. I take them on all our travels....Brenda really loves them!!!!!! And, I'm going to give them to "Successor too!"

My Vet has always been impressed with the cleanliness of Brenda's teeth/breath and gums. All my friends at work use them for their dogs.....I should be getting a kick-back from the company!

Bailee and Rangeley would try to swallow the chews as soon as they could fit down their throat and like Brenda they would gag them up a few times. Wex is the best chewer I have ever seen! you should see him chew a cookie, he puts his head up in the air so he doesn't drop a bit and chews to death. It's so funny. He is always in the room with us when he eats one anyway.

Bailee and Rangeley would try to swallow the chews as soon as they could fit down their throat and like Brenda they would gag them up a few times. Wex is the best chewer I have ever seen! you should see him chew a cookie, he puts his head up in the air so he doesn't drop a bit and chews to death. It's so funny. He is always in the room with us when he eats one anyway.

I can just picture him....that's so funny!!!! I'm saving the really thick one's that Brenda just can't chew anymore for "Successor!". She just hasn't got the strength in her jaws like she used to. I used to give them to one of our guards who has 3 pitbulls.....now, I'm saving them for my new kid. Sometimes I'll leave the room, while she's chewing one and go somewhere else in the house, only to run back into the room because she's gagging so loudly, scares the bejeebers out of me!!!! Once, Morey had to pull one out of her throat! She's such a Lab!!!!!!

Our weather here in Calif. is so weird today.....we have a coldfront coming in and bringing some rain with it. I'm so glad it didn't do this last week.

I've got to remember it's time for Heartguard and Advantix tonight. Pretty soon I'll be doing it for two.

Did you see the pictures of the graduating class at CCI, in Santa Rosa, this past weekend? The dogs are so cute!!!!

Had a great day with Mackey and Cooler. Two baths, two outings, and lot's of smiles and hugs from me and the dogs. Mackey grew in the past week. He did so well at his outing. And Cooler seems to be growing out of her forging. Walked nicely, whew....

Right back on track......life is good!!!!!

I have to share, I tell ya God sent me the perfect pup for sure. we went to a local event called Cruising the Coast. Its all older cars and they had a parade in my local area. I got permission to park in a reserved area due to my handicap plates and these guys know me (more Blitz).

I sat down near the location where the cars were going to go by, loads of people had to come by and pet Blitz. Almost forgot Blitz got loads of Mardi Gras necklaces thrown to him. One lady bought Blitz a Burger, another got him some water; ***** what about me...... lol So many people love him; its not too often at least in this area you see a GSD Service Animal. We got up and it took over a hour to get to the car; more people loving on Blitz. Blitz got his picture taken by the Official event photographers, the local media, and many people who just love German Shepherds. I am a recluse most the time. He is doing everything in his power to fix that for me. I love this dog more than any I have had in the past; they are not even on the same level or league. I can't wait to see the pictures on the websites....

Edited by guitarest

388496165_PacificCoastalCruise001.jpg.ac2bdbe976a1790503a337520d51984e.jpg

Trying out attaching a picture. crossing my fingers.

OK, I think I have it. This wasn't the picture I was going to post, but she sure is cute anyway. This is my other daughter: she kept me entertained in LA

Edited by sunshine426