Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

On deck right outside our room, seeking out a patch of sunshine for a black-dog-snooze. You'd think she would get too hot, but she loves the sun.

We've always liked Holland America's broad teak promenade decks, this trip especially, since the relief box was located on this deck all the way forward. Very convenient.

On%20Deck_zpstptvnotn.jpg

Ah now this is what cruising is all about - it's funny they all love a snooze in the sun despite the "mad dogs and Englishmen out in the mid-day sun!" LOL!

Lovely photos :). Thank you for sharing.

Where is Her Majesty? I hope she's not working too hard! ;):eek:

DKD - how you doing? You know why I'm asking, I know the D-Day is soon. I got word that Aruba will definitely be going to formal training in June - I'm absolutely dreading it, like you with your boy, but I want her to do well too! (She's going in for her spay op in 2 weeks time).

Anyway there will be a visit to the training centre to see her "working" and then a few weeks later an open day which will hopefully be another opportunity to see her. Seeing these photos of Raylene with Chris are just wonderful and that's what it's all about and also knowing how much you love that girl Chris, makes me hope Aruba will have as much love with her new Mum or Dad. And we all know how much that gorgeous boy Jagger is going to be loved - well actually is loved already! And love knows no bounds with H.M. And her boy Prince Horton. :D

Have a great weekend everyone. :)

The pictures are spectacular......I love them! The faces, those eyes and seeing Raylene onboard a ship makes my heart sing!

I'm afraid I'm getting so used to having Horton onboard with me that I'm not taking as many pictures as I should. He, too, loves the sun and will bask in it until his black fur is steaming hot!!!!! I've learned to leave him until he gives me the "ear-shake" and then we move! He really prefers the coolness of air conditioning mostly, just like his mom!

Jagger has those eye stares down pat. I'd "fall-for-the-fur" so quickly if I looked too long. Horton does the "stare-down" thing with me and I love it! Brenda didn't like to stare into my eyes for too long......she NEVER wanted me to have complete control, ever!

Ahhhhh! Davis and Aruba are both getting ready for their journey to formal training. They've had the benefit of great love and affection, now the most difficult part of their amazing lives will soon begin. I can't help but get teary-eyed thinking of how you both have worked so hard and put so much love and joy into your dogs! DKD is an old hat at doing this but Fairbourne you're new at this and I want you to know how proud I am of what you've done for Aruba and how you've prepared her for her life's work! You both should be very, very proud of what you've accomplished!

You and DKD are the true heroes on this board.......I love you both for raising and loving these wonderful dogs so that they may help others to have the partnership and the chance to have full and complete lives, something that I've been so lucky to enjoy for the past 13 years with my Brenda and now Horton.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Says Raylene: I was hoping for a towel dog when the bed was turned down, but a towel elephant appeared on my sofa instead. What's with that? towel%20Animal_zpscrysa1ic.jpg

Thanks for sharing the pictures - looks like you both had a wonderful cruise.

Dianne

Update...Raylene and I noticed on our walks this week that the lawn around the tiny Terrorista (Poodle)'s house has lots of white marker flags, which I'm guessing is a new "invisible fence" collar system.

I hope so - and hope the owner takes the time to train the dog for the fence!

[/b]

Roz,

Time to comment.

Why do we love our two mini schnauzers? Because as you say they look similar but have totally different (unique) personalities like people, but thank goodness that's where the comparison stops.

The two pooches are loving and giving and, the best part, they aren't duplicitous, nasty, or any other negative characteristics of humans.

Welcome back home and welcome back to this wonderful thread.

Walt[/color]

Thanks so much Walt.

I'm home, sitting, recouping from the work week and cruising [not necessarily in that order!]

Horton is laying at my feet and so grateful that there are no expectations of him today, except to just relax.

I hope you're having a restful weekend with your precious furbabies.

My brother booked a family cruise for Thanksgiving. When I say family...I mean a lot of family. His biological father passed away last year and he wanted to do this in memory of his father. He's paying for 11 of us. Such a sweetheart...I have a great family. It will be one aunt, two uncles, my father, my mother, my sister, my brother, my son, two nieces, one nephew, 18-20 or so cousins...

We will be cruising on Celebrity CL, so watch out Celebrity Reflections...my family is taking over. :eek:

Anyways, I'm a disabled military veteran with my service dog, a Dutch Shepherd named Dobby.

We'll be stopping in San Jaun, PR; St. Maarten, and St. Thomas. I've skimmed about half the pages of this thread, but 718 pages total are a lot to cover, so I just want to see if what I've found is correct for our ports as far as excursions and permit requirements go.

At minimum, I should have the following:

WHAT HAS BEEN ASKED FOR:

1. RABIES INFORMATION (Expiration Date;Tag#;Serial #;Type of Vaccine) - Got it; three year vaccine done at the end of March 2015.

2. RABIES VACC. CERT.(This Cert. has all the info. of the Vet & the VACC) - Got it

3. ANIMAL LICENSE (from the city in which you live.) My county/city doesn't require an animal license...it's a small, pretty rural area so it's optional to get one. If absolutely required, I can get one from the vet. I already asked them about it.

4. STATE DEPT. OF FOOD AND AGRICULTURE CERT. (from your vet.) - Will get closer to the cruise date from the USDA vet. Will be arranging any necessary testing in July or so, if needed.

5. DOGS PERMIT/LICENSE WITH NUMBER (from training/service agency.) - Have state service dog certification tag and card.

6. YOUR PASSPORT/DRIVERS LICENSE - Have DL and Passports on order

Has anyone traveled to the ports listed above and needed anything else?

Click here to see my wonderful Dobby.

Edited by Millerck
Add photo of Dobby

Have you contacted Celebrity?? And if you are flying the airlines?

I have and they weren't much help on the individual ports. Just stated that I needed an APHIS 7001 for San Juan. Didn't have much info for St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

Airlines are covered if I don't want to ride down with family. It's just a two hour flight to the port and never had issues with the airlines when we've gone anywhere else.

I have a question. Do any of you use dog boots, and if so what kind?

I live in Florida, so don't need cold, ice, or salt protection. I need the kind that protect from the hot pavement and sand. (and ship decks). Any input or thoughts on what works best?

Dobby is beautiful! Welcome - Thank you for your service to our country. Your brother sounds great!

I'm not an expert but..Sounds like you're in good shape so far for your itinerary on Celebrity. We traveled with them to St. Croix (USVI just as St. Thomas is), San Juan and St. Maarten in December. I also have no city/town license or tag, just the state's tag as a registered service dog.

The USDA APHIS form is good for 30 days, so you can visit a USDA-Certified vet a couple of weeks before you sail for a simple exam and the form 7001 (available online - I fill it out online, print and take it to the vet as a time-saver, others have the vet fill it out.) The form should include the details on the rabies inoculation, and dog's microchip number. Bring that as well as the actual rabies certificate to the ship with copies to give them when you embark. My belief is - the more info, the better - so I bring copes of more than they ask for.

7001 is an export form, and in the consignee box, the USDA vets put "Celebrity (ship name) Cruise" and the ports visited.

The local USDA vet signs on the lower right, and the USDA APHIS office for your state can endorse and countersign on the left. (My state of NC no longer does this in Raleigh, NC, and it had to be sent to Albany, NY - so you want to find out which office handles your home state.) Endorsing sn't always needed, but I'd rather have it than wish I had done it. You can do it in person or send by overnight delivery with a return overnight envelope enclosed.

San Juan and St. Thomas are under the US flag, of course, so ADA rules apply. St. Maarten has a pet import form you can fill out (no endorsements needed) and take along, but I was never asked for it on my Celebrity cruise. If you can't find it by searching this thread (Quampatetet posted it) , let us know and I can post it again.

You will want to call Celebrity a month before sailing and remind them you have the dog and want sod or mulch for the relief box (they say they can do either, we had mulch which was fine.) We ask for a table against a wall or in a corner, which cuts down on the tail-stomping from foot traffic, and reconfirm with the dining room managers.

Have fun in November! But you can also join the fun here in the meantime.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

I live in Florida, so don't need cold, ice, or salt protection. I need the kind that protect from the hot pavement and sand. (and ship decks). Any input or thoughts on what works best?

I'd be interested in the answer, too. I was concerned walking on the long pier in St. Maarten about the heat on the paws.

And we are moving to Florida! Our NC house is under contract, and we have signed the papers to buy on the Gulf Coast below Sarasota! We must rendezvous with the pups someday, Holly.

I'd be interested in the answer, too. I was concerned walking on the long pier in St. Maarten about the heat on the paws.

And we are moving to Florida! Our NC house is under contract, and we have signed the papers to buy on the Gulf Coast below Sarasota! We must rendezvous with the pups someday, Holly.

That would be great meeting up with the puppies!

My state of NC no longer does this in Raleigh, NC, and it had to be sent to Albany, NY - so you want to find out which office handles your home state.)

Thank you for all the wonderful information.

The NC thing is good to know since that is where I'm at. :) Just for endorsement sake, and to cover my butt, I'll see if Florida's USDA will do it and have it sent to my parents for them to bring when we meet at the port. If not, maybe another surrounding state. It may end up going to Albany.

I checked the St. Maarten site and they state, "Animals are admitted temporarily to the island with the following papers: a health certificate dated no more than 10 days before visit and a record of inoculations, including a rabies shot administered no more than 30 days before visit."

So, we'll be good to go. No major testing required and it looks like minimal paperwork.

We use boots called Muttluks on my daughter's service dog when we go to Disney World. In order to get the dog used to them, put them on him/her and immediately take them outside for a walk. They will walk funny for a while, then they should get used to them. We have puppy raiser friends that use Mushers Secret balm to coat the dog's pads instead of the boots. They swear by it. We are going to try it next month in Disney World.

http://www.muttluks.com/