Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I can't wait to hear all about your trip as we leave in less than 3 weeks. I just ask one favor. Can you think about how you think it would be pushing a wheelchair around the ports? Thanks..:D

So difficult! Wheelchair pushers are wonderfully, giving and caring people!!!!!

I can't wait to hear all about your trip as we leave in less than 3 weeks. I just ask one favor. Can you think about how you think it would be pushing a wheelchair around the ports? Thanks..:D

Yes I could - just tell me where you are going and I will have a think for you - I have a pretty good photographic memory, and I can also post some photos for you to see, if we went to the same places.

Yes I could - just tell me where you are going and I will have a think for you - I have a pretty good photographic memory, and I can also post some photos for you to see, if we went to the same places.

We will be in Skagway, Juneau, & Ketchikan.

Thanx, :D

Nancy, don't make me worry. How are you?

There are so many of you who have not checked in for a while and you know how those withdrawls are.....Please come back and let us know how you're doing.

Guitarist - How's Blitz? Are you still training?

Cari - How's the new dog? How does Denver like him?

Marcia - Are you back to the grind?

Sunshine - How is Richs' recovery?

And, everyone else who we love hearing from please come in and tell us how you're doing. Those who are cruising or just returned from one - We'd love to hear your reviews.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Fairbourne, So glad to hear you are having a wonderful time!! Can't wait to hear all about it!

DKD, You guys must be so excited!! Are your friends going with you?

Tonight we get the puppy! :eek: He is 8 mos old. I hope I can handle him. I"ll try to post some pics tomorrow.

Fairbourne, So glad to hear you are having a wonderful time!! Can't wait to hear all about it!

DKD, You guys must be so excited!! Are your friends going with you?

Tonight we get the puppy! :eek: He is 8 mos old. I hope I can handle him. I"ll try to post some pics tomorrow.

No Cindy, we are going by ourselves this time. Next year we are doing the Southern Caribbean with friends. We are getting excited. The last Disney cruise we were on, they sat us by ourselves at dinner. We didn't know if that was because of Orson or not. I just got off the phone with them asking if we could request sitting with other people. They are putting in our request.

I've thought about pushing John off a cliff, am I still wonderful????:D:D:D:D

You are so funny......I'm spitting my tea all over my keyboard.....Boy, I sure know who not to ask for help from [Nurse Ratchet] - Poor John!!!!!

I love you Cindy....You keep us smiling!

No Cindy, we are going by ourselves this time. Next year we are doing the Southern Caribbean with friends. We are getting excited. The last Disney cruise we were on, they sat us by ourselves at dinner. We didn't know if that was because of Orson or not. I just got off the phone with them asking if we could request sitting with other people. They are putting in our request.

You know that's exactly why they sat you by yourself. It's easier than taking the chance that another passenger will complain about sitting with a dog at their table.

I feel the same way you do. I like to sit with other people too! I especially like the folks who ask the Matre'd to sit with us.

You know that's exactly why they sat you by yourself. It's easier than taking the chance that another passenger will complain about sitting with a dog at their table.

I feel the same way you do. I like to sit with other people too! I especially like the folks who ask the Matre'd to sit with us.

That's what I thought too. But the person I talked, to talked to his supervisor who talked to the dining dept.. They couldn't come up with a policy for not sitting us with other people so they put in the request. We'll see what happens. :confused:

Here's a few pics of our little house guest. He is very ummm peppy! LOL He's been great with me today but when Wexler is here we have to kennel him. He just won't leave Wex alone. He is almost 8 months old.

718588634_Copyofwexlerandkesar001.jpg.6279db44d328d6594ac485ce5a6b002d.jpg

2132595005_Copyofwexlerandkesar005.jpg.88503ce9f9a2c88a5f18fda77f426cac.jpg

Edited by rangeley

Here's a few pics of our little house guest. He is very ummm peppy! LOL He's been great with me today but when Wexler is here we have to kennel him. He just won't leave Wex alone. He is almost 8 months old.

Send Wex down here, we would love to have him as a guest. Hope your 10 days go FAST. LOL

Hope all is well and you have your van fixed Cindy.

Hope you cruisers are having a great time.

Wishing well to all those that might feel under the weather----hugs to all of you.

Roz----sounds like you again. Hugs going your way---and keep up the good spirits.

Hello to those I forgot----hope you are having a good week.

I am finally starting to feel ok again, this cold, or whatever I had was terrible, glad it is going away.

Planning for our cruise in October now, with my son and daughter in law and just signed up for another cruise with my cousins in April. That should be fun, don't get to see the cousins often.

Have a good weekend everyone and Happy Fathers Day, to the men out there.:o

What a cute face. I was NEVER a great fan of the Black Labs [until I got one!] Now, I'm their biggest cheer leader.

Good luck with him. It seems that any dog you bring into your home falls in love with Wex and just want every inch of him.

Have fun!!!!!! I know you'll have some very cute tales to tell!! ;)

Send Wex down here, we would love to have him as a guest. Hope your 10 days go FAST. LOL

Hope all is well and you have your van fixed Cindy.

Hope you cruisers are having a great time.

Wishing well to all those that might feel under the weather----hugs to all of you.

Roz----sounds like you again. Hugs going your way---and keep up the good spirits.

Hello to those I forgot----hope you are having a good week.

I am finally starting to feel ok again, this cold, or whatever I had was terrible, glad it is going away.

Planning for our cruise in October now, with my son and daughter in law and just signed up for another cruise with my cousins in April. That should be fun, don't get to see the cousins often.

Have a good weekend everyone and Happy Fathers Day, to the men out there.:o

Trudy, thank you so much for your kind words. Although I do have my very sad moments, that seem to turn into hours, I am finding it easier to smile these days.

I love planning for a cruise......it's one of my most favorite things to do!

Your ship awaits .... we are berthed almost alongside her today in Skagway.

Bet your excitement levels just notched up a wee bit more .... LOL!!:D

BTW, I asked about wheelchair access for the White Pass railway, no problem they said, they have lift access to the carriage and service dogs are most welcome.

All of Skagway is pretty flat and every kerb has a cutaway - more photos to come as the satellite allows me to upload them. There is even a wheelchair shuttle to the town centre from the dock we were on.

As we are not going to Juneau, I asked a very nice lady who was being wheeled along by, I think, her grandson, if they had been to Juneau - yes they said and they had no problems at all pushing the chair - she did say some of the pavements were not all smooth so made it a little bit bumpy for her, but not uncomfortable and they managed to visit all they wanted to and went to the Glacier.

When we were in Ketchikan it was pouring rain, so we did not walk around too much, but these kind people were able to tell me that they managed just fine there as well.

I hope this is of some help to you, but everything seemed to be well catered for everyone to be able to enjoy most of the things on offer. We did a float plane trip and I do remember there was a ramp down to the float plane dock, so I imagine if you were able to lift a person into the plane, or they could perhaps manage a couple of steps, that could be another possibility.

We didn't go on any of the big coaches, so I am afraid I can't help you with how they are set up for wheelchair access.

IMG_1535-1.jpg.47bd4015de59b06a6b96273f46d76345.jpg

DSC03397-1.jpg.0efcc03a6f7fe22d9ccfeaded68a7180.jpg

DSC03389-1.jpg.2b7d2b03bf93baa97f34620e8ea9cd01.jpg

DSC03390.jpg.e066f770e83fdf71421adbe013d73a24.jpg

Cindy - that puppy is so cute - I hope he will grow into that Nose! :D

Here is another cute picture for you all - we were quite close, maybe 15 feet away on the water! How would you like to hug him???:eek:

Also just wanted to say we would love to have dinner with you and your dogs - any time!

IMG_1327.jpg.06c74c5941b8d661289df6a162d10b0b.jpg

Edited by fairbourne

ROZ: Thanks big sis for thinking of us. We are fine. Very busy. Signed Trav up for Boy Scouts, he is a Webolos this year and will go on to Boy Scouts next year. Very busy, but slowing down for summer. Before that we had our 4th grade

California Mission project to build. Had a lot of fun and got a perfect grade even though it was not as magnifiscent as others that had help! :eek: Trav's teacher brought that to my attention when we had to do the state of California map. He showed me one that was impecible and then one that obviously a 4th grader did with no help. He told me the one with no help would definately get an "A" the other would be determined. At that point I put my own OCD aside and let Trav do his own thing. Hard at some points because I knew he could do better but you know he did most of it himself. Another teacher gave me a excellent tip. Paint the shoe box with white glue and then roll it in dirt. It comes out looking like adobe. It turned out so awesome. Then on to Cub Scouts. We put flags and crosses on the gravesites of Veterans and then removed them on Monday evening. We had tryouts for the Aquanauts badge and then we had the Pinewood Derby last Saturday. I told Papa he had to help with it. Last Thursday and Friday we all took turns turning a 2" x 4" of Pine into a "truck" racer. It was our first time and what an eye opener. Again, the one that one either 1st or 2nd, (can't remember) that had the Batman Car did not make it any more than the man in the moon. Kind of discouraging for the ones the did put their all into it. Anyway, the only good thing is that the cars all had to be weighed and weigh 5 oz.

Busy Lady and 10 year old. But wouldn't have it any other way.! Oh and we went and picked our motorhome up in Tucson on Tuesday and came home today...........

Cindy: What a cute little camper you have. Too bad he has to be crated to leave Wexy alone. I bet they are having a romping good time!

Edited by S.S. Cruisers

BTW, I asked about wheelchair access for the White Pass railway, no problem they said, they have lift access to the carriage and service dogs are most welcome.

All of Skagway is pretty flat and every kerb has a cutaway - more photos to come as the satellite allows me to upload them. There is even a wheelchair shuttle to the town centre from the dock we were on.

As we are not going to Juneau, I asked a very nice lady who was being wheeled along by, I think, her grandson, if they had been to Juneau - yes they said and they had no problems at all pushing the chair - she did say some of the pavements were not all smooth so made it a little bit bumpy for her, but not uncomfortable and they managed to visit all they wanted to and went to the Glacier.

When we were in Ketchikan it was pouring rain, so we did not walk around too much, but these kind people were able to tell me that they managed just fine there as well.

I hope this is of some help to you, but everything seemed to be well catered for everyone to be able to enjoy most of the things on offer. We did a float plane trip and I do remember there was a ramp down to the float plane dock, so I imagine if you were able to lift a person into the plane, or they could perhaps manage a couple of steps, that could be another possibility.

We didn't go on any of the big coaches, so I am afraid I can't help you with how they are set up for wheelchair access.

Thank you, Thank you!! :D

This is exactly the kind of information I was hoping for. How is the weather? Enjoy your trip!! Again, thank you! :D

Well unfortunately our house guest will be leaving today. He's great during the day with me but as soon as Wex gets home it's chaos. After 3 yelps from Wex, we have to crate the poor puppy. John and I have to be in separate rooms with the doors closed. One room with Wex and me and one with John and the puppy. The 2 dogs cannot be in the same room together unless the puppy is crated. We feel it is unfair to have the puppy crated all the time, especially since its the weekend and Wex will be here all day. We have reached out to our puppy raiser friends and a few of them have agreed to take him. Tonight he will spend at his brothers house right here in town, then hes off to western Mass for the week. We feel absolutely horrible! :( If he would just leave Wex alone it would be fine, but it's not fair to either dog. I guess we took on more than we could handle, although we had no idea that he would be so obsessed with Wex.

Cindy

Thank you for sharing this great information! I hope your cruise is filled with lots of fun and rest!

Cindy - that puppy is so cute - I hope he will grow into that Nose! :D

Here is another cute picture for you all - we were quite close, maybe 15 feet away on the water! How would you like to hug him???:eek:

Also just wanted to say we would love to have dinner with you and your dogs - any time!

It's folks like you who make our cruising with out Service Dogs so wonderful.

ROZ: Thanks big sis for thinking of us. We are fine. Very busy. Signed Trav up for Boy Scouts, he is a Webolos this year and will go on to Boy Scouts next year. Very busy, but slowing down for summer. Before that we had our 4th grade

California Mission project to build. Had a lot of fun and got a perfect grade even though it was not as magnifiscent as others that had help! :eek: Trav's teacher brought that to my attention when we had to do the state of California map. He showed me one that was impecible and then one that obviously a 4th grader did with no help. He told me the one with no help would definately get an "A" the other would be determined. At that point I put my own OCD aside and let Trav do his own thing. Hard at some points because I knew he could do better but you know he did most of it himself. Another teacher gave me a excellent tip. Paint the shoe box with white glue and then roll it in dirt. It comes out looking like adobe. It turned out so awesome. Then on to Cub Scouts. We put flags and crosses on the gravesites of Veterans and then removed them on Monday evening. We had tryouts for the Aquanauts badge and then we had the Pinewood Derby last Saturday. I told Papa he had to help with it. Last Thursday and Friday we all took turns turning a 2" x 4" of Pine into a "truck" racer. It was our first time and what an eye opener. Again, the one that one either 1st or 2nd, (can't remember) that had the Batman Car did not make it any more than the man in the moon. Kind of discouraging for the ones the did put their all into it. Anyway, the only good thing is that the cars all had to be weighed and weigh 5 oz.

Busy Lady and 10 year old. But wouldn't have it any other way.! Oh and we went and picked our motorhome up in Tucson on Tuesday and came home today...........

Cindy: What a cute little camper you have. Too bad he has to be crated to leave Wexy alone. I bet they are having a romping good time!

Wow! You have been busy. I'm glad to see that all is good and I can remember doing the CA. Mission Project when I was a Brownie and that was 122 years ago!

Congratulate Travis on a "great Job" from me.

Have a lovely weekend!

Well unfortunately our house guest will be leaving today. He's great during the day with me but as soon as Wex gets home it's chaos. After 3 yelps from Wex, we have to crate the poor puppy. John and I have to be in separate rooms with the doors closed. One room with Wex and me and one with John and the puppy. The 2 dogs cannot be in the same room together unless the puppy is crated. We feel it is unfair to have the puppy crated all the time, especially since its the weekend and Wex will be here all day. We have reached out to our puppy raiser friends and a few of them have agreed to take him. Tonight he will spend at his brothers house right here in town, then hes off to western Mass for the week. We feel absolutely horrible! :( If he would just leave Wex alone it would be fine, but it's not fair to either dog. I guess we took on more than we could handle, although we had no idea that he would be so obsessed with Wex.

Cindy

Oh, Cindy! I'm so sorry that your little houseguest didn't workout.....What's up with Wex and his magnitisim? Dogs love that big boy, especially the puppies. I know Horty and he would probably love each other! Brenda has to give Horty a quick bark sometimes so he'll leave her alone and he does back-off when she gives him the bark accompanied with a well deserved "dirty look!"

But, I think if a puppy came to visit us the same thing would probably happen.......Horty has very few filters!!!!

Thank you, Thank you!! :D

This is exactly the kind of information I was hoping for. How is the weather? Enjoy your trip!! Again, thank you! :D

It was my pleasure!

The weather has been great, we have had mostly warm sunny days and the only rain we have had was in Ketchikan. People have been sitting enjoying the sun around the pool as well, and sleeping in the sun is not something I thought I would be doing in Alaska after a good lunch!!LOL! We had a bit of a heat wave in Seward when it reached high 70's, it was the topic of conversation amongst the locals!

It was cooler and very misty as we crossed the Gulf of Alaska, but that was Ok as we enjoyed the ship and relaxed on the sea days crossings.

I have worn my heavy fleece only once when we were cruising the Hubbard glacier, and I had my hat, gloves and warm trousers on too! the other times a light fleece with t shirt underneath and we always carried a roll-up raincoat in our small back pack. Out in deck can be very windy, but you know that and you just have to be prepared for everything really - I thought as we were going on a no formal dress ship, I would have less luggage, or at least the DH hoped I would!! but in reality I think I have more as those fleeces and warmer jackets and walking shoes take up a bit of room in the suitcases.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise DKD and look forward to hearing of your Alaskan adventures too! If there is anything else I can help you with, please do ask and I will be happy to help.

Cindy, I bet Wex will be relieved when he gets home tonight - there is only so much a boy dog should have to put up with, but I imagine how you are feeling - you just want to do your best for everyone and especially that cute little pup! Don't feel bad, sounds like he will be absolutely fine.

Signing off from our balcony on a beautiful sunny afternoon in Wrangell, just enjoying a nice cup of tea! LOL!