Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Roz: I am here. I try and at least read all the posts, everyday. I am not sure if it is our computer or our service but internet explorer keeps shutting down on us. I just lost a post I was in the middle of. Anyway, since mom has been home from the hospital, she is virtually bedridden. She won't even try and stand up. So, she cannot get to the bathroom, thus DEPENDS and depending on me to change them! :eek: Not a big deal except I cannot lift her to get the new ones on or the old ones off for that matter. We have gotten into a "rolling" routine! Nuff said.

I am so excited about Sunday. I can't believe it is already here! I remember when we were saying 2 months would be a long time. It is going to be a very LONG week for us, waiting to here the gender and breed and of course the name of your new baby! :)

Awwwww so sorry to hear about mom. As I always say "you do what you gotta do". I figure my mom did and still does so much for me that I feel I owe her the same in her later years.

I won't have access to a computer during Team Training until I get home on the 12th. I promise to get on the thread and let you all know about my new partner as soon as I can. You have all been such great support through this whole process and I consider you each my friend.

He/she and I have a stop-over in Pleasanton, CA., after Team Training [a 3.5 hour drive], to visit my children and to introduce her/him to them, before we drive home, about 5 hours. This will be a good test on whether he/she travels well. I can't wait to see what Brenda does when they meet.

The 12th??? :eek::eek::eek: Now you know we cannot wait that long!!! :(

So it looks like we will be spending another Saturday in CT. This Saturday we are supposed to be setting up a CCI fundraiser table at the grand opening of a PETCO in Fairfield, CT. from 12 to 5. We will be driving up once again with our favorite puppy raisers. Six people and two dogs in a mini van. Very cozy!!

I had heard something was going on cuz Danielle couldn't make it to our puppy class this weekend. Would love to be a fly on the wall in that mini van! :eek:

The 12th??? :eek::eek::eek: Now you know we cannot wait that long!!! :(

I know, I know!!!!! I will not have access to a computer at CCI [i've been asked not to go into the internet during class or while in the dorm.] There are two dogs and they don't want the Puppyraiser's to get the "word" until after Friday [from me], what CCI does is, of course, up to them.

I will try and use the hotel computer when I leave CCI and hopefully I'll be able to get the "word" out to you guys on the 10th. No pressure!!!!!!

I have a better idea......Cindy, come to Santa Rosa and go through Team Training with me. I'm allowed to have a "coach" with me. And, since Morey's not going [he has to be with Brenny], you could be my coach. That would be a fun way to meet........Sunshine did it on a cruise, you could do it at Team Training.

I know, I know!!!!! I will not have access to a computer at CCI [i've been asked not to go into the internet during class or while in the dorm.] There are two dogs and they don't want the Puppyraiser's to get the "word" until after Friday [from me], what CCI does is, of course, up to them.

I will try and use the hotel computer when I leave CCI and hopefully I'll be able to get the "word" out to you guys on the 10th. No pressure!!!!!!

I have a better idea......Cindy, come to Santa Rosa and go through Team Training with me. I'm allowed to have a "coach" with me. And, since Morey's not going [he has to be with Brenny], you could be my coach. That would be a fun way to meet........Sunshine did it on a cruise, you could do it at Team Training.

Smart phone Roz? That will get ya on the net or a laptop in a hotspot like McDonalds. I can't wait all these new pups has gotten me even so excited about this so you dont have to be. I'm doing it enough for everyone...

I'm on my way Roz! I was a coach already so I have experience! :D Of course my expertise is in the service dog field, but I'm sure I could learn about hearing dogs. How hard can it be? ;) I 'm sure the basic commands are the same, which was hard for us because all Rangeleys commands were different. I bet they have changed them since you got Brenny. What's wrong with with "stay" or "come" or "no"? How about "leave it" thats a great one to have, we really miss that one. :confused: It will be interesting to see how a successor dog is handled. We had classes, videos, and lectures everyday. Maybe with a successor you don't have to do all that. It will be just training with the dog.

I'm on my way Roz! I was a coach already so I have experience! :D Of course my expertise is in the service dog field, but I'm sure I could learn about hearing dogs. How hard can it be? ;) I 'm sure the basic commands are the same, which was hard for us because all Rangeleys commands were different. I bet they have changed them since you got Brenny. What's wrong with with "stay" or "come" or "no"? How about "leave it" thats a great one to have, we really miss that one. :confused: It will be interesting to see how a successor dog is handled. We had classes, videos, and lectures everyday. Maybe with a successor you don't have to do all that. It will be just training with the dog.

Don't tease me......We'd have so much fun!

And, I was told there will not be much on sitting and watching, it's all about hands-on and learning the new commands.

Roz, We know things will be great this week and you will be coming home with a new love in your life. You know it's going to be exhausting physically and mentally but you know it's worth it. Brenda will have a new buddy to play with and to teach the ins and outs of the Roz and Morey household. And of course what they can get away with. :D You have a big heart and alot of love to go around, even to people you only know on the internet. You have always made us feel special and you deserve the best. I can't wait to hear all about Successor and hopefully meet you and him/her one day. Ok getting emotional. Enuff said. John, Wexler and I love you and hope your journey is a good one.

Love, Cindy

Hopefully you guys can stop by for a visit. We all would love to see you.

Maybe one of these days we can meet up again. We actually have a photo shoot tomorrow (someone is writing an article for a mag and wants to photograph us for the story) and dog class tomorrow night.

Just dropping in to give my best wishes to Roz and the whole "Wizard of Roz" family on their newest addition! I know "Successor" will be a valuable and very loved member of the family.

I'll be waiting anxiously with everyone else for news and updates!

Kathi

Roz, We know things will be great this week and you will be coming home with a new love in your life. You know it's going to be exhausting physically and mentally but you know it's worth it. Brenda will have a new buddy to play with and to teach the ins and outs of the Roz and Morey household. And of course what they can get away with. :D You have a big heart and alot of love to go around, even to people you only know on the internet. You have always made us feel special and you deserve the best. I can't wait to hear all about Successor and hopefully meet you and him/her one day. Ok getting emotional. Enuff said. John, Wexler and I love you and hope your journey is a good one.

Love, Cindy

Cindy, I'm sitting here next to Brenny, just listening to her breathe and crying. I opened the computer and there were your words.........Just what I needed. I'm not saying it stopped the tears but you certainly warmed my heart. Thank you so much.....You've been a wonderful support system to many of us through the years and your words mean the world to me.

I must tell you, I'm scared. I want this so badly and I'm scared. I'm scared at the thought of "replacing" Brenny, I'm scared that "Successor" won't be as successful as Brenda and afraid that I'll let him down and make mistakes with him.....I know, I know it's in my head and I must pull myself together: Brenny's right here, Morey's with her, she's not going anywhere [not for a while] and, my new dog will only enhance my life. So, why am I so scared? I must get some good rest before Monday begins. Having all my friends and family behind me sure makes my fears seem less.

Thank you sweet Cindy......I Love You,

Roz

Maybe one of these days we can meet up again. We actually have a photo shoot tomorrow (someone is writing an article for a mag and wants to photograph us for the story) and dog class tomorrow night.

Wow! Good luck with the shoot. Let us know where we can see or read the story. I'll be your own personal paparazzi!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Just dropping in to give my best wishes to Roz and the whole "Wizard of Roz" family on their newest addition! I know "Successor" will be a valuable and very loved member of the family.

I'll be waiting anxiously with everyone else for news and updates!

Kathi

Kathi, thank you so much for your lovely words of encouragement and thoughtfulness.

I promise to come back online as soon as I'm home to let you all know how my journey has gone and all about "Successor!" With all the weird names CCI gives their dogs they should name one "Successor!" It could be called "sucky" for short.......maybe not! :o

Roz. dear sweet Roz you are going to make yourself go crazy. Most important you need to stop thinking about replacing Brenny. Your not replacing your Brenny. Replacing would be a exact copy of Brenny and it would because Brenny is defective. Your helping Brenny into a new phase of life into retirement after how many years of devoted service? Also don't sell yourself short there young lady; your half of that team and your quite the woman. Its obvious to me that you are not only very knowledgeable about service animals but you truly care about all service animals. Its not like Brenny is going to the Rainbow Bridge, so many years left. The dynamic duo is not going to break up in fact look at it this way. Brenny is going to whip that new pup into shape and help make the transition so much easier. Also your husband now has a Brenny at home while you work to keep him company during the day. I know its scary for you just think about the shoes that need to be filled by the successor pup. If I was that pup I would be very scared its quite a team you two make. Between you and Brenny I believe all these fears you have will quickly disappear.

Roz: The unknown is always scary. Once you get there you will fall right into the routine and forget about scared. You will be an amazing "Mom" and successor will be great!

Thanks Nancy. You've been "here" for all of us and that's been great.

I hope things are settleing down for you and your mom.

Well, I guess I better go get my packing done. So much stuff to bring. I want to bring my own meals so that I won't need to leave CCI to shop or eat out. I don't want to leave Successor behind and CCI won't let us take our dogs off the grounds until we actually leave to go home.

Roz. dear sweet Roz you are going to make yourself go crazy. Most important you need to stop thinking about replacing Brenny. Your not replacing your Brenny. Replacing would be a exact copy of Brenny and it would because Brenny is defective. Your helping Brenny into a new phase of life into retirement after how many years of devoted service? Also don't sell yourself short there young lady; your half of that team and your quite the woman. Its obvious to me that you are not only very knowledgeable about service animals but you truly care about all service animals. Its not like Brenny is going to the Rainbow Bridge, so many years left. The dynamic duo is not going to break up in fact look at it this way. Brenny is going to whip that new pup into shape and help make the transition so much easier. Also your husband now has a Brenny at home while you work to keep him company during the day. I know its scary for you just think about the shoes that need to be filled by the successor pup. If I was that pup I would be very scared its quite a team you two make. Between you and Brenny I believe all these fears you have will quickly disappear.

Thank you for the great "pep talk!" I needed it. Your words ring very true and I'm so glad that you've joined us in feeding into our thread.

Talk to you soon with pictures [hopefully] and stories galore!

Thank you for the great "pep talk!" I needed it. Your words ring very true and I'm so glad that you've joined us in feeding into our thread.

Talk to you soon with pictures [hopefully] and stories galore!

If you need help posting those pictures let me know. Also I can't wait till I get out to LA and hopefully we will have enough time and schedule's can mash so that Blitz can meet the famous Brenny and successor.

Finally we will get to know the name of this mystery dog! :confused: And if he/she is yellow or black. I hope we will be kept in the loop. Although CCI is very strict on the amount of info they will allow out. It's only a week. We can wait. :eek:

So to distract ourselves while we wait for Roz, I have a question: Why doesn't CCI use Chocolate Labs? Just because they're less common and not in their breeding lineage or is there some other reason? Now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a chocolate service dog.

Toby (our Chocolate Lab) is super-smart and probably would have made a great service animal. He knows at least 30-40 words and can follow multi-part commands. On the other hand, Tyler (our Yellow Lab) is dumb as a rock. Sit, down and stay are about as much as he can handle. Not that we love him any less--what Tyler lacks in smarts he makes up in affection!

Kathi