Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Yes, you're right, NC does have a law for the part about businesses denying entry, but I can't recall anything about penalties for fake dogs. I've packed my little 50-state law summary book, or I'd look it up!

The state registration wasn't a requirement, but when the trainer was here delivering Raylene for her week with me in NC, we downloaded the application so she could fill in key parts and sign it. I'm glad we did, because the state sent a registration tag and a letter which I have included with my cruise paperwork. I don't think Florida has a similar state registration.

Holly, do you know?

Hey here is the NC law and penalty - it is a Class 3 misdemeanor to falsely disguise a dog as a service dog:

It is unlawful to disguise a dog as an assistance dog, or to deprive a visually impaired person, a hearing impaired person, or a mobility impaired person of any rights granted the person pursuant to G.S. 168-4.2 through G.S. 168-4.4, or of any rights or privileges granted the general public with respect to being accompanied by dogs, or to charge any fee for the use of the assistance dog. Violation of this section shall be a Class 3 misdemeanor.

not sure if this has ever been enforced in NC..., but it's a pretty good law.

When you graduate from CCI you are given a lamenated ID with yours and your dogs picture on it with a date of Expiration.

If the Federal Government would require such an ID card be carried by ALL who walked or wheeled with a Service Dog there would be less chances of frauds.

Oh! Sure, there would still be the "jerks" who would try to pass their pet off as an SD but it wouldn't be as easy!

It's hard work bringing a Service Dog into the public venue. I always have to look out for me and my dog....where we walk; looking for discarded food, making sure he's walking right beside me, not sniffing, or being distracted. Looking out for strays and making sure that the ground he's walking on is safe for him, allowing him time to go to the bathroom before we enter an establishment, being careful of where he is to lay down and on and on!!!

When I'm invited to dinner with friends, the first thing they always say to me is; "the place we've chosen for dinner has lots of room for Horton to lay down and be safe!"

Edited by wizard-of-roz

He's got such a dear face - I bet you two haven't stopped cuddling yet! :D

I just love the way the older dogs just take the Young Uns in their stride.

He has those wonderful soulful eyes.

It simply amazes me how these dogs allow the young ones to intrude on their space. Everyone was so worried about Brenda and Horton......Easy-peasy, she gave him a loooooong, cool stare and he knew when to back-off!!

Look what a difference a year makes! :D All grown up and ready for her next adventures. :D "We" had our regular assessment with the trainer yesterday and "we" did very well. I have it on good authority that all her siblings are doing great at the training school, so let's hope Aruba continues the family tradition! :D I love this girl.

image.jpg3_zpsfoxwmuov.jpg

When you graduate from CCI you are given a lamenated ID with yours and your dogs picture on it with a date of Expiration.

If the Federal Government would require such an ID card be carried by ALL who walked or wheeled with a Service Dog there would be less chances of frauds.

Oh! Sure, there would still be the "jerks" who would try to pass their pet off as an SD but it wouldn't be as easy!

It's hard work bringing a Service Dog into the public venue. I always have to look out for me and my dog....where we walk; looking for discarded food, making sure he's walking right beside me, not sniffing, or being distracted. Looking out for strays and making sure that the ground he's walking on is safe for him, allowing him time to go to the bathroom before we enter an establishment, being careful of where he is to lay down and on and on!!!

When I'm invited to dinner with friends, the first thing they always say to me is; "the place we've chosen for dinner has lots of room for Horton to lay down and be safe!"

I don't think until you are involved with service dogs, whether you have one, you are a puppy walker (Raiser) or you have family with a service dog, just how much commitment these dogs take and how much training goes into them and their future owners. It is SO different from having a family pet. At the moment I am guiding Aruba but very soon with her training, she will be guiding someone else around and that person has to have 100% confidence that their dog will take them around safely.

What till you hear this ........ They are trialing zones in some towns in England where it is now basically a free for all, busses, vans, cyclists, and pedestrians in the town centre. So before you might have had a pedestrian only zone but busses might have been allowed through, as they are sometimes in these zones, but there were pedestrian crossings with lights and beepers to accommodate safe passage for people. Well who ever thought this was a good idea should be shot! They showed this chap with his guide dog on the TV news last night trying to cross the road where they had always crossed with a crossing. Now the crossings are closed off, busses, cars, vans, cyclists come rushing through and people are all expected to cross this road in this zone with nothing to stop the traffic! Of course, the dogs are trained to stop and wait at the kerb until it is clear and safe to cross - so one kind van driver sees the dog and owner, stops, nothing coming the other way at that moment, so the dog starts to move, however, just as the dog starts to cross, a bus comes screeching round and of course does not stop!

The guide dog had already stopped when he saw and I imagine heard the bus coming. The dog's quick reaction to this was amazing. It is unbelievable that anyone thought this was a good idea. What about a child trying to cross this road? Or someone in a mobility scooter, or someone pushing someone in a wheelchair. The man and his guide dog were taken across the road by a good samaritan in the end who literally stopped the traffic. But honestly it made my blood boil. I would be terrified crossing this road and I can see what's coming!

Apparently it is one of these "studies", as somewhere it has shown to have resulted in fewer accidents! Oh aye and the moon is made of blue cheese! :rolleyes:

So how's the sleep-over going with Jagger? I bet he doesn't want to leave! When does he come back furreverr? ;):D

We have a laminated photo ID, and Aruba has a Guide Dog for the Blind ID tag with her unique number on it as well as her blue coat and Guide Dog flash on her lead.

I just keep it with me all the time, and to be honest, no-one has ever asked me to see it. But I would be happy to show it if anyone asked. When we go on the train or bus, I just show my ID and we get free passage. The train operators and bus companies are brilliant at allowing us free passage during training.

It's all happening tomorrow, so I will be an anxious Mummy all day waiting to hear she's fine. :rolleyes:

Here she is one year ago on 1st June 2014, she'd been with us not quite two weeks with all her puppy adventures ahead of her.

image.jpg1_zpsok0erbwq.jpg

Oh! I remember this puppy! ♥ Such a sweet girl.....such a dear little face.....Oh! My! I'm going to get weepy! I know that you're the one who had ALL the experiences [both good and not-so-good], but it really feels like she's been with all of us!

So adorably cute! Thanks for sharing the pictures with us!

Look what a difference a year makes! :D All grown up and ready for her next adventures. :D "We" had our regular assessment with the trainer yesterday and "we" did very well. I have it on good authority that all her siblings are doing great at the training school, so let's hope Aruba continues the family tradition! :D I love this girl.

image.jpg3_zpsfoxwmuov.jpg

Hello Big Girl! She's so grown-up and YOU did it! She's such a beautiful girl!!!!

I don't think until you are involved with service dogs, whether you have one, you are a puppy walker (Raiser) or you have family with a service dog, just how much commitment these dogs take and how much training goes into them and their future owners. It is SO different from having a family pet. At the moment I am guiding Aruba but very soon with her training, she will be guiding someone else around and that person has to have 100% confidence that their dog will take them around safely.

What till you hear this ........ They are trialing zones in some towns in England where it is now basically a free for all, busses, vans, cyclists, and pedestrians in the town centre. So before you might have had a pedestrian only zone but busses might have been allowed through, as they are sometimes in these zones, but there were pedestrian crossings with lights and beepers to accommodate safe passage for people. Well who ever thought this was a good idea should be shot! They showed this chap with his guide dog on the TV news last night trying to cross the road where they had always crossed with a crossing. Now the crossings are closed off, busses, cars, vans, cyclists come rushing through and people are all expected to cross this road in this zone with nothing to stop the traffic! Of course, the dogs are trained to stop and wait at the kerb until it is clear and safe to cross - so one kind van driver sees the dog and owner, stops, nothing coming the other way at that moment, so the dog starts to move, however, just as the dog starts to cross, a bus comes screeching round and of course does not stop!

The guide dog had already stopped when he saw and I imagine heard the bus coming. The dog's quick reaction to this was amazing. It is unbelievable that anyone thought this was a good idea. What about a child trying to cross this road? Or someone in a mobility scooter, or someone pushing someone in a wheelchair. The man and his guide dog were taken across the road by a good samaritan in the end who literally stopped the traffic. But honestly it made my blood boil. I would be terrified crossing this road and I can see what's coming!

Apparently it is one of these "studies", as somewhere it has shown to have resulted in fewer accidents! Oh aye and the moon is made of blue cheese! :rolleyes:

Wow! Insane! If you've ever been to India.......this is how it is there. There are NO rules/restrictions/crossing lanes or anything that resembles sanity......it's every being for themselves. I can't even imagine being visually impaired, with a Service Dog there.

I don't know if you've ever been to New York....but, the streets in Manhattan are insane and, they have painted lanes and laws but to cross the street means taking your life in your hands. The taxi's will run you down if the garment trucks don't.

For me, Los Angeles is insane as it gets for me and Horton. I get an ulcer every time we enter an airport to travel. :rolleyes:

So how's the sleep-over going with Jagger? I bet he doesn't want to leave! When does he come back furreverr? ;):D

We have a laminated photo ID, and Aruba has a Guide Dog for the Blind ID tag with her unique number on it as well as her blue coat and Guide Dog flash on her lead.

I just keep it with me all the time, and to be honest, no-one has ever asked me to see it. But I would be happy to show it if anyone asked. When we go on the train or bus, I just show my ID and we get free passage. The train operators and bus companies are brilliant at allowing us free passage during training.

I'm so glad that you are recognized for the wonderful work that you're doing with Aruba by allowing you free passage.

So, Horton and I go out to dinner last night with friends. When we entered this very popular restaurant it was not so crowded and it was so easy to walk through the other diners and go to our table, which was located in the very back of the restaurant.

By the time we had finished our dinner and we were getting ready to make our way through the dining room and out the front door, the place was jammed!!!!

As usual, Horton places himself in front of me and guides me through the maddening crowds. He's is absolutely amazing how he does this. He is not distracted by the many folks who are "oohing and awing" over his handsomness, he just keeps foraging forward. It's a dance, you have to see it to believe it. Well, as we're going along some people can't stop themselves, they just have to touch him. I can see the hands reaching out to touch him. What can you do? Just keep walking and he does!!!!

We get to the front of the restaurant and it's no longer people sitting at tables, it's a mass of legs standing shoulder to shoulder waiting. The people part as they see Horton coming through.......it will never cease to amaze me how respectful the general public is to these wonderful Service Dogs.

Of course, there are the occasional "jerks" who we do come across in our travels but for the most part the public is wonderful, respectful and in love with our dogs!

Kudos to the general public in the Cheesecake Factory in Woodland Hills, CA., last night! Horton and I both thank you! ♥

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Wow is Aruba beautiful! I will anxiously await news on how she did. I'm sure she will be fine. You have done her proud! She will be a superstar, I just know it.

I have to take Jagger back in about an hour. I am hoping since he really did do so well they will let him come back next week.

My parents adore him, but he knows he's "mine". Sticks to me like glue. Even my Dad, who can be a little grumpy (at 92 years old I guess it's expected). But my Dad just melts and smiles. My mom likes that as she thinks it's good for him.

I'll be gone all weekend volunteering at an event in Orlando. The organization goes every year and I guess it's a hugely attended conference. We knew Jagger wasn't quite ready for that yet.

Keep me posted on everyone. I just love coming here and hearing all about what you are doing and the dogs. Makes my day.

Puppies are all beautiful. I love seeing Aruba so small and then seeing her grow into those huge paws, it's amazing.

Wexler is getting to the "I really don't feel like listening to you stage". John is getting very frustrated with him. Yesterday we went for a walk and he almost pulled John out of the chair to meet a puppy. He is almost 8 now and I told John he's starting the selective hearing already. :eek:

We will not be taking a cruise this year. This will be the first time in 10yrs that we will not cruise. Instead we decided to take a road trip to North Carolina in the new van. Actually my idea. I've always wanted to go there. I have been searching for weeks to find us a house to rent. Finally found a great place and we reserved it. I will really miss the cruise considering I'm going to have to cook. But I'll handle it.

We have been working on getting this van since October. We haven't even gotten to the point to buy the van yet. We hope we will have it by next April for the trip. Hopefully in the next month or two things will get rolling.

Oh and thanks to Kat for the info, but it still can't delete my ticker. I've actually gotten rid of it but when I try to preview or submit, nothing happens.

Cindy

Puppies are all beautiful. I love seeing Aruba so small and then seeing her grow into those huge paws, it's amazing.

Wexler is getting to the "I really don't feel like listening to you stage". John is getting very frustrated with him. Yesterday we went for a walk and he almost pulled John out of the chair to meet a puppy. He is almost 8 now and I told John he's starting the selective hearing already. :eek:

We will not be taking a cruise this year. This will be the first time in 10yrs that we will not cruise. Instead we decided to take a road trip to North Carolina in the new van. Actually my idea. I've always wanted to go there. I have been searching for weeks to find us a house to rent. Finally found a great place and we reserved it. I will really miss the cruise considering I'm going to have to cook. But I'll handle it.

We have been working on getting this van since October. We haven't even gotten to the point to buy the van yet. We hope we will have it by next April for the trip. Hopefully in the next month or two things will get rolling.

Oh and thanks to Kat for the info, but it still can't delete my ticker. I've actually gotten rid of it but when I try to preview or submit, nothing happens.

Cindy

Cindy, that's exactly what happened with Brenda......she hit a certain age and really did what SHE wanted to do. She'd pull me back when I wanted to go forward and if I were more unstable on my feet, I could have lost my footing. "Correcting" her on our walks became more and more commonplace. Right now Horton is a great walker and needs very little correction, we'll see how that goes as he ages. Pulling John is not a good idea.....

Sorry to hear that you're not going to be cruising this year but your alternative plan sounds like a lot of fun for all of you, even if you have to cook. Being somewhere new kicks-it-up a notch though.

Good luck with your new van.

...Kudos to the general public in the Cheesecake Factory in Woodland Hills, CA., last night! Horton and I both thank you! ♥

Just a personal comment. The Woodland Hills Cheesecake Factory recently relocated about 1/2 mile from a rather difficult to access office building complex to a very large shopping mall with easy parking and easy access for all who need a bit extra.

We've always been impressed by the staff of the Woodland Hills restaurant and by their commitment to handling all including those who need special accommodation.

It would be great if more similar businesses would follow their lead.

Just a personal comment. The Woodland Hills Cheesecake Factory recently relocated about 1/2 mile from a rather difficult to access office building complex to a very large shopping mall with easy parking and easy access for all who need a bit extra.

We've always been impressed by the staff of the Woodland Hills restaurant and by their commitment to handling all including those who need special accommodation.

It would be great if more similar businesses would follow their lead.

Yes! The staff was over-the-top helpful in finding the "perfect" table for Horton to lay under. They really cared about his comfort. We've also been to the Cheesecake Factory in Beverly Hills and they are just as attentive but a lot smaller.

BTW, the food is to die for delicious too!

The corporate offices of this restaurant should be very proud of how their restaurants are run!

On a scale of 1-10 on being Service Dog friendly and Handicapped approved, I give the Cheesecake Factory a 10+! I highly recommend them.

I love the photos of Aruba - wow, how much she has changed in a year!!! And my puppy will turn one year at the end of this month already! Crazy. I won't be able to make it to see her on her birthday :(, but I will send her presents and a cake. :) Her training is coming along nicely.

Hi everyone.

So I'm a blubby, anxious Mummy today! Aruba has gone into the vet for her spay op - she was fine, I'm the wreck! :rolleyes:

Of course, after bedtime biscuit, no more food! So that meant all three dogs - well the despair and despondency this morning when no breakfast was forthcoming from their Dad before he left for work, and then me - all three faces had that puzzled, but where's my brekkie look! We followed our usual pre- breakfast routine, just minus any biscuits coming out of Mum's pocket!

It was a bit if a comedy routine trying to get Max and Poppy back into the house and leaving Aruba outside in the garden as I wanted to give them a biscuit before I left with her for the vet. I would have felt truly mean if she had heard me putting kibble into their bowls when she wasn't getting anything, so I had decided to feed them when I came back from the vet. So needless to say I got the "what you're leaving, what about our breakfast, we are soooo hungry, poor starved dogs, call the SSPCA, Oi hungry dogs here" looks when I hurried on out to get Aruba in the car and on her way!

Get to the vet and madam was very happy to trot in - they always are aren't they! We were seen pretty much straight away and I was alright until I had to sign the "permission form", and Aruba was being fussed over by the vet nurse, so she was happy. Then, despite me biting my lip, I admit to being very weepy, so I thought I must leave quickly before I upset Aruba. So a quick cuddle and she was off with the lovely nurse, she didn't look back! I expect she was maybe thinking "I wonder if they have any breakfast round this corner!" But I'm glad she has the confidence to go off with someone else and that will stand her in good stead when she heads off in July for her training.

I found out she will spend 15 weeks at initial training and then go to a mobility training instructor for a further 10 weeks or so. I imagine the time scale will depend on who they plan to place her with and what their specific needs might be. We will be invited to see her I think when she's almost completed the first 15 weeks. But we have a sneaky plan to hopefully see her before that! The Guide Dogs are having a big open day in September, so we will without a question of a doubt be going and we are hopeful we will at least see her - they have a viewing area so you can look down into the various kennel areas and the training arena, so even if we can't meet her, we may well be able to see her.

I will come back later and update you when she's home and settled.

Thank you all for your kind comments about Aruba.:)

Roz, it's lovely when people are accommodating and most are. You get the odd idiot, but thankfully they are few and far between.

I well remember The Cheesecake Factory from visits to the USA - delicious! You have such lovely eating places, and so much choice but we are catching up over here.

Off to get Aruba's bed all sorted and tidy for her coming home. And Piggy is in the washing machine so she will be all clean too, ready for a cuddle!